Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 347 348 349 [350] 351 352 353 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 326542 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5235 on: September 13, 2012, 11:59 PM »

I don't like the fact that the Davis Cup has ranking points now since it gives certain individual players an advantage when they come from a country with other better players.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5236 on: September 14, 2012, 08:32 AM »

I don't like the fact that the Davis Cup has ranking points now since it gives certain individual players an advantage when they come from a country with other better players.

Really????
Now that is not fair...
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5237 on: September 14, 2012, 08:50 AM »

They introduced it 3 or 4 years ago.  Bonkers, but may be an incentive for some players to play Davis Cup - if you're country has a strong team i.e. most of the world's top 10 apart from Andy and Smugfed
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5238 on: September 14, 2012, 09:18 AM »

They introduced it 3 or 4 years ago.  Bonkers, but may be an incentive for some players to play Davis Cup - if you're country has a strong team i.e. most of the world's top 10 apart from Andy and Smugfed
I wouldn't mind if they gave points to every player who played Davis Cup (I know that wouldn't really work) but you could have a situation where Murray and Djokovic win the same amount of matches with Nole getting 625 points and Andy getting none.

I can't really think of a good way to distribute points though. Maybe give appearance points to top 32 players, regardless of how many wins / who they play?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5239 on: September 14, 2012, 10:25 AM »

It seemed really tough that Dan Evans got zero points for his heroic effort v Slovak Rep in Feb, beating players ranked nearly 300 above him.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5240 on: September 14, 2012, 12:29 PM »

They should leave Davis Cup completely out of the points reckoning IMO - there is no other fair way to do it.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5241 on: September 14, 2012, 12:40 PM »

They introduced it 3 or 4 years ago.  Bonkers, but may be an incentive for some players to play Davis Cup - if you're country has a strong team i.e. most of the world's top 10 apart from Andy and Smugfed

Ok, seems like I am slightly outdated in this...
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5242 on: September 14, 2012, 09:30 PM »

Fortunately there is little advantage.

Andy can just play in a 500 series event and earn almost as much points as a DC final win. As a matter of fact, it is an advantage for Andy not playing DC. This is because winning the Davis cup could involve playing 4 rounds x 2 singles = 8 best of 5 sets matches on the home team surface which could cause a switch in surface leading to injuries. travelling long distances and jet lag definitely will not help.

I think it is a great benefit to Andy this year being able to focus solely on GSs and not having to worry about the DC and we see the results at the Olympics and USO.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5243 on: September 15, 2012, 01:02 AM »

tmh @8.44pm sept 13th: thanks for those interesting stats.
Btw Sky didn't show Tokyo last year as I remember watching final set on line, which I v rarely do.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5244 on: September 15, 2012, 02:06 PM »

Frankly I have always felt that Davis Cup should be discontinued It is unfair and out of date
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5245 on: September 15, 2012, 04:35 PM »

Nah...it is a tradition that has to be followed.
You play for your country very rarely and Davis Cup gives you the chance to..
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5246 on: September 17, 2012, 11:14 AM »

I wonder if we will see a Murray v Nadal match in 2012?

Given the improved second serve, mental strength and aggressive forehand, can't wait to see Andy take him on again. Last set they contested was 6-0 to Murray!
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5247 on: September 17, 2012, 11:17 AM »

I wonder if we will see a Murray v Nadal match in 2012?

Given the improved second serve, mental strength and aggressive forehand, can't wait to see Andy take him on again. Last set they contested was 6-0 to Murray!
I was thinking about this the other day. Last year they must have met, what, half-a-dozen times? This year they haven't met once and I really can't see Nadal returning this year. I've been looking forward to a rematch since that Tokyo match, I'm sure Andy is ready to start reducing the H2H deficit.

The only time did they draw each other was the Miami SFs where of course Nadal withdrew.

2013 will certainly be interesting.

Murray has bagelled Nadal twice in their history to my recollection as well.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5248 on: September 17, 2012, 11:21 AM »

Aye but Nadal was injured at the end of the Rotterdam final. However, the Tokyo bagel was a legitimate one, an absolute clinic in the final set.

I'd hope they meet at the WTF in November.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5249 on: September 17, 2012, 11:41 AM »

I actually want a Federer-Andy match during WTF....it will be fun.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 347 348 349 [350] 351 352 353 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »