Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 1 Member and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 349 350 351 [352] 353 354 355 ... 536 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray's Ranking  (Read 260536 times)
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5265 on: September 20, 2012, 11:34 AM »

Yes, that assumes that Federer doesn't go to Asia but Mackem refuted that.

Do you include Shanghai in the "Asian swing" because Federer has confirmed that he's attending and I don't think being exhausted will be a good enough excuse to pull out of Shanghai for a second year (a tournament sponsored by Fed's major endorser - Rolex).

So the 675 point difference that you posted probably won't happen.

Just checked out the official site for Shanghai, and apart from it being in Chinese confused I was a bit miffed to find the 1st two pages have a man dominating pictures that hasn't won it for the last 2 years, let alone turn up for one of the years!  Disgusting!  I hope his rotten face isn't on the AO merchandise this time and that it's Andy and Nole that have pride of place yes

Anyway, finally located the English icon to translate lol

News item from 30th August

ROGER Federer has confirmed his participation for the Shanghai Rolex Masters in October, but injured Rafael Nadal, who also missed the US Open, is unlikely to make it this time.
Federer retook the world No. 1 spot after winning the Wimbledon this year. After winning the Cincinnati Masters earlier this month, Federer has accumulated a total of 21 Masters titles, equaling that of Nadal's. But the Spaniard's absence from Shanghai should give the Swiss an edge and set a new record. Besides Federer, the world's top 44 male tennis players including the No. 2 Novak Djokovic and the No. 4 Andy Murray are also expected to show up for the October 6-14 tournament.

nah

* Shanghai.jpg (414.33 KB, 1015x828 - viewed 51 times.)
[ Last edit by Bevc September 20, 2012, 11:37 AM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5266 on: September 20, 2012, 12:09 PM »

That page on the Shanghai site has been there since before the USO, so I don't think it has any bearing on Feds participation. I would be surprised if he does go there. The love affair between the Chinese  and Fed has gone on for a long time. Never forget how they reacted when Andy beat Fed in 2010. They were so convinced Fed was going to win that they were all prepared for his interview, and made a mess of it. Spending more time with Fed than with Andy, left them looking ridiculous.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5267 on: September 22, 2012, 08:22 PM »

To be honest (and this isn't my usual Eeyeore on barbiturates impression) I expect something of a slump between now and the WTF. He's achieved his ultimate goal - and it'll take a little while to really set some new targets.

That's fine and perfectly human. Next year is going to be incredible!
That had crossed my mind - but I can't realistically see Lendl allowing Murray to rest on his laurels - not that I think Andy wants to - for a few weeks and then just turn up at the WTF in the hope that he's going to win it.

That page on the Shanghai site has been there since before the USO, so I don't think it has any bearing on Feds participation. I would be surprised if he does go there. The love affair between the Chinese  and Fed has gone on for a long time. Never forget how they reacted when Andy beat Fed in 2010. They were so convinced Fed was going to win that they were all prepared for his interview, and made a mess of it. Spending more time with Fed than with Andy, left them looking ridiculous.
That was lovely to see, even although it was a bit unfair to Andy - and of course Fed lapped it all up.  Anyway he's already said he's giving the entire Asian swing a miss to give his 'wounded and exhausted' self a rest, even hinting that 'other plans' could be changed.  Probably too much to expect him to forego the entire rest of the season though.

IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5268 on: September 22, 2012, 08:29 PM »

Missed the "Eeyore on barbiturates" comment....
Yay! The slippery sea serpent smiles.... yay
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5269 on: September 22, 2012, 08:50 PM »

I actually expect the opposite, and that Andy will fly through the rest of the season.  His only rival is Nole, and he is not looking at his best, and who knows how that loss to Andy will affect him.  Can't wait for him to get back on court, and Australia can't come soon enough!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5270 on: September 22, 2012, 09:21 PM »

Aileen, never mind the rest of the season, is it mean-spirited of me to suggest that I wouldn't mind Fed giving the rest of his career a miss? Although, on second thoughts, I'd love him to stick around just long enough for Andy to thrash him on the Centre Court at Wimbledon again!
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5271 on: September 22, 2012, 09:25 PM »

I laugh at the amount of people saying Nadal will go away and not be as big a threat in the future as he has been. I fully expect Nadal to get to world no.1 again within the next two years. And I still certainly see him as the biggest threat to Andy in any slam he might have to play him in.
[ Last edit by laundry September 22, 2012, 09:31 PM ] IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5272 on: September 22, 2012, 09:31 PM »

Aileen, never mind the rest of the season, is it mean-spirited of me to suggest that I wouldn't mind Fed giving the rest of his career a miss? Although, on second thoughts, I'd love him to stick around just long enough for Andy to thrash him on the Centre Court at Wimbledon again!

Your comment made me smile. I am in full agreement with you, although I would prefer him to hang around long enough to lose a few more matches and drop out of the top 10 at least. I think a period of losing wil be good for his soul.
I laugh at the amount of people saying Nadal will go away and not be as big a threat in the future as he has been. I fully expect Nadal to get to world no.1 again within the next two years.

Not sure about that. I wonder if the longer he is out the more he will discover a world outside of tennis.  Do you think the hunger to win will be as strong?
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5273 on: September 22, 2012, 09:34 PM »

Not sure about that. I wonder if the longer he is out the more he will discover a world outside of tennis.  Do you think the hunger to win will be as strong?
I think he'll be more hungry than ever and he will explode back onto the scene when he gets his form again.

And when in full form I will always see Nadal as the best player in the world, you can underestimate him at your own peril.
[ Last edit by laundry September 22, 2012, 09:43 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5274 on: September 22, 2012, 11:31 PM »

I think he'll be more hungry than ever and he will explode back onto the scene when he gets his form again.

And when in full form I will always see Nadal as the best player in the world, you can underestimate him at your own peril.
Nadal said recently that he has another 5 years of tennis in him, but I feel that it this could be a case of the spirit being willing but the flesh being weak.  How much more punishment can his knees take given that they're already permanently damaged?  Also how long is it going to take him to get his form back?  Six months is a long time to be out at his level.

IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5275 on: September 22, 2012, 11:55 PM »

I think that with very careful management, Nadal's knees may be able to last through each year's clay season and may extend to Wimbledon max. It won't be able to absorb the hard court pounding.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5276 on: September 22, 2012, 11:59 PM »

That being the case, I can't see Nadal being happy if he became what was in effect a part-time player and sliding down the rankings as a result, so would surely call it quits before long - maybe in a couple of years' time.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5277 on: September 23, 2012, 12:10 AM »

I think that as long as Nadal continues winning the FO each year (maintain 4th rank) and master the clay season, he will continue.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5278 on: September 23, 2012, 06:38 AM »

I think that with very careful management, Nadal's knees may be able to last through each year's clay season and may extend to Wimbledon max. It won't be able to absorb the hard court pounding.

I agree with you. Nobody outside the inner circle really knows how bad Rafa's knees are, but to an outsider the prognosis looks poor. He's had a heck of a lot of time off this year already.
I also think Nole has a very good shot at RG next year. His movement on clay is excellent.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

You mesmerize me, Andy

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5279 on: September 23, 2012, 07:23 AM »

I laugh at the amount of people saying Nadal will go away and not be as big a threat in the future as he has been. I fully expect Nadal to get to world no.1 again within the next two years. And I still certainly see him as the biggest threat to Andy in any slam he might have to play him in.

I completely agree. Even if he was in a life threatening condition, he is the kind of person who would come back and win. After Andy, I am a big fan of Rafa because of his never-say-die attitude.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 349 350 351 [352] 353 354 355 ... 536 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »