Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday, Time - TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 350 351 352 [353] 354 355 356 ... 587 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 302893 times)
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5280 on: September 23, 2012, 11:30 PM »

IMO it will largely be between Novak and Murray for the Grand Slams, with Nadal up there certainly for The French and possibly Wimbledon and US if he's fit. Federer imo is done. Honestly I could be wrong, but I think he'd rather go out on a high.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5281 on: September 23, 2012, 11:50 PM »

IMO it will largely be between Novak and Murray for the Grand Slams, with Nadal up there certainly for The French and possibly Wimbledon and US if he's fit. Federer imo is done. Honestly I could be wrong, but I think he'd rather go out on a high.

Sounds like wishful thinking. I suspect Fed will try and break the age-related records now. Like become the oldest player at number 1 etc. He will be a force next year without a doubt.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5282 on: September 24, 2012, 12:09 AM »

Not really wishful thinking, if you think about it he's slowing down, the Fed of old would of overcome the likes of Berdych in the US Open in years gone and going all of 2011 without a GS and only winning 1 in 2010 isn't exactly Fed's high standards. To me he's beginning to look extremely frustrated now. It looks like mind games are getting to him and when he goes behind he USUALLY fails to pull it back. I mean I myself predicted Berdych to beat Federer simply due to the fact Berdych's large serve and power behind his ground strokes would force fed into a lot of unforced errors. Talking of unforced errors, he's making a lot more than he used to.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5283 on: September 24, 2012, 01:07 AM »

Sounds like wishful thinking. I suspect Fed will try and break the age-related records now. Like become the oldest player at number 1 etc. He will be a force next year without a doubt.
From an ESPN report on the Olympic final -

At no time did it feel as though Federer had the momentum or the game plan on this day to be effective. He was slow to some balls and careless with others, including an easy volley that he slammed into the net. "For the first time in a long time,'' McEnroe observed, "[Federer] looked his age.''

The same ESPN reporter also said that "It was obvious that Murray had got inside Federer's head"

Well Murray has got inside Federer's head in the past, and he might just have succeeded again at Wimbledon had the Weather Gods not intervened, because Fed was showing signs of fading in the 2nd set, although he did manage to pull it together in the end.  Without that rain break I still believe Murray could have won, especially if the match had gone to a fifth.  He was by far the fitter of the two.

IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5284 on: September 24, 2012, 02:00 AM »

I think so too, Aileen.
I also think that if they were to play the exact same match tomorrow, roof and all, Andy would win this time. yes

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5285 on: September 27, 2012, 06:21 PM »

That page on the Shanghai site has been there since before the USO, so I don't think it has any bearing on Feds participation. I would be surprised if he does go there. The love affair between the Chinese  and Fed has gone on for a long time. Never forget how they reacted when Andy beat Fed in 2010. They were so convinced Fed was going to win that they
were all prepared for his interview, and made a mess of it. Spending more time with Fed than with Andy, left them looking ridiculous.
I remember that well Michelle - they were so disrespectful towards Andy.  I bet they're desparate for smugfed to win this time. Serves them right if Andy cruises through.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5286 on: September 27, 2012, 08:30 PM »

I think so too, Aileen.
I also think that if they were to play the exact same match tomorrow, roof and all, Andy would win this time. yes
Me too.  That rainbreak drained Andy's confidence.  Can't see that happening again. Smile

I remember that well Michelle - they were so disrespectful towards Andy.  I bet they're desparate for smugfed to win this time. Serves them right if Andy cruises through.
Hope Andy wins it for the 3rd successive year! cmon yeah  Fed is an ambassador for Rolex though, so I'm prepared to believe some pressure was put on him to get his act together and play.  Even if he goes out in his first match, the presence of the GOAT will be sufficient.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5287 on: September 27, 2012, 08:48 PM »

I think so too, Aileen.

I don't think it was so much the roof being closed that did it but that Fed had a chance to have a talk with Annacone.  He adopted a totally different strategy when he came back after the rain break.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5288 on: September 28, 2012, 12:01 AM »

I don't think it was so much the roof being closed that did it but that Fed had a chance to have a talk with Annacone.  He adopted a totally different strategy when he came back after the rain break.

I knew Fed had had a talk with Annacone - but I wonder why Lendl didn't have a few words with Andy?  Anyway I don't think it's right that players should be allowed to talk to coaches during rain breaks unless the match is seriously interrupted.
IP Logged
underenthused

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5289 on: September 28, 2012, 01:24 AM »

Looking at Andy's masters1000 results if you add all of them togeather and exclude shanghai its only 1200 odd points. He has very little to defend next year . Huge scope t move up rankings.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5290 on: September 28, 2012, 10:05 AM »

I knew Fed had had a talk with Annacone - but I wonder why Lendl didn't have a few words with Andy?  Anyway I don't think it's right that players should be allowed to talk to coaches during rain breaks unless the match is seriously interrupted.
Do we know that Lendl didn't?   But he couldn't necessarily predict how smugfed would respond I suppose and in any case I think it was the roof which was decisive.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5291 on: September 28, 2012, 10:36 AM »

I seem to remember Andy saying that he didn't speak to Lendl during the rain break, but I could be wrong. I don't know, but I wonder if that suggests that at that point Andy didn't think there was much wrong with the way he was playing, which to be honest, would have been fair enough.

One day I will sit and watch that final again. It will be easier to do it now lol. My feeling in the days after though, was to think that the big issue was the rain. I still can't help thinking that maybe Andy rushed at the end of the second set, giving Smugfed the chance to break, which he did. I felt that for the vast majority of sets one and two Andy was the dominant player, but that break boosted Smugfed and helped him get rid of the nerves - I certainly thought that early on Smugfed was the more nervous of the two. Talking to Paul Annacone would have helped Smugfed as well.

I think if that match was played again now Andy would win. I'm convinced that had the rain not intervened Andy would probably have won that day to be honest. As it was, I still think he should be proud of the way he fought. Mind you, I wonder how he would have felt that day if he'd known how the rest of the summer would have gone for him. I still think he's done incredibly well to pick himself up after that loss and move forward.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5292 on: September 28, 2012, 12:11 PM »

Hope Andy wins it for the 3rd successive year! cmon yeah  Fed is an ambassador for Rolex though, so I'm prepared to believe some pressure was put on him to get his act together and play.  Even if he goes out in his first match, the presence of the GOAT will be sufficient.

I wonder too whether performance fee inducements were dangled before federer to make it worth his while to go East for just one tournament. While I don't believe smugfed does it for the money it might just have helped heal those 'wounds' he complained about  Whistle
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5293 on: September 30, 2012, 01:49 PM »

My understanding of Andy's schedule in his push to close in on the #1 ranking is as followed :

Tokyo      :   1/10/12 Singles & Doubles     500 points
Shanghai :   7/10/12 Singles                   1000 points
Basel       : 22/10/12 Singles                     500 points
Paris        : 29/10/12 Singles                   1000 points
WTF        :   5/11/12 Singles                    1500 points
==================================
Total points                                             4500 points

I hope Andy will skip Basel to allow his body to recover and play well at WTF.

If Andy can gain about 2000 points to reach a total of ~9000 for this year, it will put him in a good position to strive for the #1 ranking in Q1 next year.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tournaments/Event-Calendar.aspx
[ Last edit by Philip September 30, 2012, 02:01 PM ] IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5294 on: September 30, 2012, 01:55 PM »

I too think and hope that Andy gives Basel a miss, it's only 500 points. I want him to be in peak condition for the WTF! Smile
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 352 [353] 354 355 356 ... 587 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »