Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 ... 593 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 313758 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5310 on: October 05, 2012, 03:24 PM »

Not really. Getting ahead of ourselves would mean that we are saying he will do it. No one is saying that. However, I think it's good to have some idea of what Andy needs to do to do it. He's got his work cut out, clearly, but it's possible.
It's just that we've barely had time to let this one sink in and now people are talking about winning three slams and becoming number 1 by April. Let's not put too much expectation on him for once and just try and enjoy it and see what he can do. Maybe if he starts off strong next season we can start thinking about this but for now it's some distance away.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5311 on: October 05, 2012, 03:48 PM »

Well Andy has himself set new goals now.  But I agree we shouldn't allow great expectations to put too much pressure on him [and us].  I like the idea of us savouring what he's achieved - without being complacement for the future, as if we would be.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5312 on: October 05, 2012, 03:51 PM »

Well Andy has himself set new goals now.  But I agree we shouldn't allow great expectations to put too much pressure on him [and us].  I like the idea of us savouring what he's achieved - without being complacement for the future, as if we would be.

Good post! clap
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5313 on: October 05, 2012, 04:55 PM »

It's just that we've barely had time to let this one sink in and now people are talking about winning three slams and becoming number 1 by April. Let's not put too much expectation on him for once and just try and enjoy it and see what he can do. Maybe if he starts off strong next season we can start thinking about this but for now it's some distance away.

I quite agree. Now that Andy has got his Slam I would like to see him consolidate himself at  no 3 and enjoy his new status .We have never had a British player  higher than no 4 before
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5314 on: October 05, 2012, 05:24 PM »

He has been higher before though-he was briefly no 2!Not that that takes anything away from his phenomenal achievements this year.I completely agree-I hope he really does enjoy the feeling of where he's at-he's certainly earned the right to.

While I'd love,truly love to see him at no 1,I have to admit that now he's got a slam under his belt,my bigger dream for him would be to see him win Wimbledon.Before it was (like I think it was for many on this site) just to see him win a slam-any slam!Now it's Wimbledon.

But sure,at the end of the day,as long as he's playing well enough to achieve his dreams and goals,whether they're ranking ones or specific victories,I'll be one happy Andy fan Smile
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5315 on: October 07, 2012, 08:19 PM »

I was just looking through the ATP Masters 1000 and 500 winners and noticed how little Murray has won recently compared to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Now I know he's World Number 3 atm, but he really needs to pick it up a bit more in these tournaments if he wants to become World Number 1...
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5316 on: October 07, 2012, 09:17 PM »

I was just looking through the ATP Masters 1000 and 500 winners and noticed how little Murray has won recently compared to Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. Now I know he's World Number 3 atm, but he really needs to pick it up a bit more in these tournaments if he wants to become World Number 1...

I think you'll find that is exactly what Andy is saying. The fact of the matter is that Andy has focused on achieving his first major win, and now he has. He can now go in to majors, maybe with the possible exception of the FO, knowing he really can win, and while I think we all know he will want more slams, knowing he can do it has clearly freed him up to set the bar higher for himself. He realises that to do that he has to be consistent through the year, and I think he will do everything possible to achieve that in 2013. That said, in addition to the three titles Andy has won, Brisbane, the Olympics and the USO, he has been to two other finals, Miami and Dubai, so it hasn't been a bad year.
[ Last edit by teejay1 October 07, 2012, 09:24 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5317 on: October 07, 2012, 09:20 PM »

Good point. I'm looking forward to Murray's 2013. An Aussie Open win by him would be wonderful.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5318 on: October 07, 2012, 10:31 PM »

If you look through a few old match threads from earlier in the year of some of the bad losses (Mahut, Chardy even) you'll see some of the doom and gloom (myself among them) worrying if Murray will even stay top 4. His YTD ranking was awful, and he's done poor in the Masters throughout the year. Thankfully he's more than made up for that with the Olympics and the USO, and has instead put himself back amongst the top few rather than looking over his shoulder at the chasing pack.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5319 on: October 08, 2012, 12:40 PM »

I agree MH - one loss, that was nearly a win, doesn't mean that Andy has suddently stopped being a top 4 tennis player.  I'm sure that Andy has put the loss behind him and we should do.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5320 on: October 08, 2012, 01:04 PM »

The worst Andy is going to finish this year is world number 3, unless Rafa comes back to win the ATP World Tour Finals and Andy has a bad run. I cannot see either of those scenarios playing out. Rafa, if he comes back for WTF cannot be 100% match fit, and will be lucky to get through the RR stage. Andy has some points to defend up to the WTF, but has none to defend for the ATP World Tour Finals itself. 

Like ‘teejay 1’ says, by winning the USO Andy proved to himself that he can win a grand slam.  This was his number one objective for this year! Having already won 8 Master’s 1000 tournaments’ he already knew that he can win more of these if he applies himself. As for 500’s and 250’s if he wanted to be known for winning lots of ATP tournaments he could sweep them up wholesale, but without a slam it would not have that credibility he, and we want.  He now has to apply himself to winning this week’s Masters 1000 Shanghai.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5321 on: October 08, 2012, 01:07 PM »

So right Teejay 1 and Dex.  There is too much being read into this loss against Raonic.  Andy looked tired and so did not put too much into the match.  He will not have liked losing but will not think it is the end of the world.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5322 on: October 08, 2012, 06:11 PM »

So right Teejay 1 and Dex.  There is too much being read into this loss against Raonic.  Andy looked tired and so did not put too much into the match.  He will not have liked losing but will not think it is the end of the world.

Thanks. I've just said on another thread, this loss is exactly the same as the loss to Chardy after the Olympics. Andy was tired, he had given all he had to give on that particular day. It can happen after a big win such as a major. Even Smugfed had a bad patch after his first major win. It happens. There is some history of it happening.

I have to be really honest now. I would love Andy to win Shanghai this week and I do think he has a great chance, but I am going to see what happens. If he wins that's great, if he doesn't that is all right as well. I know he would lose points if he didn't, so I don't need reminding of that fact, but I think some patience on our part is required. Andy has had a brilliant summer, a career year. Within weeks he notched up the two biggest wins of his career to date. As far as I'm concerned, anything he does now, at least for the rest of this year, will be a bonus, as much as I'd love him to win the WTF.

It seems clear to me that Andy is focusing now on doing well in Shanghai and Paris, before going on to try to do much better than last year at the WTF, when he had to pull out with injury after playing Ferrer.

Let's get one thing straight. The loss in Japan was a disappointment. It was not the end of the world, or the end of Andy's career. It will only be those things if Andy allows that to happen, and he won't. Andy has never been a quitter.

Frankly, I think some would have coped better if he'd lost to Nishikori in the final in Japan, because it would have been the one time Nishikori had beaten him, and so some would have said that Andy was tired, it didn't mean anything long term. However, unfortunately, he lost to Raonic, who is being hyped beyond all reason as the next big thing, long before he has actually done anything worth hyping him for. Worse, Raonic beat Andy in Barcelona earlier in the year, so an understandable loss, complete with understandable frustration from Andy, is being turned into a full-scale panic. How quickly we have forgotten the USO, when Andy had to fight through three tie-breaks to win his third round match, had to fight from a set and 5-1 down in his quarter final, and had to overcome losing a 2 set lead in the final to take the title. That latter one was against a player who is a damned sight better than Raonic will ever be.

With respect, I think some thought that after Andy won the USO he would go on to win everything in sight immediately. If only life was that simple. The key for Andy, it seems to me, is to regroup, get himself together, and not put himself under too much pressure immediately. I firmly believe the wins will come, and I also believe Andy will finish the year well. In the meantime he doesn't deserve to be pilloried for one lapse, and he doesn't deserve to have one blip turned in to the drama of the century.

This loss to Raonic will turn out to be as relevant as the losses to Mahut at Queen's and Chardy at Cincy, and should be thought of in those terms.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5323 on: October 08, 2012, 06:53 PM »

Well said Teejay.  Both times he has lost to Raonic he has either been injured (back in Barcelona) or tired (Tokyo).  If Raonic is sensible he will know that.  i have just listened for the forst time to Milos' interview before the match at USO.  He definitely is a cocky young man and will be even cockier next time he meets Andy so lets hope that Andy is fit and well or he meets him at the stage when Raonioc runs out of steam.  As I said before Andy had played 20 sets since the USO but Raonic had only played 10 (I think).
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5324 on: October 08, 2012, 06:55 PM »

The voice of reason once again TJ.  Great post - I couldn't agree more!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 ... 593 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »