Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 359 360 361 [362] 363 364 365 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 323561 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5415 on: October 21, 2012, 01:44 PM »

Really hope you're feeling better soon TJ.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5416 on: October 24, 2012, 02:39 PM »

Not really a ranking issue but we're down to only 6 Grand Slam champions still playing.  Could be 5 if Hewitt packs up soon
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5417 on: October 24, 2012, 02:46 PM »

Not really a ranking issue but we're down to only 6 Grand Slam champions still playing.  Could be 5 if Hewitt packs up soon
Again just goes to show the utter dominance of the top 3 (and now hopefully Murray).
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5418 on: October 24, 2012, 03:45 PM »

Again just goes to show the utter dominance of the top 3 (and now hopefully Murray).

I know what you mean, of course, but just a minor point. Andy is top three now.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5419 on: October 25, 2012, 11:28 AM »

Federer 17
Nadal  11
Djokovic  5
Del Potro  1  (a fantastic win in USO 2009, but only appearance in a Grand Slam final)
Murray    1   (5 Grand Slam Finals, so I would expect more)

I was very envious for Andy when Del Potro won at his first attempt in a GS Final. But he so far has not been able to repeat those feats. His H2H against the top four is not good.

Federer  13-2    Del Potro
Nadal     7-3    Del Potro
Djokovic  6-2   Del Potro
Murray  5-1      Del Potro

IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5420 on: October 25, 2012, 12:54 PM »

Andy is No 2 on the Fedex Reliability zone for tie breaks won this year.
I knew he'd improved a lot.  Have almost....stopped worrying in tie breaks... Whistle
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5421 on: October 25, 2012, 02:02 PM »

Andy is No 2 on the Fedex Reliability zone for tie breaks won this year.
I knew he'd improved a lot.  Have almost....stopped worrying in tie breaks... Whistle

I have always felt he is good in tiebreaks...
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5422 on: October 25, 2012, 02:43 PM »

I was very envious for Andy when Del Potro won at his first attempt in a GS Final. But he so far has not been able to repeat those feats. His H2H against the top four is not good.

Federer  13-2    Del Potro
Nadal     7-3    Del Potro
Djokovic  6-2   Del Potro
Murray  5-1      Del Potro

Ive always had DelPo as the main threat the the Big 4 but these stats make sobering reading if you are a DelPo supporter. Come to think of it how many GS semi-finals has he been in? Is it only 1?

He's probably too one-dimensional and doesn't move well enough to win another Slam. I think Andy would just keep him moving, whilst keeping it away from his forehand as much as possible, until he tires out.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5423 on: October 25, 2012, 02:53 PM »

Ive always had DelPo as the main threat the the Big 4 but these stats make sobering reading if you are a DelPo supporter. Come to think of it how many GS semi-finals has he been in? Is it only 1?

He's probably too one-dimensional and doesn't move well enough to win another Slam. I think Andy would just keep him moving, whilst keeping it away from his forehand as much as possible, until he tires out.
Agreed. He's probably the best of the rest but his game just isn't good enough to trouble the top 4. Berdych is less consistent but clearly more capable of causing them problems (his record is appalling against Djokovic and Nadal but he rarely gets trounced like DelPo has).

Truthfully I think there's little between Del Potro, Tsonga and Berdych. Ferrer will consistently beat anyone below the top 8 but can only trouble any of the top 4 (Murray) on clay. The other three are consistent hard hitters but just don't have enough variety. They can all punish the top guys on their day, but if the top four are on form they don't stand a chance.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5424 on: October 29, 2012, 02:31 PM »

It is now mathematically possible for Andy to finish 'Year End' number 2. Since Roger Federer bowed out of Paris Masters he will drop 1000 points. Andy would have to win in Paris and go deep into the WTF. Federer would have to loose the WTF Title, never the less it is now possible!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5425 on: October 29, 2012, 03:40 PM »

That could well motivate Andy to do as well as possible both weeks.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5426 on: October 29, 2012, 03:52 PM »

Most straightforward way to work out what needs to be done is to look at the Year-to-date rankings, which are as follows:

1 Djokovic 11,410
2 Federer 9465
3 Murray 7510
4 Nadal 6795

So forget current rankings, forget trying to work out who's defending what, because all those points come off after Paris anyway.

Murray needs to gain 1960 ranking points on Federer to overtake him before year-end. Realistically, it means he needs to win both Paris and WTF, hoping Federer doesn't get past the SFs in London. Realistically, this is probably too much to ask for.

If Murray is YE #2 I'll be shocked. So please, let's stop getting ahead of ourselves. Let's just hope Andy closes the gap as much as possible and then makes a really challenge early next year.
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5427 on: October 29, 2012, 03:59 PM »

It was always possible for Andy to finish 2nd, Federer could have lost in Paris early even if he played.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5428 on: October 29, 2012, 04:45 PM »

Most straightforward way to work out what needs to be done is to look at the Year-to-date rankings, which are as follows:

1 Djokovic 11,410
2 Federer 9465
3 Murray 7510
4 Nadal 6795

So forget current rankings, forget trying to work out who's defending what, because all those points come off after Paris anyway.

Murray needs to gain 1960 ranking points on Federer to overtake him before year-end. Realistically, it means he needs to win both Paris and WTF, hoping Federer doesn't get past the SFs in London. Realistically, this is probably too much to ask for.

If Murray is YE #2 I'll be shocked. So please, let's stop getting ahead of ourselves. Let's just hope Andy closes the gap as much as possible and then makes a really challenge early next year.
You're right tmh.  Don't let's set ourselves up for disappointment just because he doesn't achieve the unlikely.  If he won WTF I'd be more than happy.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5429 on: October 29, 2012, 05:16 PM »

You're right tmh.  Don't let's set ourselves up for disappointment just because he doesn't achieve the unlikely.  If he won WTF I'd be more than happy.

Yeah, that should be his goal now..
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 361 [362] 363 364 365 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »