Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 328566 times)
boogers
World No 1

Touched by his noodly appendage

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5505 on: January 27, 2013, 09:09 PM »

Won't there be a sanction for that? Or does he get a pass as he's over 30?

He gets a pass as he's over 30. I think they have to play less mandatory events.
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5506 on: January 27, 2013, 09:11 PM »

Can't believe Nadal is still 5th in the world based on just five months' points!

It's his most successful five months though - the dirt season.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5507 on: January 27, 2013, 09:16 PM »

It's his most successful five months though - the dirt season.

Aye. He could very well plummet down the rankings if he isn't back to full fitness. That'd be fun to see - he'd become the most dangerous floater in every draw.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5508 on: January 27, 2013, 09:23 PM »

Let's see how he's seeded at RG.

That should put the cat amongst the pigeons.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5509 on: January 27, 2013, 09:37 PM »

Andy is currently 3rd favourite for the French Open believe it or not. That's behind Nadal and Joker and ahead of Federer. But what if Nadal is way down the rankings by the time of the French, Andy could be seeded 2nd with a fighting chance of reaching the final! The French Open is the only Slam final Andy has not lost yet so if he improves a bit on clay this year, as I think he will, this could be the year.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5510 on: January 28, 2013, 07:46 AM »

Andy's movement on clay is "poor" compared with other top 3 and Ferrer. He runs, can't slide, crucial.  Andy's losses to Ferrer all came on clay, I believe.
Need to be realistic here and therefore not too disappointed.
However, Wimbledon  yahooo
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5511 on: January 28, 2013, 07:51 AM »

I think he's got a great chance of making up ranking points relative to the others during the clay season, so long as he remains injury free, but I agree on the need to be realistic.  I think a lot will depend on his draws, and also if Lendl has a masterplan on how to improve Andy's clay game, which he probably does.
IP Logged
bhill_mfc
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5512 on: January 28, 2013, 08:08 AM »

There's a big chance that if Andy can get to #2 in the rankings before the French Open (and hence the 2nd seed), Djokovic, Federer and Nadal could be on the opposite side of the draw as Andy.

With Andy having less points to defend than Federer over the next few months, there's a possibility it could happen if he plays well on the build up M1000 clay tournaments. Andy has 0 points to defend in Indian Wells and Madrid, and Fed has 0 points in Miami (which he has announced he won't be playing this year) and is defending maximum points in Rotterdam, Dubai (500s) and Indian Wells (1000). So a big chance to get ahead.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5513 on: January 28, 2013, 08:41 AM »

There's a big chance that if Andy can get to #2 in the rankings before the French Open (and hence the 2nd seed), Djokovic, Federer and Nadal could be on the opposite side of the draw as Andy.

With Andy having less points to defend than Federer over the next few months, there's a possibility it could happen if he plays well on the build up M1000 clay tournaments. Andy has 0 points to defend in Indian Wells and Madrid, and Fed has 0 points in Miami (which he has announced he won't be playing this year) and is defending maximum points in Rotterdam, Dubai (500s) and Indian Wells (1000). So a big chance to get ahead.
There's a chance, but it's certainly not a big one. The odds of all three of them being on one side of the draw is about 0.25. Just as much chance as drawing Rafa in the Quarters.

Worth noting that due to the Wimbledon seeding system, even if he gets to #2 before then he could still end up 3rd seed due to Fed winning it last year. But probably getting a little too far ahead of ourselves.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5514 on: January 28, 2013, 08:44 AM »

I also think they'd make sure that the top 2 seed who is less likely to make the final would be put in the same half as another top player.  A bit like everyone expecting Andy to go on Fed's side at the AO, just in case he took an early exit and left that half a bit empty.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5515 on: January 28, 2013, 08:55 AM »

I feel a bit stupid lol. It's just taken me a while to work out how Djokovic, Federer and Nadal could all be on the opposite side of the draw from Andy at RG lol. Obviously it would need Andy to be second seed, but I'd momentarily forgotten about Nadal being five in the rankings now, that seems weird.

Nadal could be awkward in the quarter finals for any of them if he's fit - I bet Federer would 'love' that lol. As for Andy, I think it would be good to see him play Rafa again, to show how far he has come since Rafa has been out, but I have to be honest, I'd rather it wasn't on the red stuff lol.
IP Logged
boogers
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5516 on: January 28, 2013, 09:42 AM »

The French Open is the only Slam final Andy has not lost yet so if he improves a bit on clay this year, as I think he will, this could be the year.

Lol - the Career Grand Slam of Fail.
IP Logged
bhill_mfc
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5517 on: January 28, 2013, 10:25 AM »

Had a quick look Andy's final points total for the years 2009-2012. At the end of these years, Andy's points were as follows:

2009: 7030
2010: 5760
2011: 7380
2012: 8000

Since 2010, Andy has been improving. I would argue it's only since the start of 2010 we should treat as being relevant, as Andy's schedule was very much in favour of the 250/500/1000 tournaments and less focused on the Grand Slams. Andy's current points total as of 28.01.2012 is 8480, having added 480 points by improving from last years SF appearance in Melbourne to Final this year.

This rate of improvement is encouraging especially given Federer and Nadal's points totals have fluctuated both up and down during the same years. Meanwhile, Djokovic saw a dramatic increase from 2010 year end total to 2011 (as we would have expected). I'm hopeful we will continue to see the rise of Andy for 2013 and beyond.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5518 on: January 28, 2013, 10:35 AM »

I feel a bit stupid lol. It's just taken me a while to work out how Djokovic, Federer and Nadal could all be on the opposite side of the draw from Andy at RG lol. Obviously it would need Andy to be second seed, but I'd momentarily forgotten about Nadal being five in the rankings now, that seems weird.

Nadal could be awkward in the quarter finals for any of them if he's fit - I bet Federer would 'love' that lol. As for Andy, I think it would be good to see him play Rafa again, to show how far he has come since Rafa has been out, but I have to be honest, I'd rather it wasn't on the red stuff lol.
Andy has agreat opportunity to be 2nd Seed at RG.  He just has to perform better than the Federer between now and RG.  Problem is that Federer may be playing more tournies e.g. Rotterdam, Dubai.  I think Andy should play Rotterdam or Memphis otherwise he'll go into IW cold as its' 5 weeks away - that's almost as long as the 'Off' Season.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5519 on: January 28, 2013, 10:52 AM »

I think Andy should play Rotterdam or Memphis otherwise he'll go into IW cold as its' 5 weeks away - that's almost as long as the 'Off' Season.

Absolutely right. 5 weeks is far to long without competitive matches. If Andy is serious about attempting the number 1 position this year he has to play before then. And giving the Davis Cup a miss may help as well (not sure how ranking points are calculated for Davis Cup though).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 365 366 367 [368] 369 370 371 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »