Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 366 367 368 [369] 370 371 372 ... 536 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray's Ranking  (Read 260846 times)
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5520 on: January 28, 2013, 01:06 PM »

Jonathan Overend said on the radio this am that Murray would be playing Dubai. Is this correct cos that means Murray would be able to defend his 600 points after all ?
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5521 on: January 28, 2013, 01:09 PM »

How exactly does the ranking system work? If a player defends a title they won the previous year, does that mean someone like Djokovic get no additional points for winning it the second or in this case consecutive time?

Will Andy only be awarded the additional points for going one step further than last time??

I could not improve on the excellent explanations given on this and other pages but I will again recommend the   live-tennis.eu site which does all the work for you.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5522 on: January 28, 2013, 01:36 PM »

I could not improve on the excellent explanations given on this and other pages but I will again recommend the   live-tennis.eu site which does all the work for you.

The live ranking site is brilliant, but I've no idea what it's talking about today (somehow got Andy on 7280 at the moment!) I expect it will sort itself out soon. Not sure why the ATP rankings page hasn't updated yet either.

IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5523 on: January 28, 2013, 02:12 PM »

The live ranking site is brilliant, but I've no idea what it's talking about today (somehow got Andy on 7280 at the moment!) I expect it will sort itself out soon. Not sure why the ATP rankings page hasn't updated yet either.

I can see why you are confused.  So am I but I've never known this site to make a mistake and of course there's always a first time All the players seem to have lost the points they gained during the aussie Open Also the event took place in 2012 starting Jan15th so the weeks are almost the same Can anyone else help
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5524 on: January 28, 2013, 02:15 PM »

I've just had another look this time at the race rankings and they are all incorrect as well The site is having a nervous breakdown we'll have to wait, as you say, for corrections to be made.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5525 on: January 28, 2013, 02:23 PM »

atpworldtour.com/rankings   have the rankings correct and Andy is shown as having 8480 points.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5526 on: January 28, 2013, 02:31 PM »

atpworldtour.com/rankings   have the rankings correct and Andy is shown as having 8480 points.
Yup, got that now! It was still on 14/1/13 when I looked before - it was correct on Andy's page but not on the rankings page. Odd!

I have known the live rankings site have the odd blip, but this does seem more of a post AO breakdown! Just thought I'd mention it in case people were looking for the first time.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5527 on: January 28, 2013, 08:28 PM »

Absolutely right. 5 weeks is far to long without competitive matches. If Andy is serious about attempting the number 1 position this year he has to play before then. And giving the Davis Cup a miss may help as well (not sure how ranking points are calculated for Davis Cup though).
Nothing for those outside the World Group, apart from in the play-off (although a player could only win 15 points maximum there anyway, so almost irrelevant). Points are quite substantial in the WG though.

Presumably they hadn't added on the 1200 points from Melbourne at that time.

Jonathan Overend said on the radio this am that Murray would be playing Dubai. Is this correct cos that means Murray would be able to defend his 600 points after all ?
Only defending 300 as Dubai is only a 500.

Can't see any other mention on this though. Could be Jonathan has just assumed he'll be returning, or else he knows something we don't.

This is what Andy said a while back:

“The last few years I hadn’t played particularly well in Indian Wells. After Australia this year I went over to train in Miami afterwards, which I felt worked well. I flew back to Dubai, then back over for Indian Wells.

“You know, that beginning part of the year, I was a bit tired for certain tournaments. So I decided after the Australian Open, I’ll go home for a little while and then go over to Miami and train and stay over in America for a while, get used to the conditions, try and reduce the travel at the beginning of the year.”

Also, he's not on the entry list:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?p=13140890#post13140890

So unless he has a sudden change of heart and applies for a wild card, he won't be playing.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter January 28, 2013, 08:40 PM ] IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5528 on: January 28, 2013, 08:36 PM »

With Nadal now not in the top 4, Andy really needs to get to #2 before the French. The draw could end up very one sided with three of Nadal / Djoko / Murray / Federer in the same half. So if Andy reached #2 with a bit of luck Djokovic could end up with both Fed and Nadal in his half, that would be sweet Smile
IP Logged
Connor
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5529 on: January 28, 2013, 08:48 PM »

With Nadal now not in the top 4, Andy really needs to get to #2 before the French. The draw could end up very one sided with three of Nadal / Djoko / Murray / Federer in the same half. So if Andy reached #2 with a bit of luck Djokovic could end up with both Fed and Nadal in his half, that would be sweet Smile

I doubt Fed would cause him much trouble.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5530 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21 PM »

I've just had another look this time at the race rankings and they are all incorrect as well The site is having a nervous breakdown we'll have to wait, as you say, for corrections to be made.

http://live-tennis.eu/ seems OK now!
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5531 on: January 29, 2013, 07:16 AM »

Unless Rafa has a disastrous clay court season, I can see him getting back to 4 by RG. Hope he's on the opposite side to Nole. God help anyone having to play both of them on clay. shocking
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5532 on: January 29, 2013, 09:21 AM »

Unless Rafa has a disastrous clay court season, I can see him getting back to 4 by RG. Hope he's on the opposite side to Nole. God help anyone having to play both of them on clay. shocking

It's nearly impossible, unless Ferrer has a disastrous clay season and I don't really see that happening. The problem is that Rafa would have to improve on his results from last year and he is the defending champ everywhere aside from Madrid.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5533 on: January 29, 2013, 10:01 AM »

It's nearly impossible, unless Ferrer has a disastrous clay season and I don't really see that happening. The problem is that Rafa would have to improve on his results from last year and he is the defending champ everywhere aside from Madrid.
Of course he could potentially make up 950 points in Sao Paulo and Acapulco if he plays and wins both. But the chances of him getting back to #4 before, well, Wimbledon do seem very slim.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5534 on: January 29, 2013, 12:48 PM »

according to today's Independent Andy is not playing any tournaments before Indian Wells (though personally I'd not be surprised if he applied for a wild card for delray beach to get some match practice just before).
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 366 367 368 [369] 370 371 372 ... 536 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »