Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 1 Member and 6 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 ... 539 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Murray's Ranking  (Read 262872 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5565 on: February 18, 2013, 08:00 PM »

If Zarfeen gets bbc tv. if she puts in 485 on the red button thingy all this years tennis tournaments ,with dates, are listed  The site has been very much changed and its now almost as good as it was 3 years ago
It's taken them long enough, and they still aren't very good at updating scores.  Also, unless I'm missing something, you can no longer just type in the page number to get tennis, or anything else for that matter, but instead have to scroll through the sports section.

Hmm, sounds like too much work for me w00t
So, I'll stick with the MW link..
You don't get BBC TV anyway! lol

I see in Bleachers that Federer wants Squash to be made into an Olympic sport I wonder if he is thinking of giving up competitive tennis, take up squash instead and try for a gold medal in Rio? Murray would then slip into no2 position in Tennis  Just a thought
Great minds think alike ...Very Happy   Also I don't see why squash shouldn't be included as an Olympic sport given that it seems to be popular, so if they have tennis and badminton then why not?  I understand though that the criteria for an Olympic sport is its global appeall, so maybe that's the reason.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 18, 2013, 08:09 PM ] IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5566 on: February 18, 2013, 08:43 PM »

Smugfed used to play squash. He wants it to be included in Rio according to the bleacher reports.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5567 on: February 18, 2013, 09:03 PM »

Smugfed used to play squash. He wants it to be included in Rio according to the bleacher reports.
It sounds like SmugFed's got a hidden agenda here, but if tennis tires the old man out these days I hate to think what squash will do.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5568 on: February 18, 2013, 09:13 PM »

It sounds like SmugFed's got a hidden agenda here, but if tennis tires the old man out these days I hate to think what squash will do.

If he does turn to squash can I have front row seats? I'd love to see what it would do to him.

No, actually, forget I said that. I shouldn't be unkind lol.
IP Logged
BigNose
Challenger Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5569 on: February 18, 2013, 09:30 PM »

If Andy wins Indian Wells and Fed doesn't at least make the final, he will be #2.

You sure? Remember Andy drops 300 points for not playing Dubai. Then again Fed has 500 points to defend at Dubai. Things could get interesting on the rankings front real fast. Not too happy about Andy missing Dubai to be honest.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5570 on: February 19, 2013, 01:24 AM »

You sure? Remember Andy drops 300 points for not playing Dubai. Then again Fed has 500 points to defend at Dubai. Things could get interesting on the rankings front real fast. Not too happy about Andy missing Dubai to be honest.
Me neither, but even if he played Delray Beach that would be something and, given the field, he'd have a very good chance of winning it.  Also it's near Miami, so no travel hassle.

Apart from ranking points, it doesn't take an expert to figure out that going into a Masters without a warm-up tournament after five weeks without any competitive tennis is a liability.   Fair enough, Andy says he can adjust easily to playing at IW because it's hard court, but he's still going to be match rusty.

From what we've been hearing though is that his focus is the clay court season, so if he wants to put all his eggs in one basket, well that's between him and Lendl and we'll just have to accept it.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5571 on: February 19, 2013, 09:30 AM »

I've got a feeling that Andy will ask for a late WC for Delray Beach. I see Mardy Fish has pulled out on the 13th Feb and no one has replaced him yet. I'm sure if Andy asked for a WC he'd get one. The current US Open Champion!! They would be falling over themselves to slot him in.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Top Seed

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5572 on: February 19, 2013, 02:49 PM »

An article in 10sballs about andys ranking

Roger Federer’s surprising early exit from the ABN AMRO 500 series at the hands of eventual losing finalist Julien Benneteau not only had the effect of disappointing hundred of ticket holders who’d hoped to see their idol perform, it has also thrown up an opportunity for Andy Murray to leap-frog him in the ATP rankings – all he has to do is win Indian Wells. It is of course known as the “fifth slam”, being as it is the biggest tournament outside of the four slam events in terms of spectator attendance and prestige. In fact it has the second biggest arena in world tennis – the formidable 16,100 seater main court.

Andy has of course been here before, he hit second spot in August 2009, his highest ranking to date – but has been steadfastly at number 4 until Rafa Nadal’s injury (plus his own performances on court of course) eased his progression into the top three.

Murray does have some history at Indian Wells, he reached the final in 2009 which obviously contributed to his career highest ranking to date. However, Federer may have exited early in Rotterdam, but he’s a four times winner at Indian Wells, and the defending champion no less.

Murray then, will be just one of several players highly motivated to do well in front of the estimated 310,000 spectators expected over the course of the Masters 1000 tournament. With Rafael Nadal unsure whether he’s going to participate, it’s perhaps a good opportunity for some movement in the top end of the rankings, certainly players such as Tomas Berdych and Juan Martin del Potro might back themselves to prosper on the hard courts – as too will Murray.

If Murray does manage to achieve the feat, it will be the first time he’s dropped out of the top 2 since June last year – but before anyone starts calling time on his career they’d do well to remember that you can never write Roger Federer off – his goal for the year will be to regain the top spot, not lose rankings places, so he’ll be going all out to defend his title at Indian Wells.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5573 on: February 19, 2013, 03:00 PM »

I've got a feeling that Andy will ask for a late WC for Delray Beach. I see Mardy Fish has pulled out on the 13th Feb and no one has replaced him yet. I'm sure if Andy asked for a WC he'd get one. The current US Open Champion!! They would be falling over themselves to slot him in.

I do hope you're right, February this year has been a tennis desert
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5574 on: February 19, 2013, 03:04 PM »

IN Levine, Jesse CAN 88 replaced Mardy Fish, but there's still 2 WC's on offer, Querrey, Sam USA took the first WC.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5575 on: February 19, 2013, 03:39 PM »

I do hope you're right, February this year has been a tennis desert

Right now, it feels like the off-season and so, for Andy, IW will be like starting all over again - just like Brisbane.  Sure, he knows what he's doing but I hope he doesn't get a stinker of a draw in the 1st Round at IW e.g.  Bhagdatis, Dimitrov, or maybe even Lopez or Haase
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5576 on: February 19, 2013, 05:55 PM »

IN Levine, Jesse CAN 88 replaced Mardy Fish, but there's still 2 WC's on offer, Querrey, Sam USA took the first WC.
Andy's had plenty of time to ask for a wildcard if he wanted one and as DB starts on the 25th I'm not too optimistic.  Also I got the impression that his mind was firmly made up when he said in more than one interview that he wouldn't be playing in another tournament before IW.  My thinking is that it's all down to what Lendl wants him to do.

Right now, it feels like the off-season and so, for Andy, IW will be like starting all over again - just like Brisbane.  Sure, he knows what he's doing but I hope he doesn't get a stinker of a draw in the 1st Round at IW e.g.  Bhagdatis, Dimitrov, or even Lopez or Haase
It does feel a bit strange this year because up until now Andy has always played at least one tournie between the AO and IW.  

Brisbane was really a comfortable warm-up for him, so using a Masters to get back into the groove again doesn't make sense unless he really isn't all that bothered about IW, although he can't very well come out and say that!

However if he goes out in his first match for the 3rd consecutive year I hope it is to somebody like Baggy or Dimitrov and not the embarrassing defeats of the last two years.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 20, 2013, 12:30 AM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5577 on: February 19, 2013, 06:50 PM »

From what we've been hearing though is that his focus is the clay court season, so if he wants to put all his eggs in one basket, well that's between him and Lendl and we'll just have to accept it.

that wasn't the impression I got Aileen.  Yes he wants to prepare better for clay court but I'd understood that he wanted to do better in IW than previous years and therefore wasn't rushing around playing lesser tournaments.  Like you I think it would make sense to ask for a WC for Delray beach but I think we have to have faith that Lendl knows what he's doing, if he doesn't.  Incidentally if he really was focusing only on the clay court season would he not perhaps have done a Rafa and gone down to Latin America to play?  Or at least be practising on clay now?  No I still think he has IW and Miami in his sights first
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5578 on: February 19, 2013, 07:12 PM »

I read something where the tournament director said he was holding back a wild card in case Andy decided to play, but I'm not sure when that was dated, or how likely he thought it was to be used.

It does seem odd to me that Andy would deliberately not play anything between AO and IW.  I got the point of not wanting to play Dubai, or Rotterdam, but it is a long gap and I feel he might as well enter a 250 up the road.   The only reason for holding off on deciding whether or not to enter would be if he felt he needed to rest up from an injury.  I was thinking that if he felt his toe-nails never had quite recovered from the US Open, then maybe it might make sense to have a long break, but it still feels dangerous going into a Masters after a long break and no warm-up.  More so because most other players have been playing during this time.

If only we knew the IW draw, it would be easier to decide if practice, or rest is more important!  lmao
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5579 on: February 19, 2013, 07:14 PM »

^ It's kind of intriguing to see how he comes out when he does play. His not playing must be for a reason.  Exciting times!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 371 [372] 373 374 375 ... 539 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »