Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 372 373 374 [375] 376 377 378 ... 586 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 301387 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5610 on: February 25, 2013, 07:17 AM »

Although it seems worrying that Andy is not down to play more than 2 500 events I am sure that he and Lendl know what they are doing as they both want him to get to No 2 at least this year.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5611 on: February 25, 2013, 07:24 AM »

^ "at least"? Doubt if he can catch Nole
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5612 on: February 25, 2013, 07:40 AM »

Although it seems worrying that Andy is not down to play more than 2 500 events I am sure that he and Lendl know what they are doing as they both want him to get to No 2 at least this year.

None of the top players are. They all want to focus on the big events.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5613 on: February 25, 2013, 08:12 AM »

From the posts on here I thought that the others had committed to more.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5614 on: February 25, 2013, 08:14 AM »

From the posts on here I thought that the others had committed to more.

Federer has committed to one (Halle) and Djokovic isn't scheduled to play any.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5615 on: February 25, 2013, 09:23 AM »

"Roger Federer will not play for two months after the Indian Wells event in March to spend time with his family and prepare for the clay-court season." The BBC say, but this does not mean anything, as the only tournement he played last year between IW and the Clay season was the Miami Masters 1000 event and he only picked up 45 world ranking points. So he has virtually no points to defend during this period. Meanwhile Andy got to the final and has 600 points to defend! However, Andy can make some inroads to Federer's No 2 ranking at Indian Wells where he has only 10 points to defend while RF is the current champion.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5616 on: February 25, 2013, 10:28 AM »

Players are all supposed to play 4 500 tournaments right?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5617 on: February 25, 2013, 11:26 AM »

You can play 6 500 events and they will also be counted as long as they are your 6 best results.

It's a tough ask to expect a top player to play 21 events these days and go deep in all of them though, which is probably why none of them do it.

The rules were changed last year - I think before that  4 x 500 and 2 x 250 were always counted, but I could be wrong. Now it is a bit more flexible, so long as the 4 x 500 rule is met.

Not surprisingly, Ferrer has probably come closest to the possible 6 x 500 points scenario. Looking at his rankings break down, he played 5 x 500s (including Monte Carlo), Olympics and DC. But his 6 best include 2 x 250 titles, and he has two more in his non - countables at the moment!
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/David-Ferrer.aspx?t=rb

Tipsy, on the other hand, has done so badly in the 500s that he only counts one (90 points), and MC (90 points), but he did play 4 so he can count more 250s in his 6 best.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Janko-Tipsarevic.aspx?t=rb

It seems Nadal has zeros for Valencia and Beijing which remain for a year, and he can't count his 6 best. So he has a few non - countable points although he played so few tournaments.   

I hope that makes sense!

Davis Cup only earns points in the World Group and WG play offs.

I can't see that Andy has actually committed to any 500s yet, except Monte Carlo, which counts for some reason. But entries have to be in 6 weeks before, so there's still about 3 weeks to go before the Barcelona deadline.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5618 on: February 25, 2013, 01:25 PM »

The rules were changed last year - I think before that  4 x 500 and 2 x 250 were always counted, but I could be wrong. Now it is a bit more flexible, so long as the 4 x 500 rule is met.

Not surprisingly, Ferrer has probably come closest to the possible 6 x 500 points scenario. Looking at his rankings break down, he played 5 x 500s (including Monte Carlo), Olympics and DC. But his 6 best include 2 x 250 titles, and he has two more in his non - countables at the moment!
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/David-Ferrer.aspx?t=rb

Tipsy, on the other hand, has done so badly in the 500s that he only counts one (90 points), and MC (90 points), but he did play 4 so he can count more 250s in his 6 best.
http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Janko-Tipsarevic.aspx?t=rb

It seems Nadal has zeros for Valencia and Beijing which remain for a year, and he can't count his 6 best. So he has a few non - countable points although he played so few tournaments.   

I hope that makes sense!

Davis Cup only earns points in the World Group and WG play offs.

I can't see that Andy has actually committed to any 500s yet, except Monte Carlo, which counts for some reason. But entries have to be in 6 weeks before, so there's still about 3 weeks to go before the Barcelona deadline.

Thanks for that. When reading the ATP site I got the impression that you could count your 6 best results if only you met that requirement of playing at least 4 500 events. Glad that's actually correct, because an extract from the rule-book and Wikipedia stated that you could only count 4 500 results. I like the new rule better!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5619 on: February 25, 2013, 02:31 PM »

This is from the official rulebook for 2013

Commitment Players. The year-end ATP Singles Rankings is based on calculating,
for each player, his total points from the four (4) Grand Slams, the eight (8)
mandatory ATP World Tour Masters 1000 tournaments and the Barclays ATP World
Tour Finals of the ranking period, and his best six (6) results from all ATP World Tour
500, ATP World Tour 250, ATP Challenger Tour and Futures tournaments.

So yeah looks likes they did ammend it

So from this:

1) Brisbane - already played
2) Monte Carlo
3) Queen's

Are the only 3 he has commited to this year so far,

Which leaves:

500 series
------------

1) Bareclona Apr 22nd
2) Hamburg Jul 15th
3) Washington Jul 29th
4) Tokyo Sep 20th
5) Beijing Sep 20th
5) Basel Oct 21st
6) Valencia Oct 21st

250 series
------------

1) Los Angeles Jul 22nd
2) Bangkok Sep 23rd

I've included the 250 series with the most plausible for his schedule and the 2 mentioned events are events he has played in previously (L.A in 2010 and Bangkok in 2011)
[ Last edit by The Gnome February 25, 2013, 02:54 PM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5620 on: February 25, 2013, 03:03 PM »

I personally think that He and Lendl are holding their cards close to their chest until they see how the year pans out for them, for instance he could play Barcelona if he has a dismal Indian wells/Miami. although i noticed he dnp in Rome last year after playing in Barcelona so maybe he doesn't want that happening again.

I think he will wait until further into the year after the US open when his schedule opens up a bit and play Tokyo and Basel or Valencia if he needs to
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5621 on: February 25, 2013, 03:24 PM »

Was it not Madrid he didn't play last year?  Mind you, he went out so early in Rome he might as well not have bothered!  I don't think Andy likes playing Madrid
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5622 on: February 25, 2013, 05:14 PM »

Was it not Madrid he didn't play last year?  Mind you, he went out so early in Rome he might as well not have bothered!  I don't think Andy likes playing Madrid

Yes you are correct it was Madrid he didn't play
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5623 on: February 26, 2013, 12:24 AM »

The Olympics is 750 isn't it? I still think it should be the same as major, or if not, at least a Masters.
Yes, 750 points were awarded, but as with Monte Carlo it is counted in the ranking breakdown with the 500 events.

Monte Carlo is included as fulfilling the 500 commitment, as far as i'm aware he won't have to defend his Olympics points until 2016, only 4x 500 will  be counted so playing 6 would be worthless
The Olympics points come off this year.

I suspect Andy will play Tokyo and Basel (if fit, having been on the entry list for the last two years running). MC is one. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play Barcelona again. But ultimately all it would mean is that he has a 0 in his 6 countable tournaments, and tbh I think Novak is similar anyway (Dubai, Basel, MC... does he play any other 500's? No 250's this year with no Belgrade..).

At the very top these are almost insignificant. It all boils down to the Masters and Slams. Win a good chunk of those and the top 1/2 ranking comes with it. Can't be expecting to get top 2 on a few 250 and 500 events.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5624 on: February 26, 2013, 02:36 AM »

Yes you are correct it was Madrid he didn't play
He didn't play Madrid because of a back problem, which was probably just as well because I don't think he'd have been at all comfortable with the slippery blue clay and would most likely have made an early exit.  The same problem also affected him in Barcelona and Rome, after which tournament he had some kind of painkilling injections to keep him going through the FO and beyond.

I can only assume that as nothing has been heard about his back since last autumn when he pulled out of Basel at the last minute, that the trouble has now cleared up and that we can look forward to a decent showing on clay this year.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 26, 2013, 02:39 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 372 373 374 [375] 376 377 378 ... 586 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »