Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 379 380 381 [382] 383 384 385 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 323028 times)
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5715 on: March 31, 2013, 11:10 AM »

As Andy has said he is not bothered about ranking. The only benefit he would gain is in the draw of tournaments. It would make his passage easier through to the latter stages. I think this preoccupation about his ranking bring no benefit apart from an easier draw.
In a recent TV interiew I heard Andy explain that he's not focusing only on crunching the numbers to calculate the best route get to #2, or #1, but  will concentrate his efforts on winning events and which, in his opinion will mean the top spots will be earned completely by ones real results /efforts and, which is more meritous, rather than playing a numbers game.
In other words he wants get there by doing it his way  . I interpreted that as being clearly goal orientated with his stragic plan.

I dont see how you can say he's not bothered about his ranking (?), in fact in 2012 he said would like to finish the year as # 1 and that would be trying to become # 1 in 2013.  His goal must be to take the # 1 spot, surely?
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5716 on: March 31, 2013, 11:56 AM »

Andy has only 90 points to defend in Monte Carlo and Fed isn't playing (but has no points to defend), so the way I understand it is that if Andy can reach at least the SF he'll still be clear of Fed.

That's a happy thought. How is it that Federer and Nadal can miss Miami? I thought that all Masters except Monte Carlo were mandatory unless a medical certificate was produced
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5717 on: March 31, 2013, 11:58 AM »

That's a happy thought. How is it that Federer and Nadal can miss Miami? I thought that all Masters except Monte Carlo were mandatory unless a medical certificate was produced

Both can miss it because they have 600 career wins.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5718 on: March 31, 2013, 12:07 PM »

I dont see how you can say he's not bothered about his ranking (?), in fact in 2012 he said would like to finish the year as # 1 and that would be trying to become # 1 in 2013.  His goal must be to take the # 1 spot, surely?
  Aye, but the point is surely that it is sustainable and comes as a result of a structured programme, not a simple accumulation of points from any old tournament.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5719 on: March 31, 2013, 12:13 PM »

Both can miss it because they have 600 career wins.

Are you sure? It comes as complete news to me.  I have followed Tennis for years and if you are correct as I expect you are, it is something I have missed .
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5720 on: March 31, 2013, 12:17 PM »

Are you sure? It comes as complete news to me.  I have followed Tennis for years and if you are correct as I expect you are, it is something I have missed .

1.08 Reduction of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Commitment

A. A player’s number of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments shall be reduced by one (1) tournament for reaching each of the following milestones:

1) 600 matches* (as of 1 January of the commitment year)
    2) 12 years of service
    3) 31 years of age (as of 1 January of the commitment year)

If all three (3) conditions are met then the player has a complete exemption from the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 player commitment.

The first Year of Service shall be the first calendar year in which a player has competed in at least twelve (12) tournaments offering ranking points.

* From 2010 only main draw singles matches played in the following events will be used in the player’s match count for purposes of this rule.

ATP World Tour
    Barclays ATP World Tour Final
    Grand Slams
    Davis Cup
    Olympics

Challenger and Futures matches played prior to 2010 will remain on the player’s record as relates to this commitment reduction rule.

B. A player who is eligible for a reduction of his ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments must be in good standing with the ATP in order to receive a reduction of required ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments

This means Muger Federer can miss as many Masters as he likes, whereas Nadal can only miss one.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5721 on: March 31, 2013, 01:53 PM »

David Ferrer can miss one as he is 31 years old he has won 515 matches so has a little way to go to the required 600. He has also got 12 years service as he turned pro in 2000.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5722 on: March 31, 2013, 01:56 PM »

So he can miss two? Lucky guy, but I doubt he will miss any, he just plays and plays to sustain his ranking.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5723 on: March 31, 2013, 02:17 PM »

David Ferrer can miss one as he is 31 years old he has won 515 matches so has a little way to go to the required 600. He has also got 12 years service as he turned pro in 2000.

His Birthday is on Tuesday, he is is still 30 as of now. And you don't need 600 match wins, just 600 matches played. He already achieved the latter.

Federer can miss as many as he wants.

Nadal can miss one. Starting next year he will be able to miss two, because he will have played 12 full seasons.

Djokovic can miss one as well.

Andy doesn't meet any of those conditions as of yet (527 matches played, including today).
[ Last edit by silver lining March 31, 2013, 02:23 PM ] IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5724 on: March 31, 2013, 02:41 PM »

So he can miss two? Lucky guy, but I doubt he will miss any, he just plays and plays to sustain his ranking.

He missed two Masters tournaments last year - Canada and Shanghai (though the Shanghai withdrawal was due to illness).

It's a nice perk for the players to have. It must be draining playing the back-to-back Masters tournaments in particular, so it's good for players who meet the condition to have the option to miss one if they want. I wouldn't be surprised if Federer misses Shanghai this year - he seemed reluctant to play last year, and never plays any warmup events in China or Japan. It's a long way to go for one tournament.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5725 on: March 31, 2013, 03:31 PM »

Hope Rafa ups his ranking. Imagine meeting  him  in the quarters shocking
Chances are Rafa will be #5 at best going into RG and Wimbledon as he is defending almost maximum points over the clay season. The only event in which he could overtake Ferrer before those tournaments is if Nadal has a clean sweep of the clay tournaments and Ferrer drops a chunk of points. Although given Ferrer made the SFs in RG, I guess it's not impossible Nadal could overtake him before Wimbledon - a lot comes down to how successful Rafa is during the clay season.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5726 on: March 31, 2013, 03:46 PM »

It also depends on today. If Ferrer wins that #4 ranking will be pretty much out of Rafa's reach until at least Wimbledon and that is if Ferrer has an absolute stinker of a clay season. Rafa can only gain 910 points during the clay season and has a lot to lose. He has never won a hard court Masters, all clay Masters and RG. And the only year where he won all of the big clay tournaments was in 2010.
[ Last edit by silver lining March 31, 2013, 03:51 PM ] IP Logged
caroline
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5727 on: March 31, 2013, 04:00 PM »

I'm sure that I heard RF saying that he may have to rethink what tournaments he is going to enter between now and the FO. I'm guessing that if Andy takes the number 2spot he may well play MC.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5728 on: March 31, 2013, 04:05 PM »

Yeah, I thought of that too. If Andy gets to #2 today, he will have to outperform Fed in MC and at least defend his QF points there.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5729 on: March 31, 2013, 07:41 PM »

1.08 Reduction of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 Commitment

A. A player’s number of ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments shall be reduced by one (1) tournament for reaching each of the following milestones:

1) 600 matches* (as of 1 January of the commitment year)
    2) 12 years of service
    3) 31 years of age (as of 1 January of the commitment year)

If all three (3) conditions are met then the player has a complete exemption from the ATP World Tour Masters 1000 player commitment.

The first Year of Service shall be the first calendar year in which a player has competed in at least twelve (12) tournaments offering ranking points.

* From 2010 only main draw singles matches played in the following events will be used in the player’s match count for purposes of this rule.

ATP World Tour
    Barclays ATP World Tour Final
    Grand Slams
    Davis Cup
    Olympics

Challenger and Futures matches played prior to 2010 will remain on the player’s record as relates to this commitment reduction rule.

B. A player who is eligible for a reduction of his ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments must be in good standing with the ATP in order to receive a reduction of required ATP World Tour Masters 1000 commitment tournaments

This means Muger Federer can miss as many Masters as he likes, whereas Nadal can only miss one.

Thanks so much I am astounded these rules need amending
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 379 380 381 [382] 383 384 385 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »