Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 388 389 390 [391] 392 393 394 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 323035 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5850 on: April 19, 2013, 10:37 AM »

Can anyone see Fed wining Madrid?? ,
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5851 on: April 19, 2013, 10:44 AM »

Stranger things have happened. Madrid has never been a particularly good tournament for Nadal, compared to the other clay masters (he has also never managed to win all three + Barcelona). He is not invincible there and Djokovic has injury worries.  Besides, you never really know with Fed. Do you guys remember what he did in 2011, when he was on the verge of ending the year as number #4? He won three tournaments in a row!

I think the best bet is for Andy to at least reach the quarter-finals in the remaining events.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5852 on: April 19, 2013, 10:46 AM »

Yes agree , but he is getting older all the time, and he hasn't had such a good run recently !!! But I know you can never count him out, but I really hope he goes out very very early !!
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5853 on: April 19, 2013, 10:49 AM »

Yes agree , but he is getting older all the time, and he hasn't had such a good run recently !!! But I know you can never count him out, but I really hope he goes out very very early !!

Of course, but he didn't have a good year in 2011 either. You just never know. Besides, it would be much nicer to get the ranking back, because of Andy performing well, than counting on Federer to fail. That's my opinion at least.
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5854 on: April 19, 2013, 11:06 AM »

Nah, but you never know.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5855 on: April 19, 2013, 11:10 AM »

Yes that's true, but in my opinion Andy and Djoko are the two best players in the world , what ever the rankings say. Andy will get number two back very soon I am sure .
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5856 on: April 19, 2013, 11:13 AM »

Yes that's true, but in my opinion Andy and Djoko are the two best players in the world , what ever the rankings say. Andy will get number two back very soon I am sure .

Right now, yes they are. And he will definitely get his no.2 back very soon. yes

I think Fed will come till the QF or if it is an easy draw, he'll come till the semis.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5857 on: April 19, 2013, 11:52 AM »

What's all the panic about ? so he lost a match so what. Really we should all calm down the number of points he lost is not drastic. Andy will go on to the next tournament and try his best that is all we can ask for.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5858 on: April 19, 2013, 02:34 PM »

Totally agree Littlebuddha.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5859 on: April 20, 2013, 09:21 AM »

What's all the panic about ? so he lost a match so what. Really we should all calm down the number of points he lost is not drastic. Andy will go on to the next tournament and try his best that is all we can ask for.
Very true.  I think because the rankings positions have been fairly static at the top of the men's game in recent years that the ups and downs that used to be so common place come under greater scrutiny than they deserve.

It was inevitable that in the period after Andy surpassed Roger that he'd be vulnerable to dropping down again.  The main thing that bugs me isn't so much the rankings, but that while the pair are switching places, or close to switching places, the more annoying Fed fans are willing Andy to lose (more than normal) and generally being bitter and ungracious about it.

I also liked that Andy was getting quite a lot of respect for being #2, because even the most cynical of Brits (and the press) have to admit that's good.  For some reason, they think it's OK to describe the third/fourth best in the world as rubbish, or mediocre.   I realise that's not actually very important, but I quite enjoyed the turn-around. Very Happy

It would be fantastic if Andy moved into the grass court season firmly in the #2 position, but being realistic, being #2 during the clay season doesn't actually help that much.  Status wise, everyone treats Rafa as #1 regardless of ranking, and knows Andy isn't the 2nd best clay-courter.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5860 on: April 20, 2013, 11:33 AM »

Doesn't Andy only have make the QF to overtake him again even if Federer wins?
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5861 on: April 20, 2013, 12:48 PM »

Doesn't Andy only have make the QF to overtake him again even if Federer wins?

He has to make the QF if Federer wins Madrid. If Federer doesn't defend his points, Andy doesn't have to do anything.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5862 on: April 20, 2013, 05:50 PM »

Thanks SL that's something to hope for if Andy still has problems with clay by then
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5863 on: April 20, 2013, 06:07 PM »

The main thing that bugs me isn't so much the rankings, but that while the pair are switching places, or close to switching places, the more annoying Fed fans are willing Andy to lose (more than normal) and generally being bitter and ungracious about it.
meh.. best ignored.
Good post Sparkle.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5864 on: April 20, 2013, 06:47 PM »

If on Monday the Rankings show Federer 10 points ahead of Murray why are you all saying that AM needs to make QF in Madrid? He needs only 10 points to draw at least level with Smugfed whatever result RF has! That to me is to turn up and ideally win his opening match. If RF loses early then it becomes bonus time! 

Or have I missed something? Getting old so quite possible!

I still expect RF to struggle to get to London O2 as his strategy to target  slams could fall apart if he has an early loss in any of them. We will see. This website has got Andy scheduled to play Barcelona, which he is not, which he should have done to get match fitness? I hope that he gets a little further in Madrid to get some match practice before Rome & Rolland Garros.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 388 389 390 [391] 392 393 394 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »