Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 [393] 394 395 396 ... 581 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 293934 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5880 on: April 29, 2013, 12:56 PM »

Rafa is always miles ahead of Murray after Roland Garros. Usually picks up 4000+ points to Murray's 1000 ish. Up to Murray to turn the tables from Wimbledon onwards.

Personally I can see Rafa finishing the year #2. Murray needs to really step it up on the clay or else he's going need to go even better in the latter half of the year, and that will take some doing.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5881 on: April 29, 2013, 02:12 PM »

Fair point tmh given Rafa has so few points to defend after the clay season has finished this year, assuming his knees hold up.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5882 on: April 29, 2013, 04:16 PM »

Rafa has a load of points to defend on clay and Andy not that many, also Andy lost the 1st Round in Queens so that can change the picture re points, we also don't know how Nadals knees will be on the grass and hard courts. So I'm not as sure as MH that Rafa will be back to #2, I think Andy could well be #2.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5883 on: April 29, 2013, 06:18 PM »

Rafa has loads of points to gain from Wimbledon onwards, but Andy can make considerable gains in Canada and at Cincinatti - although he will also lose the Olympics points.  It's guess work if Rafa's knees and form can hold out beyond the clay season, so it's really hard to predict.  I mainly hope that Andy can pick up his points on clay compared with last year to keep things competitive in the Year to Date rankings.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5884 on: April 29, 2013, 06:23 PM »

They said yesterday during the final in Barcelona that Federer is now 9 in the race. I have to admit it made me smile, especially the incredulous tone Cowan said it in. I don't wish to be ungracious really, and it is still fairly early in the year, but it would serve Federer right if he didn't qualify for the WTF this year after last years little performance. I'm torn though, do I want him to not qualify, or do I want him to qualify and have Andy beat him? Decisions, decisions lol. It still amazes me a bit that he hasn't won a title yet this year. Would it count as being ungracious if we reminded the Fedites that Andy has won two already?

Rafa being 2 in the race now sort of surprised me a bit, but I suppose it shouldn't have done. The question is whether he can maintain once the clay season is over. We'll see, but I wonder if the USO series will be big this year, particularly for Andy, Djokovic and Nadal. That said, I would fancy Djokovic and Andy for the USO itself this year ahead of Nadal. Oh, and I still think Andy is going to win that little tournament in SW19, you know, the one on the grass, a proper tennis surface Whistle. I think Djokovic is going to win the French, I really do, and then we'll have days and days of the pundits going on ad nauseum about his career slam.

Seriously though, I still think Andy will be back at 2 in the world rankings before the French. I still think he was right to skip Barcelona and spend some time working on things with Lendl. Also, rushing to play Barcelona would have sent a signal to the others that he is anxious about his form on the clay and he has no reason for that, not on the basis of one bad day. I'll worry if things don't go well in Madrid and Rome, but I think Andy will be all right.

I'm sort of vaguely worried Andy will be drawn to meet Rafa in the quarters at the French. It would be just his luck. Then again, I think if I prepare myself for that it might not happen, so..... pray I still feel that anything beyond the quarters at the French will be fantastic for Andy. If he can get to the quarters (and why not?) he will at least defend his points from last year. Anything after that has to be a bonus. I'd love him to get to the semi's again. The final would be stunning (just dreaming, don't jump on me for jumping the gun lol) and if he was to surprise everyone and win you'd have to drag me out of my padded cell to watch Wimbledon!
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5885 on: April 30, 2013, 06:54 PM »

They said yesterday during the final in Barcelona that Federer is now 9 in the race. I have to admit it made me smile, especially the incredulous tone Cowan said it in. I don't wish to be ungracious really, and it is still fairly early in the year, but it would serve Federer right if he didn't qualify for the WTF this year after last years little performance. I'm torn though, do I want him to not qualify, or do I want him to qualify and have Andy beat him? Decisions, decisions lol. It still amazes me a bit that he hasn't won a title yet this year. Would it count as being ungracious if we reminded the Fedites that Andy has won two already?

well fed is now down to 10 in the race tj, so you can smile even more.  However, I don't for a moment think he'll stay there so enjoy it while you can  w00t
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5886 on: May 02, 2013, 11:51 AM »

Let'all keep smiling
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5887 on: May 02, 2013, 01:05 PM »

Next two Masters will be huge for Federer. Really needs to win one to stay in contention for #2 for Roland Garros and Wimbledon, or at least make a final.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5888 on: May 02, 2013, 01:28 PM »

Next two Masters will be huge for Federer. Really needs to win one to stay in contention for #2 for Roland Garros and Wimbledon, or at least make a final.

It'll be interesting to see how he does. He's bound to be rusty after not playing a match since his Indian Wells QF loss. Quite risky going into this stretch of the season with no match practice, but I guess he's prioritising the Wimbledon/US Open stretch over RG anyway.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5889 on: May 02, 2013, 02:25 PM »

It'll be interesting to see how he does. He's bound to be rusty after not playing a match since his Indian Wells QF loss. Quite risky going into this stretch of the season with no match practice, but I guess he's prioritising the Wimbledon/US Open stretch over RG anyway.
Federer doesn't seem to be affected from lack of match practice like Murray and many other players often are. He came back from a similar lay-off in 2011 and won 15 matches in a row to finish the season. But then he has seemed more vulnerable this season to 'weaker' players, losing to Benneteau and dropping a set to Jaziri come straight to mind. Will definitely be interesting, as you say.

I think this is a good time for him to come back though. Less banana skins for Federer on clay. He's never going to be favourite against Rafa or Djokovic, but the likes of Berdych seems to be struggling on the clay, Tsonga is much less of a threat, he would be clear favourite vs Murray and even Ferrer is struggling right now. Only really Del Potro is a threat to him before the semi-finals on this surface, assuming Federer is on his game.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5890 on: May 02, 2013, 04:11 PM »

Federer doesn't seem to be affected from lack of match practice like Murray and many other players often are. He came back from a similar lay-off in 2011 and won 15 matches in a row to finish the season. But then he has seemed more vulnerable this season to 'weaker' players, losing to Benneteau and dropping a set to Jaziri come straight to mind. Will definitely be interesting, as you say.

I think this is a good time for him to come back though. Less banana skins for Federer on clay. He's never going to be favourite against Rafa or Djokovic, but the likes of Berdych seems to be struggling on the clay, Tsonga is much less of a threat, he would be clear favourite vs Murray and even Ferrer is struggling right now. Only really Del Potro is a threat to him before the semi-finals on this surface, assuming Federer is on his game.

That's a good point about Federer's 2011 break, I'd forgotten about that. He never seems to struggle much on clay - were it not for Rafa, he'd probably be a multiple RG winner. I think he'll reach at least the semis at RG (provided he can avoid Rafa in the QFs).

It's been a strange start to the clay court season for many of the top 8 players outside of Nadal/Djokovic. Surprisingly, it's Tsonga who's done the best, defeating Wawrinka and then pushing Nadal in the latter stages of their match in Monte Carlo. Like you say, Berdych seems to be struggling - very surprising losses to Fognini and Robredo, though I did read he's been having problems with his shoulder so that might be a factor. Delpo's loss to Nieminen was also a surprise, especially as he served for the match and was ahead in the tie-break. And then Ferrer had what must have been his worst clay defeat in years in losing to Tursunov. All of them will be keen to do better in Madrid - it'll be interesting to see how they all do.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5891 on: May 02, 2013, 04:57 PM »

Federer doesn't have a mood unlike Andy. He seems always very eager to play. Same goes for Nadal and Nole. Nole used to be slightly moody but he's changed is attitude in 2011.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5892 on: May 03, 2013, 09:12 PM »

Rankings are pretty straightforward this week - Murray will return to #2 if he makes the QFs (or better) or Federer DOESN'T win Madrid.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5893 on: May 03, 2013, 09:26 PM »

http://live-tennis.eu/

This how close they are.   cmon yeah
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5894 on: May 03, 2013, 09:30 PM »

^ Gosh - that's close!  cmon yeah indeed. 
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 390 391 392 [393] 394 395 396 ... 581 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »