Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs David Ferrer, Saturday, Time: 2pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 393 394 395 [396] 397 398 399 ... 593 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 313983 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5925 on: May 22, 2013, 10:07 PM »

^Don't care who he gets, I think he's unlikely to get to the final. Surely Rafa and Nole will be on opposite sides "if there's any justice in this world"....thomtoms? Wink
Berdych could take him out, heck even Ferrer could take him out shocking
No Ferrer always crumbles when he sees smugfed the other side of the net  Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5926 on: May 22, 2013, 10:26 PM »

Without a second thought.

Seriously getting tired of this massive Nadal hype because he's winning a few tournaments on clay. And yes, I'm more confident of Andy beating Nadal than Djokovic on grass.

Yeah that's so not the point. Rafa is a much better grass courter than Novak and a much tougher match-up for Andy, especially in the second week, when the grass is a lot slower.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5927 on: May 22, 2013, 10:38 PM »

It's going to be hard to predict Nadal's form on grass.  I know he came back on the clay with a bang, but he did all of his training on clay, then took part in several smaller clay tournaments.  I know he doesn't normally play that much grass, but he doesn't normally play this much clay.

I'd say that Nadal at his best, is better on grass than Novak, but Novak did have a better grass court season last year (which wasn't as good at Andy's, lol).

Andy does have a lot of admiration for Rafa, but he didn't show that much admiration at their last meeting.  Andy's achieved a lot on grass since their last Wimbledon meeting too, so there's no reason to presume he'll do a Daveed and roll over.  Actually, I think Daveed has been showing a lot of fighting spirit, and could take Roger on clay if he doesn't bottle it at the last minute when he realises the scale of the achievement.  I think they'll put Rafa in Roger's semi, so we'll probably never find out.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5928 on: May 22, 2013, 10:46 PM »

My own feeling has long been that Andy is better on grass than Djokovic. I think Andy would stand a good chance of coming through. Nadal might be tough, the history points to that, but so much has happened since they last met on the grass. Andy was leading that time, made a couple of errors, got down on himself and went away. I don't think that would happen now. I don't think Andy would roll over. I think he'd give Nadal a match.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5929 on: May 23, 2013, 03:38 AM »

Yeah that's so not the point. Rafa is a much better grass courter than Novak and a much tougher match-up for Andy, especially in the second week, when the grass is a lot slower.
Much better? Really? Djokovic beat him in their last grass court meeting, let us not forget.

Nadal is being overhyped because of his clay performances (which in all reality haven't even been that great). Before his injury he was consistently being beaten by Djokovic (until Djokovic's grandfather passed anyway; Djokovic was clearly far from his best in the period after that) on all surfaces and even Murray beat him in their last meeting - 6-0 in the final set. Yes, on hard, yada yada yada, but Murray is even better on grass.

Hell, Nadal lost to bleeding Rosol last year.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5930 on: May 23, 2013, 03:40 AM »

My own feeling has long been that Andy is better on grass than Djokovic. I think Andy would stand a good chance of coming through. Nadal might be tough, the history points to that, but so much has happened since they last met on the grass. Andy was leading that time, made a couple of errors, got down on himself and went away. I don't think that would happen now. I don't think Andy would roll over. I think he'd give Nadal a match.
I think he'd give him more than a match. Assuming Andy is fully fit, I'd bank on a Murray win.
IP Logged
silver lining
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5931 on: May 23, 2013, 04:00 AM »

Much better? Really? Djokovic beat him in their last grass court meeting, let us not forget.

Nadal is being overhyped because of his clay performances (which in all reality haven't even been that great). Before his injury he was consistently being beaten by Djokovic (until Djokovic's grandfather passed anyway; Djokovic was clearly far from his best in the period after that) on all surfaces and even Murray beat him in their last meeting - 6-0 in the final set. Yes, on hard, yada yada yada, but Murray is even better on grass.

Hell, Nadal lost to bleeding Rosol last year.

Trust me, I know Rafa isn't playing that well, but who is? The level of tennis has been pretty disappointing so far this year in general. Rafa has still made the final in all tournaments he played so far this year and winning is winning. It doesn't really matter how you do it.

Match-up. Smile Djokovic even troubles Rafa on clay, but I still wouldn't say their best levels on that surface are particularly close. Rafa is more likely to get through his other matches. This is about Andy and for Andy, Djokovic is a better match-up, except maybe on hard court but even that is debatable.

And yes, Rafa is a much better grass-courter than Djokovic. Andy is too in my opinion. Djokovic doesn't move well at all on grass, sth. that was exploited beautifully by Federer in their semi-final last year. Djokovic has reached one Wimbledon final in his career and Rafa played really badly that day (probably psychological). I was shocked.

I'm not saying Andy has no chance against Rafa, just that Djokovic is an easier opponent for him, that's all.

Nadal and Djokovic are both more likely to lose to some lower ranked player in the first week than Andy for example (at Wimbledon). The faster conditions make Djokovic with his slightly hampered movement even more vulnerable and Rafa could run into pretty much any ballbasher who is redlining his game that day and be blown off the court (Kendrick, Söderling, Gulbis, Haase, Petzschner,  Rosol... the list is long). But in a semi-final when the grass is a bit more worn off and not as slippery/fast, Rafa is definitely more dangerous for Andy, at least in my opinion.
[ Last edit by silver lining May 23, 2013, 04:07 AM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5932 on: May 23, 2013, 08:25 AM »

I think he'd give him more than a match. Assuming Andy is fully fit, I'd bank on a Murray win.

I don't want to tempt fate, but in a way a meeting with Nadal would be good. In a way it would show where both are with their games.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5933 on: May 23, 2013, 04:09 PM »

Trust me, I know Rafa isn't playing that well, but who is? The level of tennis has been pretty disappointing so far this year in general. Rafa has still made the final in all tournaments he played so far this year and winning is winning. It doesn't really matter how you do it.

Match-up. Smile Djokovic even troubles Rafa on clay, but I still wouldn't say their best levels on that surface are particularly close. Rafa is more likely to get through his other matches. This is about Andy and for Andy, Djokovic is a better match-up, except maybe on hard court but even that is debatable.

And yes, Rafa is a much better grass-courter than Djokovic. Andy is too in my opinion. Djokovic doesn't move well at all on grass, sth. that was exploited beautifully by Federer in their semi-final last year. Djokovic has reached one Wimbledon final in his career and Rafa played really badly that day (probably psychological). I was shocked.

I'm not saying Andy has no chance against Rafa, just that Djokovic is an easier opponent for him, that's all.

Nadal and Djokovic are both more likely to lose to some lower ranked player in the first week than Andy for example (at Wimbledon). The faster conditions make Djokovic with his slightly hampered movement even more vulnerable and Rafa could run into pretty much any ballbasher who is redlining his game that day and be blown off the court (Kendrick, Söderling, Gulbis, Haase, Petzschner,  Rosol... the list is long). But in a semi-final when the grass is a bit more worn off and not as slippery/fast, Rafa is definitely more dangerous for Andy, at least in my opinion.
Fair enough, can't argue with any of that.

I still feel Andy's problem with Nadal is more psychological than anything else, and a barrier I think he may now have passed (given their last meeting and what Andy's achieved since). Matches with Djokovic are always incredibly unpredictable. Even when Murray won at the Olympics it was two very close sets.

Ultimately it will come down to how well Andy is playing and feeling on the day I guess, regardless of opponent. He can beat either of them on grass if he can play like he did on the grass last year.
IP Logged
Milly87
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5934 on: June 04, 2013, 05:19 PM »

Holy crap, Tsonga's knocked out Fed, this means Andy, if healthy, will be seeded second at Wimbledon right????????
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5935 on: June 04, 2013, 05:26 PM »

Holy crap, Tsonga's knocked out Fed, this means Andy, if healthy, will be seeded second at Wimbledon right????????

Correct. Andy has now 8,310 points, Federer will have 7,460 come Monday
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5936 on: June 04, 2013, 05:29 PM »

Murray is one lucky guy Now he has to prove himself
IP Logged
Sabine
Veteran

^_^

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5937 on: June 04, 2013, 05:31 PM »

Correct. Andy has now 8,310 points, Federer will have 7,460 come Monday

Thanks for the good news. Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5938 on: June 04, 2013, 05:35 PM »

I love how this thread is always immediately bumped right after a Federer loss. Very Happy

Federer will have 7640 points to Murray's 8310 - so Murray will be 670 points ahead on Monday.

Murray is defending 0 next week, Federer is defending 150.

Worst case scenario, Murray would have 8310 and Federer 7740.

However Wimbledon do their seedings a bit differently. I'll try and dig up Elena's previous posts on the seeding and work it out, but it's quite complicated.
[ Last edit by TheMadHatter June 04, 2013, 06:06 PM ] IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #5939 on: June 04, 2013, 05:38 PM »

Always look at the bottom line Thanks for your calculations Mad Hatter
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 393 394 395 [396] 397 398 399 ... 593 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »