Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 400 401 402 [403] 404 405 406 ... 586 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 301286 times)
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6030 on: June 10, 2013, 10:39 PM »

Ferrer is probably fed up of being seeded 4, then facing Nadal in the quarters anway! lol
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6031 on: June 11, 2013, 01:04 PM »

I read in an ATP article that Ferrer isn't too happy about his No.4 ranking.  Says Rafa deserves it more than he does, and he does have a good point.  Ferrer can't change the rankings but I'm sure it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility for the Wimbledon organisers to change the seedings, just for once.

I don't think they will change the seedings. Neither do I think they should really, purely to accomodate Nadal. It's not the fault of any other player that he spent 7 months out, for whatever reason. Delpo didn't get a helping hand when he was out for the best part of a year.

I suspect Ferrer thinks exactly the same as me about Wimbledon, that he will be the fall guy for Nadal. There's no way the tournament would chance losing Djokovic, Andy, Nadal or Federer as early as the quarters if they can help it, so my instinct is that Ferrer will be the one Nadal meets in the quarters, unless of course the tournament organisers are stupid, in which case they'll put Andy and Nadal together, you mark my words. The fact is that Djokovic, Andy, Nadal and Federer all have more chance of winning the thing than Ferrer though, so I think he will be the one who goes, assuming they all make the quarters of course.

Ferrer's wrong to say he doesn't deserve his ranking. He's worked hard while Nadal has been out. He's made use of his opportunities well, winning Paris, getting to the Miami final, getting to the final of RG this year too. He's also remarkably consistent in the slams and regular tournaments. It wasn't his fault Nadal was out - unless of course he knee-capped him when no one was looking (gosh, what a temptation) - so he shouldn't feel uncomfortable about it. He should just get on with it and focus on keeping Nadal at 5, and find a way to beat him.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6032 on: June 11, 2013, 02:23 PM »

I got Haas' points total wrong. Reason is, on the ATP site, he's credited with 115 points for last year's RG 4th round, when you would normally get 90 points for a slam 4th round. I assumed it was a mistake and went with the 90. Anyone know why Haas got 115 points?

Haas had to qualify last year, The extra 25 points are for qualification.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6033 on: June 14, 2013, 01:21 PM »

Are we absolutely sure that the ranking points for the Olympics come off this year as I have just read on Wiki that Nadal would have been defending 750 points at the 2012 Olympics.  I have always felt it unfair as how can they defend their points the next year.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6034 on: June 14, 2013, 01:46 PM »

Are we absolutely sure that the ranking points for the Olympics come off this year as I have just read on Wiki that Nadal would have been defending 750 points at the 2012 Olympics.  I have always felt it unfair as how can they defend their points the next year.

They definitely do come off this summer - if you look at Andy's ATP ranking breakdown page, it shows that the points are due to drop on 5th August.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Andy-Murray.aspx?t=rb
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6035 on: June 14, 2013, 01:57 PM »

I see that but wiki have it as Nadal having 8905 and when he withdrew from 2012 Olympics he ended up with 8155.  Obviously they have it wrong unless they changed the rule for 2013 which would be typical as our boy won.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6036 on: June 15, 2013, 08:39 PM »

I see that but wiki have it as Nadal having 8905 and when he withdrew from 2012 Olympics he ended up with 8155.  Obviously they have it wrong unless they changed the rule for 2013 which would be typical as our boy won.
At the 2008 Olympics 800 points were awarded for the men's Gold Medal. In 2012 it was only 750 for some reason??
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6037 on: June 16, 2013, 12:12 PM »

Just read that if Fed doesn't win Wimbles he'll drop out of the top 4. Wow! When was the last time?  shocking
 Whistle
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6038 on: June 16, 2013, 12:17 PM »

Just read that if Fed doesn't win Wimbles he'll drop out of the top 4. Wow! When was the last time?  shocking
 Whistle
That's a shame.  He has a beautiful wife and family and more money than he knows what to do with.  If I were him, I'd have bowed out on a high note.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6039 on: June 16, 2013, 01:46 PM »

@Elly
I feel like that about him too. If he doesn't win Wimbles perhaps he will.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6040 on: June 16, 2013, 03:02 PM »

I agree he has everything in life that he could wish for. Maybe tennis is like a drug to him and he needs to be weaned of it slowly. I honestly think he will retire at the end of this year if he doesn't get into quarter or semi-finals by the end of this year.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6041 on: June 16, 2013, 03:21 PM »

I think with Federer it depends on his attitude. He is still capable of beating most of the players out there, even now, but it depends on whether that is enough. As time goes on I can see Federer being effectively shut out of the biggest tournament wins, because Andy, Nadal and Djokovic are probably all better than him now.

If actually playing is more important to Federer than winning the titles, which is what some suggest, then I suppose you could argue that he doesn't need to stop yet. The thing is though, what is the point for someone like Federer, carrying on if he can't win those top tournaments anymore?

I think, even with someone like Federer, there comes a point where it is time to stop. If he carries on beyond that point, even with all that he has done, he risks being remembered for the losses that are starting to come, rather than all that he has acheived. As much as I despise him, even I can't argue with his success, and I just think there does come a time when it is time to step back and make way for others.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6042 on: June 16, 2013, 08:48 PM »

Andy looking good now. No injury worries now and winning Queens gets him 250 points which mitigates some of the damage for missing the French where he lost 360 points.

The Wimbledon draw is going to be huge now. Joker, Fed and Andy will be praying they are not in Rafa's quarter. In my humble, if definitely superior, opinion Andy needs to win Wimbledon to have a realistic shot at finishing the season as numero uno.

Don't write off Fed. Grass is his best surface and he beat some poor fella 6-0 6-0 in Halle. Make no mistake, the Great Fed can retain his Wimbledon title.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6043 on: June 16, 2013, 08:57 PM »

Don't write off Fed. Grass is his best surface and he beat some poor fella 6-0 6-0 in Halle. Make no mistake, the Great Fed can retain his Wimbledon title.

He beat some poor wildcard! That's no measure of his form.

I know, I know, I've risen, but honestly BN!

There is going to be one winner of Wimbledon. Take it from me, he won't answer to the name of Federer.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6044 on: June 16, 2013, 09:01 PM »

Never heard of Wildcard but he reached the QFs (or was it the semis?) of an ATP tournament so he must be a decent player.

There are 4 potential winners of Wimbledon and Fed is one of them even though he is 4th favourite. Andy is clear 2nd favourite after today's triumph.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 400 401 402 [403] 404 405 406 ... 586 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »