Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Novak Djokovic, Wednesday night, Est. time - 1:30am BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 406 407 408 [409] 410 411 412 ... 587 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 303115 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6120 on: July 03, 2013, 11:23 PM »

Yeah it would be a bitchh to have 2 GS titles and still be nowhere near no1 though.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6121 on: July 03, 2013, 11:28 PM »

If Delpo wins the tourney, he'll be 5 points behind Smugfed. Tee hee.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6122 on: July 03, 2013, 11:31 PM »

Yeah it would be a bitchh to have 2 GS titles and still be nowhere near no1 though.
That's the problem with only picking up scraps for about a whole quarter of the season.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6123 on: July 04, 2013, 12:04 AM »

That's the problem with only picking up scraps for about a whole quarter of the season.

Still, it's better than the scraps Federer has picked up this year. At least Andy isn't getting into extra tournaments to try to pick up points.

I still think Andy was right to have those six weeks out after Australia. He had no choice but to skip the French and take time out to get his back right. I'm convinced he will reap the benefits in the remainder of the year.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6124 on: July 04, 2013, 12:28 AM »

Still, it's better than the scraps Federer has picked up this year. At least Andy isn't getting into extra tournaments to try to pick up points.

I still think Andy was right to have those six weeks out after Australia. He had no choice but to skip the French and take time out to get his back right. I'm convinced he will reap the benefits in the remainder of the year.
Perhaps, but he'll struggle to ever be #1 at all (let alone for a sustained period of time) if he continues to drop 4000+ points (from the mandatory events) every clay season.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6125 on: July 04, 2013, 12:28 AM »

If Andy were to win Wimbledon, it might seem bizarre that he's still so far from #1, but he did miss the French Open, and withdrew from his first match in a Masters event, as well as playing a relatively light schedule, so it's actually impressive that he's still #2. 

Ferrer's done well through playing an intensive schedule and being pretty consistent in all of those tournaments he does enter.

I'm mainly pleased that Andy will stay ahead of Ferrer heading into the American hard-court season, as I think it's important for him to be seeded 2nd there.  Being seeded second (as opposed to 3rd/45th) for clay was a bit meaningless, and it may have been for grass if Fed/Nadal had lived up to expectations, but on the hard-courts, Djokovic is definitely the man to beat, so avoiding him before the finals will finally pay dividends.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6126 on: July 04, 2013, 12:29 AM »

If Andy were to win Wimbledon, it might seem bizarre that he's still so far from #1, but he did miss the French Open, and withdrew from his first match in a Masters event, as well as playing a relatively light schedule, so it's actually impressive that he's still #2. 

Ferrer's done well through playing an intensive schedule and being pretty consistent in all of those tournaments he does enter.

I'm mainly pleased that Andy will stay ahead of Ferrer heading into the American hard-court season, as I think it's important for him to be seeded 2nd there.  Being seeded second (as opposed to 3rd/45th) for clay was a bit meaningless, and it may have been for grass if Fed/Nadal had lived up to expectations, but on the hard-courts, Djokovic is definitely the man to beat, so avoiding him before the finals will finally pay dividends.
Being 45th seed would make things a bit difficult, it's true.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6127 on: July 04, 2013, 12:41 AM »

It is what it is, when planning his schedule Andy wold not have expected to be incapacitated for the clay court season, he took a break after Ausopen to maximise the clay season. Unfortunately his back injury scuppered those plans. Unforseen circumstances. Aside from the clay he has done well every where he played, the poorest being qf in Indian Wells. There's still a heap of tennis to be played this year so yes, lots of points to defend (Ferrer has US semis to defend also) but potential for points to be gained as well. Lets look on the positive side.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6128 on: July 04, 2013, 12:42 AM »

And lets face it, no 2 or 3 seed is indeed better than 45th lol
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6129 on: July 04, 2013, 11:22 AM »

It is what it is, when planning his schedule Andy wold not have expected to be incapacitated for the clay court season, he took a break after Ausopen to maximise the clay season. Unfortunately his back injury scuppered those plans. Unforseen circumstances. Aside from the clay he has done well every where he played, the poorest being qf in Indian Wells. There's still a heap of tennis to be played this year so yes, lots of points to defend (Ferrer has US semis to defend also) but potential for points to be gained as well. Lets look on the positive side.

Then again, Andy gained points in Indian Wells too. For the previous two years he'd gone out very early indeed.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6130 on: July 04, 2013, 11:27 AM »

Then again, Andy gained points in Indian Wells too. For the previous two years he'd gone out very early indeed.

Exactly. So aside from the clay which was due to injury, he has picked up or equallled points everywhere he's played. Am sure Fed would love to be in that position!
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6131 on: July 04, 2013, 12:32 PM »

The main long-term threat to Andy's number 2 ranking over the second half of the season isn't going to be Ferrer; it's Rafa. I'd be surprised (but pleased) if Andy can hold him off and end the year ranked 2, but with Rafa having nothing to defend for the rest of the year it seems unlikely.

I don't think the rankings are Andy's priority right now though (so long as he stays in the top 4). At the beginning of the season, number 1 was a possible target but that's out of reach now with Andy's clay season not going according to plan. Hopefully he'll get there one day.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6132 on: July 04, 2013, 12:52 PM »

I'm sure that's a **** that Andy would happily sign up to. 
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6133 on: July 04, 2013, 01:43 PM »

Katie I think a lot will depend on Rafa being fit. I still don't buy that he will be able to play on the hard courts for long. His movement was dreadful in the first round at Wimbledon. Imagine what it will be like at Cinci or Montreal, or worse, the USO. Rafa might be able to gain a lot of points, but he'll need to be able to play to do it.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6134 on: July 04, 2013, 01:49 PM »

Katie I think a lot will depend on Rafa being fit. I still don't buy that he will be able to play on the hard courts for long. His movement was dreadful in the first round at Wimbledon. Imagine what it will be like at Cinci or Montreal, or worse, the USO. Rafa might be able to gain a lot of points, but he'll need to be able to play to do it.
I agree.....I think he could be on the slippery slope!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 408 [409] 410 411 412 ... 587 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »