Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 3 Members and 8 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 409 410 411 [412] 413 414 415 ... 581 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 291953 times)
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6165 on: July 09, 2013, 09:00 AM »

It was also his ambition to win a Slam and to win Wimbledon, and he's finally achieved that, but I get the impression he isn't in a rush to get to No.1.  Particularly now that he's got a back problem I don't see him playing more tournaments than he did this year - in fact, since clay aggravates it, it does raise a question about future clay-court tournaments.  I can't see the virtue in exacerbating the problem by trying to be a success on a surface he isn't very good on anyway.  MC isn't obligatory, so he could always give that a miss, although I'm not sure he would want to skip RG again unless he absolutely had to.

Interesting comment I saw him make at some point yesterday - sorry can't remember where exactly - about missing the French Open, and working next year to make sure that doesn't happen again. I can't shake off the impression that this years withdrawal was more than a little tactical, and the French Open is still in his sights. Certainly hope so.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6166 on: July 09, 2013, 09:07 AM »

It was also his ambition to win a Slam and to win Wimbledon, and he's finally achieved that, but I get the impression he isn't in a rush to get to No.1.  Particularly now that he's got a back problem I don't see him playing more tournaments than he did this year - in fact, since clay aggravates it, it does raise a question about future clay-court tournaments.  I can't see the virtue in exacerbating the problem by trying to be a success on a surface he isn't very good on anyway.  MC isn't obligatory, so he could always give that a miss, although I'm not sure he would want to skip RG again unless he absolutely had to.
It was quite some time ago now, since he said getting to number one was his ambition, but I too have seen and read the recent interviews and that doesn't seem to be so important to him anymore! He's matured a lot over the last couple of years. I'd still like to see him get to number one at some time though, [if only for one day] because like Mr. Lendle.....I think he is the best in the world right now!  yes
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6167 on: July 09, 2013, 10:00 AM »

Ivan's take on the rankings :"Novak is a great player, don't get me wrong. He has had a phenomenal last 12 months [and] basically since the start of 2011, so the rankings look at all of that.

"[But] if somebody has two majors and an Olympic gold medal, and everybody else [holds] only one major, everybody can make their own opinion on that."

Brilliant.
IP Logged
Kavanaugh
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6168 on: July 09, 2013, 10:26 AM »

Ivan's take on the rankings :"Novak is a great player, don't get me wrong. He has had a phenomenal last 12 months [and] basically since the start of 2011, so the rankings look at all of that.

"[But] if somebody has two majors and an Olympic gold medal, and everybody else [holds] only one major, everybody can make their own opinion on that."

Brilliant.

<3 Lendl.  Where did he say that? Very Happy
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6169 on: July 09, 2013, 10:56 AM »

^ He said it in some interview or other!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6170 on: July 09, 2013, 11:32 AM »

^ He said it in some interview or other!

He said it in an interview after the final on Sunday. I'm sure I read it yesterday.

I think his take on things is spot on. It's fact. Andy has been playing so well and got the consistent results. It speaks volumes.

There is only one thing he got slightly wrong. Not everyone else does hold a major. Federer is not the current holder of any major, which might sound weird, but it's true.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6171 on: July 09, 2013, 11:35 AM »

<3 Lendl.  Where did he say that? Very Happy
  http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/07/09/murray-best-in-the-world_n_3565008.html?utm_hp_ref=uk 
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6172 on: July 09, 2013, 11:36 AM »

He said it in an interview after the final on Sunday. I'm sure I read it yesterday.

I think his take on things is spot on. It's fact. Andy has been playing so well and got the consistent results. It speaks volumes.

There is only one thing he got slightly wrong. Not everyone else does hold a major. Federer is not the current holder of any major, which might sound weird, but it's true.
   Clearly everyone else doesn't hold a major. Why single out Federer?  He's not even in the top 4 now.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6173 on: July 09, 2013, 11:51 AM »

Clearly everyone else doesn't hold a major. Why single out Federer?  He's not even in the top 4 now.

Just a fact. I assume Lendl was speaking of 'the big four'. You have to admit that Federer not holding any of them now, plus his ranking, is a significant change.

For once I was just stating a fact, not having a pop at him.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6174 on: July 09, 2013, 11:53 AM »

Just a fact. I assume Lendl was speaking of 'the big four'. You have to admit that Federer not holding any of them now, plus his ranking, is a significant change.

For once I was just stating a fact, not having a pop at him.
  Yes I agree with the sense of that, just supporting the accuracy of Lendl's statement.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6175 on: July 09, 2013, 12:04 PM »

There's a piece in the Telegraph online which more or less repeats what Lendl said.

It struck me on Sunday that Lendl seemed to really believe Andy had done exactly what he had been meant to do. Somewhere in his smile I'm sure I saw a hint of 'Yes, and?' as if he truly believes Andy is just fulfilling the potential that has been there all along.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6176 on: July 09, 2013, 12:15 PM »

Well, he's right isn't he? Haven't we always known Andy 'had it in him'? It's still wonderful to see him finally do it though!  Very Happy
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6177 on: July 09, 2013, 12:29 PM »

Brilliant.

Since 2011, the only major Novak has won is the Aussie.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6178 on: July 09, 2013, 12:36 PM »

^ and I think also that the fact Andy has got to the Finals in all his last four Slams, over the last 12 months, - is often overlooked.
A brilliant achievement - and what consistency!
[ Last edit by matchpoint July 09, 2013, 12:39 PM ] IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6179 on: July 09, 2013, 12:46 PM »

yes
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 411 [412] 413 414 415 ... 581 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »