Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?

MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 ... 594 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 315290 times)
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6195 on: July 09, 2013, 09:07 PM »

Super
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6196 on: July 09, 2013, 09:28 PM »

I don't think he will go looking for the number 1 spot, but to be considered a true great a lot of people prefer that player to have been number 1 at least once. When Andy retires, being known as former number 1 will sound a whole lot better to many people, wether he cares about it remains to be seen. He mentioned yesterday that he hopes he keeps his hunger, something he must be genuinly concerned about right now, his ambitions do need a re shuffle now the biggest monkey has fallen from his back, i'm sure he will chat with Ivan about keeping the fires burning, so glad he's got Ivan in his camp now, luckily he has the USO soon so he can refocus pretty quickly, for the first time in his life he will be defending a slam title, that's certainly new to him and perhaps another monkey too shoo away too Smile
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6197 on: July 09, 2013, 09:34 PM »

Currently on 9360 this is the most points Murray has ever had though right?
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6198 on: July 09, 2013, 09:35 PM »

He had about 9700 in 2009 I think -
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6199 on: July 09, 2013, 10:53 PM »

If Andy wins either Montreal or Cincy, is a runner up in the other, and then retains the USO, he has a huge chance to become world number 1 during the asian swing and indoor season.
The excitement goes on and on cos, on the subject of the US Open, I'm in New York last week of August  woohoo woohoo woohoo
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6200 on: July 09, 2013, 10:57 PM »

He had about 9700 in 2009 I think -

I thought that when he broke the 8,000 points barrier that was said to be the first time, or was it the first time he finished the year with 8,000 points? My brain has had it!
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6201 on: July 09, 2013, 11:04 PM »

Well, he reached 9700 points after Montreal in 2009 and before US Open.  I think it was a bit like Ferrer now - just lots of smaller titles - he won 6 that year  He went on to finish 2009 with a more modest 7030 points.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6202 on: July 10, 2013, 08:17 AM »

I don't think he will go looking for the number 1 spot, but to be considered a true great a lot of people prefer that player to have been number 1 at least once. When Andy retires, being known as former number 1 will sound a whole lot better to many people, wether he cares about it remains to be seen. He mentioned yesterday that he hopes he keeps his hunger, something he must be genuinly concerned about right now, his ambitions do need a re shuffle now the biggest monkey has fallen from his back, i'm sure he will chat with Ivan about keeping the fires burning, so glad he's got Ivan in his camp now, luckily he has the USO soon so he can refocus pretty quickly, for the first time in his life he will be defending a slam title, that's certainly new to him and perhaps another monkey too shoo away too Smile
And he will be number 1 before he's done.  Just not this year :-)
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6203 on: July 10, 2013, 01:09 PM »

it's clear that Andy is as aware of anyone of the need to remotivate himself having achieved his immediate goals. And he sees Lendl and the team as helping him to do that and keep his feet on the ground.  Love the way he keeps stressing the importance of those round him telling him if he's getting it wrong now.  For me I'd like to see him defend USO and go on to win the WTF.  Obviously would like him to do as well as possible at all the other tournaments but those are the remaining big ones for this year. And he's absolutely right not to focus  on the rankings.   
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6204 on: July 10, 2013, 07:46 PM »

I thought that when he broke the 8,000 points barrier that was said to be the first time, or was it the first time he finished the year with 8,000 points? My brain has had it!
First time he ended the year with 8000+. As Mackem said above, he had 9700 at one point. It seems crazy that he has less points right now with two slam titles than he did then with none. He was just very consistent back then I think, and won a far few Masters and 500s.
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6205 on: July 10, 2013, 11:21 PM »

Grand Slams and WTF is what he needs, you only need one week at No1 to be a former World Number 1!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6206 on: July 11, 2013, 12:18 AM »

I think Andy 100% wants that No1 spot. He has openly stated that he wants that since he will be remembered as a tennis player and so he wants the gain the respect of the tennis industry.

Whilst winning slams has already done most of that...obtaining No 1 spot and sustaining it combined with slams would make him remembered as a tennis great in world terms....so I believe its his next aim post wimbledon.

Tho I would imagine winning the OZ and French open at some point would be high on that list too.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6207 on: July 11, 2013, 01:03 AM »

I bet first and foremost on Andy's mind would be Montreal and Cinci, then defending the USO.

I'm sure Andy wants to be no.1, but he has said that if he continues to get the results the rest will look after itself. He's right.

I love the way Andy is so delighted with the congrats messages from other players and people in the game. It shows how important the respect of your peers is. To my mind it also shows that he wants to continue to impress, so there will be no let up.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6208 on: July 14, 2013, 08:08 AM »

He should try and miss Cinci if he can. Pretend his back is playing up or something. That match he  lost against Wawrinka at the USO a few years ago Im sure was because he half wrecked his body playing Canada and Cinci back to back. I remember the year Delpo won the USO was the year he pullued out of Cinci. And of course last year Andy only played a couple of matches at Cinci (after losing 1st round at Canada) and went on win. He should definetly go all out to win in Montreal though.

I see Andy is 13-8 favourite for the USO on Skybet. That's the first time I think he has ever been outright favourite for a Slam. Joker is 2nd favourite at 7-4, with both Rafa and Fed at 7-1 and Delpo at 9-1. The rest are nowhere.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6209 on: July 14, 2013, 09:32 AM »

He should try and miss Cinci if he can. Pretend his back is playing up or something. That match he  lost against Wawrinka at the USO a few years ago Im sure was because he half wrecked his body playing Canada and Cinci back to back. I remember the year Delpo won the USO was the year he pullued out of Cinci. And of course last year Andy only played a couple of matches at Cinci (after losing 1st round at Canada) and went on win. He should definetly go all out to win in Montreal though.

I see Andy is 13-8 favourite for the USO on Skybet. That's the first time I think he has ever been outright favourite for a Slam. Joker is 2nd favourite at 7-4, with both Rafa and Fed at 7-1 and Delpo at 9-1. The rest are nowhere.

He was favourite one year in Australia - either 2009 or 2010. I remember Federer being none too happy about that at the time!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 411 412 413 [414] 415 416 417 ... 594 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »