Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 ... 581 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 293519 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6210 on: July 14, 2013, 03:14 PM »

He was favourite one year in Australia - either 2009 or 2010. I remember Federer being none too happy about that at the time!

Some fans of the smug one are clinging to the fact that the big 4 all won a slam last year and that it's written in the stars that the same will happen this year. Personally i can't see that happening, 7-1 odds are pretty generous in my book.
IP Logged
circe
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6211 on: July 14, 2013, 05:43 PM »

It's a bit hard on the other members of the top 5.  Andy is the only one rising.  Fed is fighting off retirement talk, Ferrer played more matches than anyone else in the last year to get a lifetime best of 3, Nole can never beat his annus mirabilis of 2011, and Rafa's knees are Rafa's knees.

But Andy deserves to be the one with momentum on his side. He's more than earned it.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6212 on: July 14, 2013, 06:11 PM »

Some fans of the smug one are clinging to the fact that the big 4 all won a slam last year and that it's written in the stars that the same will happen this year. Personally i can't see that happening, 7-1 odds are pretty generous in my book.
Federer winning another Slam is a joke - can't even see him going deep in Hamburg - looking at his draw, he's got his work cut out.

IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6213 on: July 14, 2013, 08:13 PM »

I can't see it happening either. He'd have to improve his form by a huge amount to have a chance. And with him likely to be seeded 5 it makes his draw that more difficult. Probably quarter finals at best for him.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6214 on: July 14, 2013, 08:38 PM »

I can't see it happening either. He'd have to improve his form by a huge amount to have a chance. And with him likely to be seeded 5 it makes his draw that more difficult. Probably quarter finals at best for him.

Yeah but who wants to play Fed in the QFs? Him and Delpo definetly to be avoided.

I think predictions of Fed's demise are a bit premature. His loss at Wimbledon was completely out of the blue. He had won Halle easily and then demolished a top 50 player in the 1st round. Stakhovsky must have seemed like another formality. I think Fed just became a bit complacent, dropped his intensity slightly and Stakhosky took advantage. Fed will be determined to erase that defeat at the USO and I really hope he is in Joker's quarter.
[ Last edit by BigNose July 14, 2013, 08:43 PM ] IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6215 on: July 15, 2013, 05:20 PM »

Yeah but who wants to play Fed in the QFs? Him and Delpo definetly to be avoided.

I think predictions of Fed's demise are a bit premature. His loss at Wimbledon was completely out of the blue. He had won Halle easily and then demolished a top 50 player in the 1st round. Stakhovsky must have seemed like another formality. I think Fed just became a bit complacent, dropped his intensity slightly and Stakhosky took advantage. Fed will be determined to erase that defeat at the USO and I really hope he is in Joker's quarter.

I would agree that Federer losing quite that early and who he lost to might have been a surprise, but  I don't think it was out of the blue, not entirely.

He's won one title all year and his form does seem to have been very erratic. He seems to have been either playing really well or downright poor, there doesn't seem to be much in between. I still want to know where his return game went against Stakhovsky.

I do think the decline has come, in fact, to a point I think it has been coming for a while. I just think it is gathering pace now.

It seems to me as if Federer's aura has diminished somewhat. I don't think players are as frightened of him as they might have been in the past. Sure, you still need to be good to beat him, but I think more believe they can now, which is surely half the battle.

I'd be a bit surprised if Federer got beyond the quarters at the USO. The only way I see that happening, frankly, is if he draws Ferrer.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6216 on: July 16, 2013, 01:20 PM »

I'm intrigued to see that Federer is playing Hamburg this week. I don't think this is a normal booking for him Is he starting a comeback I wonder?
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6217 on: July 17, 2013, 05:04 PM »

I'm intrigued to see that Federer is playing Hamburg this week. I don't think this is a normal booking for him Is he starting a comeback I wonder?
Federer is such a loser these days. He's lost the 1st Set in Hamburg against the world no.58 - he may yet turn it round but it's all just so pathetic.  When Andy's time comes I think he'll have the maturity and sense of normality not to carry on playing way past his sell by date.  Federer surrounds himself with people who keep telling him how wonderful he his and how good he looks in his stupid crass clothes - no wonder he has no sense of reality!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6218 on: July 17, 2013, 05:33 PM »

Federer is such a loser these days. He's lost the 1st Set in Hamburg against the world no.58 - he may yet turn it round but it's all just so pathetic.  When Andy's time comes I think he'll have the maturity and sense of normality not to carry on playing way past his sell by date.  Federer surrounds himself with people who keep telling him how wonderful he his and how good he looks in his stupid crass clothes - no wonder he has no sense of reality!

Maybe he wans to emulate his pal Sampras and go out on a slam win, he should have retired after Wimbledon last year but i guess he thought he still had more slams in him.

Still i think it's dangerous talk to dismiss Federer entirely, he's still better than most of the other players on tour, so his best is not world shaking like it used to be, i still see him as a threat and not to be taken too lightly just yet.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6219 on: July 17, 2013, 09:38 PM »

Very dangerous to dismiss Federer.  Especially based on losing a first set.  For a start, it's not like Andy never does that, and more relevantly, he's just got himself a new racquet, so a shaky start is to be expected.

I've got to agree with PseudoFed on this one.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6220 on: July 17, 2013, 10:50 PM »

Very dangerous to dismiss Federer.  Especially based on losing a first set.  For a start, it's not like Andy never does that, and more relevantly, he's just got himself a new racquet, so a shaky start is to be expected.

I've got to agree with PseudoFed on this one.

I agree. I'm always cautious about writing him off because each time he's discounted as a threat, he comes back again. Like last year - very few people thought he'd get back to number 1 and win Wimbledon again but he proved his doubters wrong. A lot can change very quickly in tennis.

I think he'll play a lot better in the second half of the season and will probably end the year back in the top 4. The long break he took after Miami didn't do him any good - he was very short of match practice going into the clay season, and that showed in some of his losses. The Tsonga loss in particular was a real surprise - Federer seemed so flat that day.

His seeding at the USO is going to make it difficult to get past the quarters (unless he draws Ferrer) but I don't see him having another early round loss.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6221 on: July 17, 2013, 11:00 PM »

I agree. I'm always cautious about writing him off because each time he's discounted as a threat, he comes back again. Like last year - very few people thought he'd get back to number 1 and win Wimbledon again but he proved his doubters wrong. A lot can change very quickly in tennis.

I think he'll play a lot better in the second half of the season and will probably end the year back in the top 4. The long break he took after Miami didn't do him any good - he was very short of match practice going into the clay season, and that showed in some of his losses. The Tsonga loss in particular was a real surprise - Federer seemed so flat that day.

His seeding at the USO is going to make it difficult to get past the quarters (unless he draws Ferrer) but I don't see him having another early round loss.
If the man has any sense, he'll bow out and concentrate on his lovely wife and children.  Personally, I'd find it quite not right to see RF scratching for a place.  Love him or loathe him - he really did something special, but I do think his time has gone.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6222 on: July 17, 2013, 11:34 PM »

If the man has any sense, he'll bow out and concentrate on his lovely wife and children.  Personally, I'd find it quite not right to see RF scratching for a place.  Love him or loathe him - he really did something special, but I do think his time has gone.

I think he'll probably go if he can't get back into the top 4. He doesn't strike me as the type of person who'd be happy making up the numbers in the top 10 after all he's achieved. I hope he can keep on playing for another couple of years though. I enjoy his matches against Andy and Novak - the contrast in styles makes their matches interesting to watch.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6223 on: July 17, 2013, 11:41 PM »

I'd miss PseudoFed if RealFed hung up his bigger racquet.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6224 on: July 18, 2013, 07:20 PM »

Federer winning another Slam is a joke - can't even see him going deep in Hamburg - looking at his draw, he's got his work cut out.

Yup... he is not even a top 10 player this yr imo. He only won wimbledon last yr coz andy lost his concentration and didnt deal with the pressure like he can now.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 412 413 414 [415] 416 417 418 ... 581 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »