Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 ... 580 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 291119 times)
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6225 on: July 19, 2013, 08:32 AM »

Federer seems to be working his way through this Hamburg tournament in his usual steady way. Murray is capable of beating him now so why be so nasty about him? . There is no doubt that he's been a great tennis player and many people just want to see him play before he goes into retirement.
  Federer is still a crowd puller and tournament organisers know that
IP Logged
dex
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6226 on: July 19, 2013, 10:28 AM »

Federer seems to be working his way through this Hamburg tournament in his usual steady way. Murray is capable of beating him now so why be so nasty about him? . There is no doubt that he's been a great tennis player and many people just want to see him play before he goes into retirement.
  Federer is still a crowd puller and tournament organisers know that
Yes, I don't wish him any disrespect. It still normally takes a top ten player to beat him, unless he had a long 3 or 5 setter and has not had time to recover.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6227 on: July 21, 2013, 11:55 AM »

Well, whatever your views Delbonis polished Federer off in 2 straight sets 7-6,7-6 in the semis at Hamburg I was fascinated to see the  gracious way Federer acknowledged defeat, practice is making perfect!
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6228 on: August 05, 2013, 10:34 AM »

Very depressing to see the Olympic points fall off today Frown
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6229 on: August 05, 2013, 10:59 AM »

Very depressing to see the Olympic points fall off today Frown

Yes, but we knew they would. I'm hopeful for a great week in Montreal, so it won't be an issue Smile.

It's a shame really, about the Olympic points though. For a start the Olympics should carry more points - the only downside of that being there would then be more to come off I suppose. However, if they thought about it, couldn't they come up with some sort of formula for the points to last for four years? I mean, you can't defend them from one year to the next, so surely they could stay on if the system was slightly tweaked.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6230 on: August 05, 2013, 12:22 PM »

yes perhaps they should come off in stages - a quarter at a time until the next Olympics. That way even though they are fewer points than for a major they would have more long term worth.  It would make sense given you can't defend them for four years
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6231 on: August 05, 2013, 01:20 PM »

To be honest, I never knew they even gave points for the Olympics, but if they're going to continue giving them, I agree only taking off a quarter each year, seems the fairest solution!
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6232 on: August 05, 2013, 01:25 PM »

I cannot understand why the Olympic points should not last until the next Olympics. After all the 2000 points Murray got for winning Wimbledon will last until the next time Wimbledon happens The only difference is the former happens every 4 years and Wimbledon every year No tweaking is needed
  This would make the Olympic tennis tournament even more important than it already is.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6233 on: August 05, 2013, 01:31 PM »

The Tradesman will pick up the missing pieces at Montreal.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6234 on: August 05, 2013, 01:48 PM »

yes perhaps they should come off in stages - a quarter at a time until the next Olympics. That way even though they are fewer points than for a major they would have more long term worth.  It would make sense given you can't defend them for four years

That sort of system would make sense, but then again, with a slam, or any other tournament for that matter, you keep all of the points until the next one comes around the following year. I think they should do the same with the Olympic points, just make it four-yearly. The points coming off in stages would be a good compromise though.

I also think it's stupid that the Olympic points are less than a Masters. I mean, not to denigrate the Masters at all, but 1000 for a Masters and 750 for the Olympics? That doesn't even make sense to me. I think they should make the points either comparable with a slam, or they should come up with points somewhere between a slam and a Masters, say 1500 or something. I know in the Olympics it's about the medals really, and of course 750 ranking points is not to be sneezed at, but it's not a lot for a global event.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6235 on: August 05, 2013, 02:08 PM »

one reason they don't give more points may be just because it's more to lose the next year without any way of defending them.  Of course allowing them to keep the points for longer - either till the next Olympics or staged like I suggest - would get round that.  Is another argument perhaps that only so many players per country can compete in the Olympics so some highly ranked players could be excluded in countries such as France or Spain who have a significant number of highly ranked players?
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6236 on: August 05, 2013, 02:22 PM »

The Tradesman will pick up the missing pieces at Montreal.

Are you referring to Andy?
If so, I don't think the term 'The Tradesman' does him justice. It sounds too ordinary, run-of-the-mill - akin to a Journeyman.
I see him more as a 'Master Craftsman' with a unique boxful of talent and skills he can draw on. Just my view.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6237 on: August 05, 2013, 02:25 PM »

The points players get each year, give a picture of how well that player has performed throughout any one year and that's what decides the rankings....right? So when he 'defends' them the following year, what he's really doing is 'earning' them again. So if Andy was allowed to keep that 750 for more than one year without having to defend them,  it would not be a 'true' assessment of his performance for the following year! Does that make sense?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6238 on: August 05, 2013, 02:29 PM »

Are you referring to Andy?
If so, I don't think the term 'The Tradesman' does him justice. It sounds too ordinary, run-of-the-mill - akin to a Journeyman.
I see him more as a 'Master Craftsman' with a unique boxful of talent and skills he can draw on. Just my view.

Good point.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6239 on: August 05, 2013, 02:51 PM »

The points players get each year, give a picture of how well that player has performed throughout any one year and that's what decides the rankings....right? So when he 'defends' them the following year, what he's really doing is 'earning' them again. So if Andy was allowed to keep that 750 for more than one year without having to defend them,  it would not be a 'true' assessment of his performance for the following year! Does that make sense?
Yes that's right. The ATP ranking points that a player has are the points acquired over the last 12 months. Keeping the Olympic points for more than a year wouldn't make any sense.

I don't like to think of it in terms of gaining or defending points since that makes e.g. 1000 points from one tournament seem more important than another but really they're the same.

[ Last edit by notnek August 05, 2013, 02:58 PM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 415 [416] 417 418 419 ... 580 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »