Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 428 429 430 [431] 432 433 434 ... 592 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 309318 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6450 on: August 23, 2013, 03:47 AM »

Laundry @ 5.31am! Sorry, still don't agree - don't think Masters points can be replaced by other tournaments, except for MC which is not mandatory.
Yeah you're right again, I think I finally get it at last. The Slams, WTF and 8 Masters tournies (after excluding MC) automatically count when you're in the top 30 (we'll call the total number of these tournaments A). Then you get 18-A other tournaments to add to your ranking, this is normally 6 but will be 5 if you qualified for the WTF.

So I guess this really does make 0-pointers for 500 or below tournaments utterly pointless, it means Andy would have to total 5 of these tournaments in the next year for it to affect things - and still then it would only take off the lowest scoring of these which is unlikely to be anything given Andy's notorious early exits and even then the 0-pointer would likely soon be falling off as it would probably be near the time of Washington again.
[ Last edit by laundry August 23, 2013, 03:53 AM ] IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6451 on: August 23, 2013, 12:14 PM »

I understand a little more  having read all these contributions carefully but I do think that Murray
by avoiding so many smaller tournaments,will have no back log, as it were, to fall back on should he come an unexpected cropper in the early rounds of a Slam.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6452 on: August 23, 2013, 02:20 PM »

We think this system is complicated - look at what used to happen!

"Yet without the foresight of ATP founding fathers, the rankings landscape may look entirely different. From the dawn of Open Era tennis in 1968, rankings were largely a subjective calculation, generated by national tennis associations, circuits and a number of eminent tennis journalists who compiled their own lists".
http://www.atpworldtour.com/News/Tennis/2013/08/34/Heritage-1973-ATP-Rankings-Celebration-Part-I.aspx

Laundry - I think we're getting closer to agreement! As I understand it...

For players starting the year in the top 30 (commitment players), count

WTF (if played)
+ 4 Slams
+ 8 x Masters 1,000s
+ 6 others (500s, 250s, Davis Cup World Group, Olympics, Challengers, and Monte Carlo can be counted here). To count their best six, players must have fulfilled their commitment to 500 events - 4 total per year (at least 1 after the US Open). There's a 0 point penalty lasting 12 months for any less than 4. Points from extra tournaments go in to non-countables but can be used later if other points are not defended successfully.

For players outside top 30 at start of year it seems to be

Any Slams entered
+any Masters 1000s entered
+best of rest up to a total of 18 tournaments. No minimum requirement for 500s.

Going back to Andy - let's hope he does well in Tokyo - he can gain some points on last year. He'll get another 0 point penalty if he doesn't play Valencia/Basel  - but he may prefer to save his energy for Paris and WTF.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6453 on: August 31, 2013, 01:48 PM »

I see Andy has qualified for WTF.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6454 on: August 31, 2013, 02:12 PM »

That's good news.....Thanks Tamila!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6455 on: August 31, 2013, 02:30 PM »

Good, not that it was ever really in doubt.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6456 on: August 31, 2013, 02:39 PM »

Good, not that it was ever really in doubt.

Yes but it is something definite to look forward to as our dark nights begin to descend on us in the UK providing that Andy stays healthy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6457 on: August 31, 2013, 03:07 PM »

Yes but it is something definite to look forward to as our dark nights begin to descend on us in the UK providing that Andy stays healthy

Sure, I wasn't doubting that, just saying that most of us knew he would get in before long. I'm glad he has.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6458 on: August 31, 2013, 04:37 PM »

I see Andy has qualified for WTF.
oh that's great. I was just about to ask whether anyone knew if he'd accumulated enough points yet in NY to do so. 
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6459 on: August 31, 2013, 04:41 PM »

Sooo excited for my trip there.... London Calling!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6460 on: August 31, 2013, 04:46 PM »

You lucky thing Westie.......Wish I could come too!  Very Happy
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6461 on: August 31, 2013, 06:52 PM »

Didn't Andy qualify last year by getting through Lopez at the USO? Something about that rings a bell, but that could be me losing the plot again.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6462 on: September 02, 2013, 11:45 AM »

Yesterday Ist Sept Teejay stated that she felt that there was too much fussing re Ferrer's proximity to Murray in the rankings She also stated that there was 1000 points between them therefore there was no danger
 Today Sept 2nd the table reads Murray 6880 points to Ferrer's 6670  To me that's a difference of 210 points not a thousand Please could she explain her thinking. Meanwhile I'm watching Ferrer like a hawk
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6463 on: September 02, 2013, 12:11 PM »

Yesterday Ist Sept Teejay stated that she felt that there was too much fussing re Ferrer's proximity to Murray in the rankings She also stated that there was 1000 points between them therefore there was no danger
 Today Sept 2nd the table reads Murray 6880 points to Ferrer's 6670  To me that's a difference of 210 points not a thousand Please could she explain her thinking. Meanwhile I'm watching Ferrer like a hawk
Tis indeed just 210 points.  Good thing that Ferrer has more points to defend for the rest of the season than Andy - because of Paris
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6464 on: September 02, 2013, 12:19 PM »

Tis indeed just 210 points.  Good thing that Ferrer has more points to defend for the rest of the season than Andy - because of Paris

Thanks for agreeing but Teejay may know something I don't know
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 428 429 430 [431] 432 433 434 ... 592 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »