Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 459 460 461 [462] 463 464 465 ... 599 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 324093 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6915 on: October 28, 2013, 05:36 AM »

Confusing information on the ATP site.  The rankings front page puts Andy in 3rd and Ferrer in 4th but the other where you can look up all the weeks have him in 4th for 28.10.13.  Very confusing.  Ferrer seems to have 1400 points to defend and Andy will lose 490 so he could be No. 3 at the end of the year.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6916 on: October 28, 2013, 06:00 AM »

Confusing information on the ATP site.  The rankings front page puts Andy in 3rd and Ferrer in 4th but the other where you can look up all the weeks have him in 4th for 28.10.13.  Very confusing.  Ferrer seems to have 1400 points to defend and Andy will lose 490 so he could be No. 3 at the end of the year.

Because the race matters more at this point in time than official rankings.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6917 on: October 28, 2013, 08:34 AM »

They always switch to "Race Rankings" after the US Open. 

I think it's because they know for most traditionalists, the main bit of the season is over, so to create a bit of extra buzz as the season tails off, they want everyone to obsess  over "who will qualify?" for the WTFs.  It's all a bit artificial, but I can't blame them.  It is the job of the website to do that sort of thing. lol
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6918 on: October 28, 2013, 08:50 AM »

Quite likely if the others in top 6 actually try hard in Paris. A lot seem to ease off or even withdraw to have a better chance at the O2!?

Ferrer has probably not only to make the final but win in Paris for any chance to stay ahead of Murray. This assumes he does no better at the O2 than he did last year. I think that the rankings at Australian Open are not changed by tournaments after New Year like Brisbane etc. Del Potro would have to win in Paris or make final and do better at the O2 to get above Andy. The others are too far behind. Next year Andy has a wonderful opportunity later in the year to make good progress in the rankings at the end of the year rather like Rafa did in his South American exploits early in 2013. If Andy got in some extra tournaments in Feb/March to get match fit that might keep him well up whatever happens in the AO? I would do that to be ready for the American hard court events which themselves would help him build for the French Open even if on a different surface.

All you rankings experts is that correct?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6919 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57 AM »

Quite likely if the others in top 6 actually try hard in Paris. A lot seem to ease off or even withdraw to have a better chance at the O2!?

Ferrer has probably not only to make the final but win in Paris for any chance to stay ahead of Murray. This assumes he does no better at the O2 than he did last year. I think that the rankings at Australian Open are not changed by tournaments after New Year like Brisbane etc. Del Potro would have to win in Paris or make final and do better at the O2 to get above Andy. The others are too far behind. Next year Andy has a wonderful opportunity later in the year to make good progress in the rankings at the end of the year rather like Rafa did in his South American exploits early in 2013. If Andy got in some extra tournaments in Feb/March to get match fit that might keep him well up whatever happens in the AO? I would do that to be ready for the American hard court events which themselves would help him build for the French Open even if on a different surface.

All you rankings experts is that correct?

Incorrect, Ferrer end up ahead of Andy if he just made the Paris Final .

As it stands Ferrer is 590 points behind Andy in the race. Paris final would mean 600 points for Ferrer, so even though he'd be dropping 400 points, when the  final rankings of the year are produced, he'd end up above Andy still.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6920 on: October 28, 2013, 09:15 AM »

Incorrect, Ferrer end up ahead of Andy if he just made the Paris Final .

As it stands Ferrer is 590 points behind Andy in the race. Paris final would mean 600 points for Ferrer, so even though he'd be dropping 400 points, when the  final rankings of the year are produced, he'd end up above Andy still.

Sorry bad mistake!  I forgot to deduct the 490 points that Andy loses shortly. Both Ferrer and DP got 400 points from the O2. If Ferrer only made the semis and DP only the QF's in Paris and they both did no better at the WTF I take it that Andy would regain his place at 3? I need to have a dream like Federer and Ferrer losing yesterday of which the latter helped Andy a lot for rankings.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6921 on: October 28, 2013, 09:18 AM »

I think that i was being hopeful again?  Had a bad night after a fall in a race yesterday and a day in A&E so brain is hopeless? I need Ferrer to have a bad fortnight totally but 4th for Andy is fine?
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6922 on: October 28, 2013, 10:39 AM »

I'm hoping for a first round exit !!!
Anderson or Youzhny won't be easy for the SmugOne
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6923 on: October 28, 2013, 12:16 PM »

Sorry bad mistake!  I forgot to deduct the 490 points that Andy loses shortly. Both Ferrer and DP got 400 points from the O2. If Ferrer only made the semis and DP only the QF's in Paris and they both did no better at the WTF I take it that Andy would regain his place at 3? I need to have a dream like Federer and Ferrer losing yesterday of which the latter helped Andy a lot for rankings.

If Ferrer managed Paris SF + two WTF win, that would also be enough for him to end the year higher than Andy.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6924 on: October 28, 2013, 12:32 PM »

I think that i was being hopeful again?  Had a bad night after a fall in a race yesterday and a day in A&E so brain is hopeless? I need Ferrer to have a bad fortnight totally but 4th for Andy is fine?
hope you're ok - too many marathons?   
Yes although I like Ferrer I want him to get minimal points for rest of year. And oh what a joy if smugfed did go out in his first round - quite possible as has been pointed out.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6925 on: October 28, 2013, 01:09 PM »

hope you're ok - too many marathons?   
Yes although I like Ferrer I want him to get minimal points for rest of year. And oh what a joy if smugfed did go out in his first round - quite possible as has been pointed out.

I was essentially a marathon and ultra distance runner - over 120 races of that type at a reasonable standard (best marathon 2:30:43). This injury was going fast downhill in a 10 km race! Impact with a road when going fast can be painful. A simple slip on mud at a downhill and couldn't regain my balance.  I cannot drive so perhaps have a week to watch some of the Paris coverage. I have semi final tickets for WTF again this year and a hatred of Smugfed supporters behaviour (they did boo Andy) so would have liked him not to qualify so there was no risk of having to watch him & suffer them. He is "past it" (just like me)  in my opinion as he is much slower now and less exciting to watch most of the time. The Basel final showed that clearly. I managed to watch the Olympic final on the screen from the hill as I had bronze medal match tickets but have yet to get to see Andy play in person although I have supported him since the time of his US junior win! I saw a determination back then that I thought refreshing for a Brit. I have tried but no luck as yet!

As you say Ferrer is likeable in that he is a good sportsman, gives his all but he is not a flair player who entertains? My prediction for Federer was 8th rank at the end of 2013 so I am close. 
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6926 on: October 28, 2013, 03:26 PM »

Like Ferrer but praying for him to go out in round two in Paris.

I don't want Andy's YE ranking to go backwards - we've had something like 43 - 17 - 11 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 4 - 3. It's so LINEAR.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Veteran

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6927 on: October 28, 2013, 03:38 PM »

I was essentially a marathon and ultra distance runner - over 120 races of that type at a reasonable standard (best marathon 2:30:43). This injury was going fast downhill in a 10 km race! Impact with a road when going fast can be painful. A simple slip on mud at a downhill and couldn't regain my balance.  I cannot drive so perhaps have a week to watch some of the Paris coverage. I have semi final tickets for WTF again this year and a hatred of Smugfed supporters behaviour (they did boo Andy) so would have liked him not to qualify so there was no risk of having to watch him & suffer them. He is "past it" (just like me)  in my opinion as he is much slower now and less exciting to watch most of the time. The Basel final showed that clearly. I managed to watch the Olympic final on the screen from the hill as I had bronze medal match tickets but have yet to get to see Andy play in person although I have supported him since the time of his US junior win! I saw a determination back then that I thought refreshing for a Brit. I have tried but no luck as yet!

As you say Ferrer is likeable in that he is a good sportsman, gives his all but he is not a flair player who entertains? My prediction for Federer was 8th rank at the end of 2013 so I am close. 

You're fast! My PB for 10 miles - 64 55 mins. A loooong time ago.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6928 on: October 28, 2013, 06:26 PM »

marathon:  I too would love smugfed not to qualify as I too was there last year and hated the way his fans treated Andy.  I had a really loud one next to me and I was on my own (the friend I was with being other side of stadium) and the young woman the other side of me asked if I was ok - I must have looked really upset!   
And I agree that Ferrer lacks flair but one has to give him credit for what he's achieved with less natural talent than many others.
hope you've recovered ok for WTF.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #6929 on: October 28, 2013, 06:28 PM »

You're fast! My PB for 10 miles - 64 55 mins. A loooong time ago.

I am now 64 and it is getting harder. I did 54:41 in 1977 for 10(so you can see I had and do still have a good turn of speed) but have gone faster at the start of longer races. A 60 year old did 54 minutes last Sunday but he is a legend in the oldies. Now going shorter (it is over quicker) and more enjoyable. Yesterday  I wanted to run around 40 minutes for the 10Km so disappointed most that I missed out. My problem is that I am too competitive so have to "win".

Perhaps that shows a reason why I follow AM. If the family do games at Christmas I have to win. I refuse to join in to avoid embarrassment! I understand that Judy has made comments regarding Andy never wanting to lose in that situation.

Next year I am thinking about a new track racing career when I turn 65. 800m sound good fun. Just two laps flat out.

Does anyone understand what I say about Federer?  His quality in his prime was that he was so quick into position he could play spectacular winners but now he cannot so his play is more ordinary. I do not dispute his ability when younger. It is the commentators inability to understand this that really upsets me. I do not expect to see him challenge in the rankings next year!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 459 460 461 [462] 463 464 465 ... 599 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »