Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 492 493 494 [495] 496 497 498 ... 592 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 309050 times)
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7410 on: January 25, 2014, 01:20 PM »

I think Andy will take the next few tournaments more seriously than he has in the past. Andy has virtually nothing to defend in the Clay season. Acapulco I reckon he will win that. I hope does so he can get some confidence back.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7411 on: January 27, 2014, 01:20 PM »

We are concerned about Andy's drop but he has only dropped 2 places.  Nadal dropped 3 places and many others have dropped more.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7412 on: January 27, 2014, 05:24 PM »

I think it was nice that Stan won, at 28 he may not have too many more chances.  Plus I hated listening to the comms as they praised Rafa up and down and thought they knew what was going through Stan's head.

Isn't it amazing how easy it is to fall in the rankings and how hard it is to go up it.

Looking forward to Andy coming back and climbing up the ranking ladder.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7413 on: January 27, 2014, 05:56 PM »

Isn't it amazing how easy it is to fall in the rankings and how hard it is to go up it.

Looking forward to Andy coming back and climbing up the ranking ladder.

Very true. I am too. 

Being positive and hoping that Acapulco gives him some points no-one has yet explained how Wawrinka has no 500 events in his ranking breakdown and Andy has three! I understand that there is a commitment to play three for top thirty players but not that they need to count so Murray is penalised for being injured whilst Stan benefits despite poor performances in those? He has two with 0 points! Can Murray drop 1000 event no scores from injury as others have done by not turning up? Another oddity. If he had been able he could have replaced those with points from a period when fit. 18 versus 12 results is hardly fair? I assume that Acapulco replaces Doha?

Should the rankings have some rule changes?
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7414 on: January 27, 2014, 06:03 PM »

I thought that injured players rankings were not penalized....maybe that's how it was in the old days.

* 12714 ranking.JPG (34.83 KB, 455x179 - viewed 262 times.)
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7415 on: January 27, 2014, 06:24 PM »

The thing that gets me, and I know it's daft, is that the BBC is going to great pains on their text pages to point out that Andy is down to no.6. It just gets me because not only do they point it out like it's the end of the world (it isn't), they also didn't make a fuss when the man went up to no.2.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7416 on: January 27, 2014, 06:32 PM »

I saw that, they made a big deal out of the points he is defending - but not the many opportunities to make them up. Rafa came back last Feb ranked 5 and won virtually everything in sight. He was still 5 when Wimbledon came round due to all his 0 point penalties. Post Wimbledon he was able to start dropping them and by the US open was ranked 2 and by October no 1. So while Andy may not rise too much initially he will be able to make great strides in second half of year - and has the benefit of more opportunities to make points between now and end of the French which rAfa didn't really have.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7417 on: January 27, 2014, 07:34 PM »

Most of those guys do not understand the ranking nor how they make the numbers fall.  Best to not pay attention to them, but very difficult to do.  And you are right, they didn't notice when he was #2.
IP Logged
colin
Satellite Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7418 on: January 27, 2014, 07:36 PM »

We are concerned about Andy's drop but he has only dropped 2 places.  Nadal dropped 3 places and many others have dropped more.

That puts it into perspective, Andy had to miss all those matches during the year but he is still as high as number six in the world. Just less than 1000 points below number three.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7419 on: January 27, 2014, 07:37 PM »

The thing that gets me, and I know it's daft, is that the BBC is going to great pains on their text pages to point out that Andy is down to no.6. It just gets me because not only do they point it out like it's the end of the world (it isn't), they also didn't make a fuss when the man went up to no.2.
Exactly TJ, they love to make a fuss for the wrong reasons, Andy will back up there second half of the year for sure .
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7420 on: January 27, 2014, 07:49 PM »

Most of those guys do not understand the ranking nor how they make the numbers fall.  Best to not pay attention to them, but very difficult to do.  And you are right, they didn't notice when he was #2.

To be fair, there's quite a few hard-core tennis fans who are confused by them!

I think a lot of people just forget that they reflect points gained over the previous 12 month period, and that doesn't just mean Andy is penalised for missing everything after the US Open, but for missing the French, and retiring in his first match in Rome, and the various other tournaments he didn't bother entering in the first place because he wanted to rest his back.   

People just presume that now he's back from injury, he shouldn't drop any lower, but should start going up again.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7421 on: January 28, 2014, 08:57 AM »

It's a pity that the 2 new 'imposters' are also the only 2 other players who have won a slam outside the 'old top 4'.  So they will be brimming with confidence and will be aiming high, knowing what they are capable of achieving.
And I think Stan's win will inspire those just behind Andy too.

But there's no point in worrying about it - there's nothing we can do - except hope and pray that Andy will ultimately return to 100%. It's something that cannot be rushed. Patience is a virtue.

IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7422 on: January 28, 2014, 06:42 PM »

Agreed about players being inspired by Stan's win.   I must admit, I was very torn about it.  My heart really wanted him to win, and the tennis fan in me knows it's great for the sport to have a different name on one of the big trophies, keeping things interesting.  However, my hardened, Andy-fan head knew that the points would make it harder for Andy to over-take him, and give others ideas!  lol

That's one of the things I hate about rankings.  You start to want other players to win or lose for all of the wrong reasons.

I've just been reading that Delpo is having bother with his left wrist again, and has needed an injection in it.  It's not clear if he'll need to withdraw from any tournaments, but I'd be surprised if he defended all of his 680 points between now and Indian Wells.  Ferrer has quite a lot to lose between now and then too, so it's not ridiculous that he could over-take them by then.  Unfortunately, with a lot of points to defend in Miami, Andy could drop below them again after that, even if he plays really well.

We have to be prepared for a bit of bobbing about in the rankings, that doesn't really reflect Andy's current form.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7423 on: January 28, 2014, 06:52 PM »

Im not clued up about this ranking lark at all, but could someone tell me is there ANY chance that andy wouldnt make the top 8 for world tour finals??  shocking
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7424 on: January 28, 2014, 06:56 PM »

The race is based on points from 1st Jan so it will be purely on this years performance. He better, I'm hoping to go again, will need to be FRiday night round robin then semis due to work. Wonderwhen tickets will be on sale, I 'm sure I got mine end of Jan last year. #excited
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 492 493 494 [495] 496 497 498 ... 592 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »