Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 493 494 495 [496] 497 498 499 ... 587 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 302537 times)
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7425 on: January 28, 2014, 07:01 PM »

The race is based on points from 1st Jan so it will be purely on this years performance. He better, I'm hoping to go again, will need to be FRiday night round robin then semis due to work. Wonderwhen tickets will be on sale, I 'm sure I got mine end of Jan last year. #excited

Ooh westie I would greet if I bought tickets and he wasnt there again Frown I think he will be though....cant see him dropping lower than 8? Im expecting an e mail any day now saying the barclays presale is on.

Think im gonna go for all day Thursday and Friday tickets.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7426 on: January 28, 2014, 07:17 PM »

Im not clued up about this ranking lark at all, but could someone tell me is there ANY chance that andy wouldnt make the top 8 for world tour finals??  shocking

IMO, it's unlikely he'd miss it, unless he goes "off sick" again for a lengthy period of time.

Even though we think a quarter final at the AO is under-whelming compared with Andy's usual form, he was one of the top 8 players there, which is all he needs to be all year.   Obviously, it's not quite as simple as that, but he's on track! Very Happy
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7427 on: January 28, 2014, 07:20 PM »

He's as close as Djokovic right now.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7428 on: January 28, 2014, 07:37 PM »

Or not - went on the ATP site and looked up the race. Very confused by no of tournaments they are saying players have played (eg Andy 3) and also why Djokovic has more points than Andy. I thought the race started at 0 on first day of the season for everyone  confused
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7429 on: January 28, 2014, 07:42 PM »

As far as I can see, after Miami Andy has very few points to defend in the clay court season, especially having missed RG last year.  Then, of course, he has his Wimbledon points to defend, but after that he doesn't have too many to defend in Canada and the US, and nothing for the rest of the season, so I can't really get excited about this drop right now.  I hope he does well in Acapulco, which he has a good change of winning, and I also hope he listens to his own advice, i.e. that last year he should have played a minor warm-up tournament before the Rogers Cup. 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7430 on: January 28, 2014, 08:24 PM »

I don't understand why the ATP site has Andy down as having played 3 tournaments and yet only lists the Oz Open and Doha.  Also, he doesn't seem to have gained any points at all from Doha - can anyone tell me why that should be?
[ Last edit by Alis January 28, 2014, 09:49 PM ] IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7431 on: January 28, 2014, 09:00 PM »

Djokovic has only played Aus open so was baffled by his. Federer hasn't played 3 either. There were other wonky ones too.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7432 on: January 28, 2014, 09:43 PM »

Djokovic has only played Aus open so was baffled by his. Federer hasn't played 3 either. There were other wonky ones too.

The Race rankings include Davis Cup Final points, as DC Final is after WTF. So that's 150 for Djoko, and 75 for Berdy
Andy has 380 points, 360 for AO, 20 for Doha. No idea about the 3rd tournament for him or some of the others.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7433 on: January 28, 2014, 09:51 PM »

The Race rankings include Davis Cup Final points, as DC Final is after WTF. So that's 150 for Djoko, and 75 for Berdy
Andy has 380 points, 360 for AO, 20 for Doha. No idea about the 3rd tournament for him or some of the others.

Thanks Elena.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7434 on: January 29, 2014, 11:54 AM »

Im not clued up about this ranking lark at all, but could someone tell me is there ANY chance that andy wouldnt make the top 8 for world tour finals??  shocking

If Andy is healthy throughout the year and makes it in every tournament he enters to at least the quarters he will stand a good chance of playing at th O2 in London in November

If you go  to live-tennis eu  you will see in the headings the current rankings There is a heading that covers the race  This is the one that decides who plays in London It will also tell you how many points players have to win Keep a calculator by your side that will help
If Andy wins at Apaculco He'll win either 250 points or 500 depending on the ranking of the event

If he is a finalist he'll get150 or 300 the semis its 60 or180 the rest depends on how many rounds they play
 Of course with a Masters there are more points
 Till you understand stick with the rankings site and hope that Andy wins a lot of matches
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7435 on: January 29, 2014, 12:16 PM »

If Andy wins at Apaculco He'll win either 250 points or 500 depending on the ranking of the event

Acapulco is a 500 event.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7436 on: January 29, 2014, 12:23 PM »

I just hope he plays more minor tournaments this year, although I thought they had to play a certain number anyway?  Unfortunately Queens doesn't upgrade to a 500 till next year.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7437 on: January 29, 2014, 01:14 PM »

I just hope he plays more minor tournaments this year, although I thought they had to play a certain number anyway?  Unfortunately Queens doesn't upgrade to a 500 till next year.

The one thing I would worry about if Andy did decide to play a lot of small tournaments is that that would make him less fresh for the slams. I think there is a balance to be struck in that way. My instinct is that he played fewer tournaments last year to protect his back. I don't think we can blame him for that. I think there are a certain number of 500's they are technically required to play, but I know someone else will understand that better than me.

It is a bit of a shame that Queen's isn't upgrading this year, but I have high hopes of him defending the points from last year successfully. Defending as many points as possible must surely be as important as gaining them.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7438 on: January 29, 2014, 01:21 PM »

I would think it better if he played 500 rather than minor tournaments if he cares about rankings. i do not think that he does.

Delpo and Ferrer, whom he should be above in ranking, both play two in January while Andy plays one. Those two are defending 680 and 550 points so semis in both means a good drop whereas Andy I think will gain whatever he earns from Acapulco less 20 (Doha). If either have a poor pair of tournaments and Andy makes the final in Acapulco he may gain a place. Depends on no others below doing very well though!

He still has six tournaments with 0 points to drop in 2014 (starting with Rolland Garros) so he is in a good position. Each of those will be like bonuses later in the year to his current total if he  has good runs. 

As I think he needs match practice I would have preferred two 500 events at this time but I trust his judgenment.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7439 on: January 29, 2014, 01:27 PM »

I would think it better if he played 500 rather than minor tournaments if he cares about rankings. i do not think that he does.

I think he does care, but I think he is results focused, not ranking focused, which strikes me as right.

I also think that as Andy was struggling with his back last year, and he's missed time on the tour, a temporary drop was inevitable. The way I see it is that the drop could have been worse.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 493 494 495 [496] 497 498 499 ... 587 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »