Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 502 503 504 [505] 506 507 508 ... 580 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 290414 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7560 on: February 15, 2014, 06:12 PM »

Falling out of the top 8 would be a problem at the smaller tournaments, seeding wise. It'd also mean no byes at the Masters 1000 events, which would be a distinct disadvantage.

Give. Gasguet and Tsonga are currently at 9 and 10, and neither are playing particularly well at the moment and are quite away behind, surely we don't need to panic about that quite yet?
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7561 on: February 15, 2014, 06:26 PM »

Andy's a long way from falling out of the top 8.  For that to happen any time soon would only happen if he has a considerable set-back, which is a problem in its own right.

He's almost 2000 points ahead of Gasquet, the current #9.  He less than 1000 points behind Stan in the #3 position and just under 500 points behind Ferrer (in current live rankings) who will be #4.   David will stretch the gap if he wins in Buenos Aires, but not that many as it's only a 250, and he's got points to defend in Acapulco too.

This was always going to be a tricky time for Andy rankings-wise.  None of us expected him to be back at full form, but he is on the mend and it feels as if he should be getting better, therefore making up lost ranking places.  In reality, he's still got those zero pointers hanging over him, so he's not getting credit for all of the points he has earned so far this year.

We just have to hope he gets back to almost full fitness so he can make up points at the tournaments where there are points to make up.  It is slightly confused because of a patchy season when he was playing injured, then a great grass season, then more patchy play, then no play.
IP Logged
FCR
Futures Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7562 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27 PM »

Just how important is Murray's ranking in the grand scheme of things.  People are losing their homes and some have lost their lives in these floods.  Get things in perspective, please!  IF Murray is good enough, he'll win, whatever his blessed ranking.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7563 on: February 15, 2014, 06:27 PM »

He will fall below Berdych. Watch the BBC rub it in again.

I'd say you're the one rubbing it in!

If Berdy wins tomorrow he'll overtake Andy. He's not defending his points in Marseille next week, so would be about 95 points ahead going into Dubai/Acapulco. He has 300 points to defend while Andy has none.

Let's hope Andy has a good run in Acapulco, but I don't think anyone else can catch up before Indian Wells even if he doesn't.
[ Last edit by Elena February 16, 2014, 02:51 PM ] IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7564 on: February 15, 2014, 06:29 PM »

Just how important is Murray's ranking in the grand scheme of things.  People are losing their homes and some have lost their lives in these floods.  Get things in perspective, please!  IF Murray is good enough, he'll win, whatever his blessed ranking.

This is a tennis forum, while all what's happened in Somerset is tragic and upsetting, relating it to a tennis issue is completely ridiculous.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7565 on: February 15, 2014, 06:38 PM »

Here flipping here....!!!

This is a tennis forum, while all what's happened in Somerset is tragic and upsetting, relating it to a tennis issue is completely ridiculous.

I can see why you might think that, but it is about perspective. We know why Murray's ranking is dropping, it is to be expected. We really don't need to get so het up about it.  In the great scheme of things, it makes some of us look very daft.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7566 on: February 15, 2014, 06:44 PM »

Obviously, it's OK to talk about the rankings, and discuss the pros and cons of different ranking positions.   The flooding in some parts of the UK might be a good reminder of perspective, but should apply at all times.

It's only sport, and the vast majority of professional tennis players would switch places with Andy, so getting upset about his position seems silly, especially given what he's achieved.  There's always something more important happening in the world.

I used to feel bad that Andy was thought of as a "nearly man", which seems painfully cruel, but dropping to 7 or 8 in the rankings given the circumstances, and after the success he's had, is no biggie.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7567 on: February 15, 2014, 07:17 PM »

All that matters ultimately is that Andy returns to full fitness and playing the kind of tennis he has always been capable of.  Once he does that, he'll see a drop in the rankings as a challenge.  He has always been better as the hunter rather than the hunted so I'm confident he will climb back up the rankings pretty smartly.  But as ever it could be bumpy on the way so tighten your seat belts on the Murray roller coaster folks and just have faith.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7568 on: February 16, 2014, 02:17 AM »

I used to feel bad that Andy was thought of as a "nearly man", which seems painfully cruel, but dropping to 7 or 8 in the rankings given the circumstances, and after the success he's had, is no biggie.
Same here, and also Andy said not so long ago that even if he retired now he'd be satisfied with what he'd achieved.  That though was before the back surgery so perhaps no longer applies, yet, although he might win the USO and Wimbledon again, and there's a chance of another medal in Rio, I don't think any of these victories will be as sweet as the first time.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7569 on: February 16, 2014, 02:49 PM »

All that matters ultimately is that Andy returns to full fitness and playing the kind of tennis he has always been capable of.  Once he does that, he'll see a drop in the rankings as a challenge.  

Agreed. I also continue to agree that that there is no point worrying about it. It's not as if Andy has undergone some sort of catastrophic loss of form or desire to win. We know why his ranking has dropped (out for four months and recovering from surgery) and we know why his performances are up and down, i.e he was out for four months and he's recovering from surgery. Most of us knew it would happen for a while, even if we hoped he would come back in a blaze of glory and whip everyone's backsides.

If Andy isn't on an upward curve by the grass court season, at least in terms of performance if not ranking, there might be room to think there is an issue. Until then, while being higher in the rankings would help his seedings, it's not worth getting into a state about it. When Andy is playing his best it's patently obvious he isn't 6 in the world really.

I was thinking about the clay court season. I know some of us have suggested it could be good for Andy this year. We know he isn't defending much then. It also occurs to me that expectations won't be high, based on the last couple of years. I can't help thinking the clay might be good in terms of helping Andy to play without high expectations hanging over him, except for those he puts on himself of course. It could be just the time when Andy can go out and play freely and see what happens.

IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7570 on: February 16, 2014, 02:59 PM »

Especially given that I'd bet my last pound on Andy not being done yet.

While I buy the idea that Andy could stop tomorrow and he'd sleep at night, knowing what he's achieved, I still feel he is as driven as ever. I feel sure he won't like the drop in ranking, and I suspect he hates the mixed form, at least based on how annoyed he was getting with himself against Thiem, but he knows why it is happening. He's doing his utmost to do something about it too, which is all we can ask for.

When Andy is playing well we're seeing enough to know good things could lie ahead. All he needs is matches, to regain his consistency.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7571 on: February 16, 2014, 03:38 PM »

Ok so Berdych has won his first title in 18 months and it hurts a bit that Andy will be lower than him in the rankings come Monday given all he has achieved in that time.  Can someone who knows about these things give us some detail on how bad the damage is and what difference Acapulco could make.  These things go right over my head.  Doesn't Delpo loose points as he was champ last year.  ???
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7572 on: February 16, 2014, 03:41 PM »

F**k injuries.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7573 on: February 16, 2014, 03:45 PM »

Ok so Berdych has won his first title in 18 months and it hurts a bit that Andy will be lower than him in the rankings come Monday given all he has achieved in that time.  Can someone who knows about these things give us some detail on how bad the damage is and what difference Acapulco could make.  These things go right over my head.  Doesn't Delpo loose points as he was champ last year.  ???

He lost them when he lost on Friday, but because Andy lost the same day, and in the same round, he earned no more than Del Potro lost, so didn't pass him.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7574 on: February 16, 2014, 03:45 PM »

So, Andy is the new World No. 7. His lowest ranking since 2008 I believe.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 502 503 504 [505] 506 507 508 ... 580 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »