Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Murray's Ranking 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: What will andys ranking be @ end 2014?
Worse

Pages: 1 ... 506 507 508 [509] 510 511 512 ... 586 Go Down Reply
Author

Murray's Ranking

(Read 299666 times)
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7620 on: February 22, 2014, 02:18 PM »

Well it will be 3pm there, but yes it does seem rather late. I assume though that most players will have the rest of the evening to prepare for their matches.

Maybe they're waiting to see how many players they've got! It looks like 4th and 5th seeds Fognini and Nishikori have pulled out. There are only 16 players in qualifying, so that should be finished tomorrow.

Liverankings at the start of the week should be
4. Ferrer 5160 -5480 (I think)
5. Delpo 4870
6. Andy 4795
7. Berdy 4635
8. Fed  4125

1-4 probably out of reach. Fed can't catch up.
Andy and Ferrer playing Acapulco
Djoko, Del Potro, Berdych and Fed playing Dubai 

Andy's best of 6 now: Queens 250, Davis Cup 95, Rotterdam 90, and three 0 point penalties.
So points gained in Acapulco would replace Rotterdam, (if he gets 90 or more!)
Monte Carlo points (90) have gone into non-countables, and will expire before the penalties drop off, so won't be counted again.

I see Stan got a 0 penalty for pulling out of Rotterdam.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7621 on: February 22, 2014, 02:32 PM »

Maybe they're waiting to see how many players they've got! It looks like 4th and 5th seeds Fognini and Nishikori have pulled out. There are only 16 players in qualifying, so that should be finished tomorrow.

Liverankings at the start of the week should be
4. Ferrer 5160 -5480 (I think)
5. Delpo 4870
6. Andy 4795
7. Berdy 4635
8. Fed  4125

1-4 probably out of reach. Fed can't catch up.
Andy and Ferrer playing Acapulco
Djoko, Del Potro, Berdych and Fed playing Dubai 

Andy's best of 6 now: Queens 250, Davis Cup 95, Rotterdam 90, and three 0 point penalties.
So points gained in Acapulco would replace Rotterdam, (if he gets 90 or more!)
Monte Carlo points (90) have gone into non-countables, and will expire before the penalties drop off, so won't be counted again.

I see Stan got a 0 penalty for pulling out of Rotterdam.

Nope, the players replacing Nishikori and Fognini are Mannarino and Kamke, with special entry possibly going to Kubot.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7622 on: February 22, 2014, 02:40 PM »

well usually the draw is done on the friday or saturday before play starts on monday (with qualifiers distributed once qualifying is finished) and one would expect the first order of play by the time they're doing the draw.  Presumably oop will follow straight after and it may be that the top seeds have already been told which day they'll start.
IP Logged
iamabritt
World No 1

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7623 on: February 22, 2014, 02:42 PM »

Well the tennis channel will be showing Acapulco late coverage begins monday night. Hope Andy enjoys the warm weather
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7624 on: February 22, 2014, 02:48 PM »

sky is going to be showing it at midnight in UK.   Now I know how to record remotely through my phone or pc thanks to Masaka and Angie, I'm hoping I'll be able to record Andy even though I won't be home first half of week.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7625 on: February 22, 2014, 04:15 PM »

My thanks  to the people who've put out some info re Apaculco I began to think that the meeting had been cancelled I won't be able to follow it as UK is 6 hours ahead of them
 I do note that the ever active Ferrer has entered for it making this his third tournament in 3 weeks I reckon he'll be no 3 soon
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7626 on: February 22, 2014, 09:37 PM »

Now that Ferrer has lost in his Rio semi does that mean on live scores he will have 5070 points next week ie dropping 300 for being a finalist in Acapulco in 2013?
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7627 on: February 22, 2014, 09:51 PM »

Now that Ferrer has lost in his Rio semi does that mean on live scores he will have 5070 points next week ie dropping 300 for being a finalist in Acapulco in 2013?

Think it will be 5160 as he'll replace the 300 with 90 from Auckland
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7628 on: February 22, 2014, 10:19 PM »

Think it will be 5160 as he'll replace the 300 with 90 from Auckland

Thanks.

That makes some sense. I wondered what he could gain from what he had in his non-counting tournaments. I take it that the 90 is replaceable by what he gets from Acapulco as long as it is greater? There is a rumour that Ferrer is not going to Acapulco so....................
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7629 on: February 23, 2014, 07:15 AM »

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2014/feb/17/andy-murray-slip-number-seven-tennis-wimbledon-champion
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7630 on: February 23, 2014, 10:41 AM »

Not a mention of Andy Murray having his ranking based only two thirds of the events compared to the others. That is the main reason that he is at number 7 surely. Does this man read the detail or just do emotional comment? Not a lot of relevant facts.  I do agree that the new guys can start to make inroads but the large points are scored in the grand slams where they are not usually strong enough to maintain the work rate needed. It is further skewed by top eight getting more points added for the next year from WTF. That should be changed?  Have a think about it before dismissing the idea.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7631 on: February 23, 2014, 11:06 AM »

^ The fascinating thing for me about that piece in the Guardian is the comments beneath it. A number of them make the point that Andy was out for four months, so couldn't defend or earn points. Some also make the valid point that Andy's back was an issue throughout last year.

I think there has been a lot of hysteria about Andy's ranking. You could argue a top four spot helps, especially in the slams, but does it really make a difference? When Andy is fully match fit, which will be pretty soon, who is going to want to face him earlier in the slams than they might otherwise have done, assuming he isn't top four again by SW19?

The thing the press, and some within the game, want to use as an indication of change at the top is Stan winning the AO. Now don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Stan that win for a second. I know there are no ifs and buts about slam wins (but try telling that to people who think Andy somehow fluked his!) but there is no certainty that Stan will win more. It was funny to me how John Lloyd had Stan as a multi-slam winner just after the AO final, literally seconds after. Stan could win more, but I don't think the other top players are going anywhere, so it won't be easy.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7632 on: February 23, 2014, 12:27 PM »

The thing the press, and some within the game, want to use as an indication of change at the top is Stan winning the AO. Now don't get me wrong, I don't begrudge Stan that win for a second. I know there are no ifs and buts about slam wins (but try telling that to people who think Andy somehow fluked his!) but there is no certainty that Stan will win more. It was funny to me how John Lloyd had Stan as a multi-slam winner just after the AO final, literally seconds after. Stan could win more, but I don't think the other top players are going anywhere, so it won't be easy.

That reflects what I think too.  Another point is that of of the second tier who have done well many seem to fold quickly in events after just as Andy did before he got his mind into better order. Stan winning AO I think maybe was a one off like DelPo winning in US a few years ago.  What is encouraging is that he now has a a repaired body on top of his usual good fitness so he has potential to get back into the top four. That would give him a lot of confidence to go further if the others allow it?
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7633 on: February 24, 2014, 11:49 AM »

In my view anyone tipped for immediate success by such as John Lloyd has the kiss of death Wawrinka's place in the rankings is due to Andy's absence and poor form
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Murray's Ranking « Reply #7634 on: February 24, 2014, 06:30 PM »

I see Berdych and Delpo are in the same half in Dubai - so max 180 points for one of them!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 506 507 508 [509] 510 511 512 ... 586 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »