Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Jurgen Melzer, Wednesday, Estimated time - 12:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Raw Tennis Fan Feedback 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Reply
Author

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback

(Read 815 times)
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback « on: November 30, 2005, 08:49 PM »

Sorry - i don't know if this has been posted or not.  confused
Just some feedback from some kids that attended the Soho event.

"Raw Tennis will probably double the amount of kids playing the game because it's a lot more fun than normal," he said.

"Practising new tricks is cool. It's not about being the best in your club, it's about fun as well. It should keep teenagers playing.

"Growing up when I saw Wimbledon it was always the old-boy set-up - it didn't look that much fun for the younger kids.

"But anyone can play Raw Tennis anywhere - in the street, in a back yard or on a football pitch. I'm really happy to promote this program. The LTA have organised it very well."

Murray proved annoyingly talented when he showed off his football skills by catching a tennis ball on the back of his neck and between his shoulder and his ear.

And the move away from just hitting the ball over the net is proving popular amongst those who've tried it.

16-year-old Robert said: "I've learnt the tricks just messing around between points in matches and at training.

"I like the freestyle side to it, just trying new things. Spectators are impressed and the showboating side of things gives you a buzz too."

Ruth, 14, from Essex was equally impressed with Murray's skills and liked the style of the new scheme.

She said: "My club prefers it if we wear tennis clothes but I think now this has started we'll be able to wear more normal clothes."

Anya, from East London added: "I think it's a really good idea. Not only is it free but you can wear anything, turn up whenever you like and you don't have to be a top player either."

Admittedly Raw Tennis isn't going to turn youngsters into champions but it should broaden the base from which players begin and improve their skills.

Dominic, a coach from Hertfordshire, said: "I think it's a fantastic idea, especially for juniors who aren't going to be brilliant.

"It really gives them something to work towards with the targets and the skills, it makes tennis a little bit more cool for 10-18 year olds.

"Murray's going to be good for the game. He's got that style about him - cool, laid back but still fun."

Whatever his achievements on the Grand Slam circuit, Murray is already proving a valuable if raw asset for the future of British tennis.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback « Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 08:50 PM »

Sorry - forgot to mention...
Source is BBC sports.
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback « Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 12:39 PM »

heres the official site for raw tennis. its pretty good.

http://www.rawtennis.net/
IP Logged
Sir Panda
Murraymaniac

Misunderstood genius.

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback « Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 03:43 PM »

Thanks for the link
IP Logged
Josh
Seed

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback « Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 07:17 PM »

Hope that this scheme is successful and if it doesn't produce players, at least getting more people interested is a start.
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback « Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 07:47 PM »

I read somewhere (can't remember where now  confused ), but Andy wants to make tennis as popular as football is in Britain.... Is that a realistic hope?
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback « Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 07:53 PM »

I think there's more chance for cricket then tennis...  :P but with some more publicity i think tennis might soon be the third loved sport in Britain  crossfingers Everybody loves Andy.. and in my eyes, a lot of things have changed since his arrival... and he's still growing!  goodjob
But i think football will always stay top  no It's a sort of "religion" for the British fans - i doubt there will be as many for tennis Frown
IP Logged
Banannie
Veteran

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback « Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 08:47 PM »

Yes... I think football will always be a favourite  :P
But perhaps with Andy coming through, he might get rid of that tennis being a middle-class sport, and bring new supporters to the game  dontknow
IP Logged
Amy
Challenger Level

Raw Tennis Fan Feedback « Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 10:24 PM »

Quote from: "Banannie"
Yes... I think football will always be a favourite  :P
But perhaps with Andy coming through, he might get rid of that tennis being a middle-class sport, and bring new supporters to the game  dontknow

the thing about andy murray is that hes such a big kid and i reckon thats why so many kids relate to him and his tennis and why as a result of him promoting the sport- its proving more popular with kids. his age is a big factor too. you can have as many tim henmans promoting around the uk for as long as you like and there still wouldnt be much difference to the popularity of tennis. dont get me wrong, tim henman is a fantastic sportsman and an idol of mine but he just doesnt have that appela that andry does. it might be something to do with tim being upper middle class, but then agian it might not- i dont know. but thats the image that tennis has had for the last 10 years or so isnt it? its been a sport associated with those of a higher status- it might be another story for you guys but from my experience this is it.

andys hit the nails right on the head. hes gone out there, associated with the kids, got them motivated. and becuse of his laid back off court and passionate on court attitude, the kids have listened. they respect him.

i know exactly what i want to say in my head bt it just wont come out ont he keyboard. i hope you can all get the jist of what im tryin to say. im not that good with words...
IP Logged
Pages: [1] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »