Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 11 (57.9%)
Murray in 3. - 8 (42.1%)
Gasquet in 2. - 0 (0%)
Gasquet in 3. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 19

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet

(Read 2039 times)
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #30 on: August 07, 2014, 07:48 PM »

It was "A piece o'cake" afterall Angie.

Was also really looking fwd to an evening with Andy..but alas.
Me too,Linda, rushed around so I would be ready Frown still Andy in quarters Smile
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #31 on: August 07, 2014, 07:49 PM »

Huh, that's not ideal. Could have done with the match practice.

Didnt do him no harm yesterday!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #32 on: August 07, 2014, 07:51 PM »

Match is done. Gasquet has withdrew.
Fricking heck!!  Didn't give much warning, did he? 
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #33 on: August 07, 2014, 07:55 PM »

well I didn't notice any rust on Andy yesterday.  I imagine he'll play a practice set to make up for it now, if he can.  Anyway good news he faces jwt rather than nole, who was no real opposition today but might have perked up for tomorrow had he won.
Correct, Ruthie, Andy was completely as rust free as stainless steel yesterday, but every match played will strengthen his chances.

Stan and Djoko are the 2 upsets of the day, so far... Lets see if Federer is the next man to go!
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #34 on: August 07, 2014, 08:02 PM »

yes but only one who has used the dreaded 'piece of cake' words.  If he loses it will be cake in the face a la Dimitrov I think for Angie  Whistle

Can anyone remind me how far Andy got in Rogers Cup last year?  I seem to remember he went out pretty early in the singles though was in longer for the dubs with Jamie (or was that Cinci?)
1st round exit. Last year they made a huge chocolate cake to celebrate Andys Wimbeldon win and served it on court. He cut himself a huge gluttonous slice and scoffed the lot, like a little piggy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 08:17 PM »

Shame, was looking forward to this match.
Me too - and I missed an interesting TV programme as well so's I could get ready for it! lol

Good for Tsonga, but a fairly rusty Andy will have to be extra clever to beat an in form Jo-Wilfried.
well I didn't notice any rust on Andy yesterday.  I imagine he'll play a practice set to make up for it now, if h e can.
He probably headed straight for the practice court, if he wasn't on it already, when the announcement was made, although I'm sure he would have preferred the extra match practice too, especially against a considerably more experienced player than Kyrgios.  Also from a report I've just read Tsonga was on fire against Djokovic!

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #36 on: August 07, 2014, 08:31 PM »

thanks for that information lashurst - good so Andy has already picked up points. 
Oh well I can watch Honourable Woman now.   And I seem to remember a MW member has QF tickets for end of a N American holiday so they'll be pleased they know they're seeing Andy.  I wonder how Linda has got on. Perhaps she's stalking Andy on the practice courts as I write  Whistle
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #37 on: August 07, 2014, 08:31 PM »

1st round exit. Last year they made a huge chocolate cake to celebrate Andys Wimbeldon win and served it on court. He cut himself a huge gluttonous slice and scoffed the lot, like a little piggy.
Linda, I think that was to celebrate his Olympic win ..... remember he rushed straight to Toronto after the final?  Also last year he exited after his R3 match.  Yes, watching him tucking into that cake was really funny.  He was just like a wee laddie!

I'm not suprised Gasquet has an abdominal strain.  He's played a lot of tennis recently, including two tough matches yesterday (singles and doubles)
[ Last edit by Aileen August 07, 2014, 09:02 PM ] IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #38 on: August 07, 2014, 08:33 PM »

you're right I think Aileen though that year he won his first (ie 2nd) round and then went out to Chardy in the 3rd round. So I guess he did go out in 2nd round last year ie first round played, which is what counts now
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #39 on: August 07, 2014, 08:38 PM »

you're right I think Aileen though that year he won his first (ie 2nd) round and then went out to Chardy in the 3rd round. So I guess he did go out in 2nd round last year ie first round played, which is what counts.
I seem to recall that he played well in his first match, then faded against Chardy.  Played with Jamie in the doubles too and they got to the final.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #40 on: August 07, 2014, 08:39 PM »

oh was that last year?  I thought the Chardy defeat was two years ago and the dubs final last year but could be getting confused on the first part  confused
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #41 on: August 07, 2014, 08:46 PM »

Drat, no match to watch, but then to hear that Tsonga beat Djokovic, well good win for Tsonga, but honestly, I watched Nole play Monfils and Monfils could have won that match had he not done himself in, he was ahead many different times.   I'm sure Andy's team will do what's necessary to get Andy ready for tomorrow's match. Haha guess I'll have to do some housework.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #42 on: August 07, 2014, 08:58 PM »

oh was that last year?  I thought the Chardy defeat was two years ago and the dubs final last year but could be getting confused on the first part  confused
I'm confused now too, and looking at Andy's wiki isn't any help either apart from telling us that Chardy beat him in Cincy last year.  I'm pretty sure though that he did go out in his 2nd match in Montreal - came out all guns blazing for the first few points then slumped, looking like he'd rather not be there.  I'm sure he played in the doubles though with Jamie (or was it Colin?) because he got criticised by some on here - surprise, surprise! - for doing that instead of focussing on the singles.

Maybe somebody with a better memory than ours will get it right!
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #43 on: August 07, 2014, 09:08 PM »

Andy beat Granollers then went out to Gulbis last year, see playing activity, 2013 at http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Players/Top-Players/Andy-Murray.aspx?

He also played doubles with Colin and reached the finals. He was asked about doubles this year

Q.  You talked about getting plenty of matches in before the US Open.  Last year you had a really good run here in the doubles.  Were you tempted to use that again to sort of build up your match sharpness or did it just not work logically?
ANDY MURRAY:  No, I wasn't originally going to have a bye in the tournament because I would have been‑‑ before Rafa pulled out, I was told I was going to be playing on Monday evening a little while ago.
So I planned all of my training and everything around playing my first match on Monday evening and, you know, arranged to come here on Thursday to get here a little bit earlier to get used to the conditions.
Yeah, I had been asked by a couple of the guys‑‑ Colin had asked me to play doubles, and I said to him, Sorry, but I'm not going to have a bye so I don't want to play.
Then, yeah, obviously I found out Wednesday afternoon/evening when Rafa pulled out, so I had thought about it, but not this year.
http://www.asapsports.com/show_interview.php?id=101548
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 R3: Andy Murray vs. Richard Gasquet « Reply #44 on: August 07, 2014, 09:10 PM »

Andy was knocked out in the 3rd round by Gulbis.    He played the doubles with Colin I think but can't remember how far they got.    Beyond his singles I think.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »