Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10

(Read 4673 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « on: July 30, 2014, 02:22 AM »

This is one of my favourite tournaments (no prize for guessing why Very Happy)

Andy is seeded 9th. Full info here: http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/currentNews.php?id=SEEDINGS_ANNOUNCED_FOR_2014_ROGERS_CUP_PRESENTED_BY_NATIONAL_BANK

SEEDING

1 Novak Djokovic (SRB)
2 Rafael Nadal (ESP)
3 Roger Federer (SUI)
4 Stan Wawrinka (SUI)
5 Tomas Berdych (CZE)
6 David Ferrer (ESP)
7 Milos Raonic (CAN)
8 Grigor Dimitrov (BUL)
9 Andy Murray (GBR)
10 Kei Nishikori (JPN)
11 John Isner (USA)
12 Ernests Gulbis (LAT)
13 Richard Gasquet (FRA)
14 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (FRA)
15 Roberto Bautista Agut (ESP)
16 Marin Cilic (CRO)

I'm guessing Andy will not receive a bye and will play 1st round? (never understood all that stuff)

Draw will take place tomorrow, my time 4:00pm (UK time 9:00pm)

IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #1 on: July 30, 2014, 03:47 AM »

I think all 16 seeds recieve a bye. Could be wrong though.

I'll be keeping an eye on Kyrgios during this event, hope he doesn't play Andy.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 04:50 AM »

I think all 16 seeds recieve a bye. Could be wrong though.
I thought that too, but from what I've just googled it looks like he won't receive a bye since Masters usually only give byes to the top 8 seeds, although there are exceptions. Extra byes are only given if the tournament doesn't have its full quota of players.

Draw will take place tomorrow, my time 4:00pm (UK time 9:00pm)
Your enthusiasm and impatience must be getting to you Linda. hug  The draw takes place on Friday at these times.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:49 AM »

I thought that too, but from what I've just googled it looks like he won't receive a bye since Masters usually only give byes to the top 8 seeds, although there are exceptions. Extra byes are only given if the tournament doesn't have its full quota of players.
Your enthusiasm and impatience must be getting to you Linda. hug  The draw takes place on Friday at these times.

That's right - Andy won't get a bye. Indian Wells and Miami offer byes to the top 16 seeds as they have bigger draws but the other Masters events only give byes to the top 8.

So Andy will play unseeded players in rounds 1 and 2, and then one of Berdych/Ferrer/Raonic/Dimitrov in round 3. Could be tough, but playing an extra round may help him get into form ahead of the tougher matches.
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:25 PM »

At least Andy will get a bye now. Sad for Rafa though.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:04 PM »

Yeah.. just found out about that. Shame for Rafa, and I was hoping to see him play. He's the only one of the top 4 I haven't seen live. He's going to be in a cast. Too bad.

On a personal note.. I'm happy Andy won't be playing until Tuesday earliest because I'm away until Monday afternoon.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #6 on: July 31, 2014, 02:19 AM »

So Andy will play unseeded players in rounds 1 and 2, and then one of Berdych/Ferrer/Raonic/Dimitrov in round 3. Could be tough, but playing an extra round may help him get into form ahead of the tougher matches.
Thankfully it'll also change the players he's likely to meet.  I really didn't fancy his chances too much against any of these four, apart from maybe Ferrer against whom he has an excellent hard court record.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 11:11 AM »

Thankfully it'll also change the players he's likely to meet.  I really didn't fancy his chances too much against any of these four, apart from maybe Ferrer against whom he has an excellent hard court record.

Last year seeds 8 and 4 met in the quarters so that bodes well in that if that happens again he will avoid the new top three until a semi. However as he often seems unable to crack Berdych then perhaps he is not the ideal potential QF opponent? Perhaps AM will help him to dictate a match with Tomas as he should? Last year 9 played 7 before the top seed in the QF so this is a lot easier.  Still a good chance now for a semi place.

I am also sorry that Rafa has pulled out. He bring a lot to tournaments. Is that strategic for US Open. I am sorry to say that I am always cynical about his withdrawals! I see that it is a wrist injury. Is that a recurring problem for him or something new?
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #8 on: July 31, 2014, 02:04 PM »

Rafa will turn up at the US Open having extended his break and we will find that there is nothing wrong with his wrist or his knees    I'm sorry in a way that Andy does not have to play Round one I hoped doing that might wake him up to the current situation of his current ranking position
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #9 on: July 31, 2014, 02:06 PM »

Nice to see Kyrgios get the WC he so deserved.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #10 on: July 31, 2014, 02:20 PM »

That's right - Andy won't get a bye. Indian Wells and Miami offer byes to the top 16 seeds as they have bigger draws but the other Masters events only give byes to the top 8.

Just to confirm the changes as Andy now will be seeded 8 it now should read that he has a bye in round 1 then meets unseeded players in rounds 2 & 3 and then potentially his first higher ranked seed in the QF's and potentially a top four seed in the semi. 

I have every confidence he should get that far. The even better news is that Rafa has apparently pulled out of Cincinnati too so a similar situation will apply there with him seeded 8 again. I think that the draw date there means that the results in Toronto will not be considered. Can someone please confirm this?
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #11 on: July 31, 2014, 02:31 PM »

Rafa will turn up at the US Open having extended his break and we will find that there is nothing wrong with his wrist or his knees    I'm sorry in a way that Andy does not have to play Round one I hoped doing that might wake him up to the current situation of his current ranking position

I see that there are more cynics out there! I wonder if others on the circuit already expected or knew this would happen. Probably did.

Andy has indeed been very lucky with the draws for these next two events. I was ultra critical of him not doing a back-up 250 or 500 event so he could protect his ranking more for an easier route through draws but it is nearly irrelevant now. Reasonable results now and a good US Open is all  that he needs to progress. Then he can add points after at events he withdrew from last year to start to climb the list more rapidly.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #12 on: July 31, 2014, 02:45 PM »

Nice to see Kyrgios get the WC he so deserved.

This news will up the interest factor  Will it be the pigeon among the cats or vice versa ?
 I certainly hope Andy will avoid him
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #13 on: July 31, 2014, 03:27 PM »

Daveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeed Ferrer is also doubtful for Toronto with an Elbow injury.

If he pulls out, Murray gets boosted to 7th seed.
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup 2014 - Toronto: Aug 2-10 « Reply #14 on: July 31, 2014, 03:37 PM »

Daveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee eeed Ferrer is also doubtful for Toronto with an Elbow injury.

If he pulls out, Murray gets boosted to 7th seed.

Not quite sure if  that will help Andy's draw. If 4 plays 8, 1 plays 7, 3 plays 5 and 2 plays 6 as last year he will get Novak in the QF's so could end up playing 1, 4 and 2 at the end of the tournament to win it. Sometimes they draw the seeds a different way so that is not absolutely certain.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 9 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »