Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla

(Read 5325 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « on: August 08, 2012, 12:53 AM »

Well it looks like we're up and running again!  In the absence of any news to the contrary it seems Andy will be playing in Toronto just three days after his Wimbledon triumphs.  The match is scheduled for not before 3 pm Toronto time - 8 pm BST

Flavio Cipolla is currently ranked No. 96 and the two have never played each other.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:19 AM »

So Raonic is through. If Andy gets past this, he'll be playing Raonic.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 01:21 AM »

Cipolla hit a career high of #70 earlier this year but has struggled for form lately, with just four wins in the last four months. He has a 12-19 record this year.

In the absence of a H2H, and with Bev presumably asleep at this hour, here's his last six tournaments:

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 01:29 AM »

Cipolla  is a very good first round for Andy but then again, if he wins, there's trouble waiting just for him. Andy needs to sort Raonic out, no doubt but I am just not sure if it's the right time. That's all.

IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 01:59 AM »

Bad time for me - I leave for work at 7.30 am (that's what time it would be on for me) but good news is that ESPN have coverage, so I may get to see this afterall Very Happy

No expectations whatsoever regarding this match, but cmonandy if he feels he's up to it.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 02:07 AM »

Cipolla hit a career high of #70 earlier this year but has struggled for form lately, with just four wins in the last four months. He has a 12-19 record this year.

In the absence of a H2H, and with Bev presumably asleep at this hour, here's his last six tournaments:

Bev lives in NZ so should be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed just now!  Tried sending her a PM but got told her inbox is full.

Anyway thanks MH for providing that info for the H2H. Smile

Cipolla  is a very good first round for Andy but then again, if he wins, there's trouble waiting just for him. Andy needs to sort Raonic out, no doubt but I am just not sure if it's the right time. That's all.
Cipolla (a qualifier) should be a good first match, but it all depends how Andy copes with playing in the hottest part of the day whilst getting over jetlag, given that Cipolla might well play high risk tennis since he has nothing to lose.  Playing Raonic would certainly not be easy, especially if his serve is firing.  He'll also have the added advantage of a home crowd to boost him.  But let's not get ahead of things and take one match at a time.

IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 02:08 AM »

Bad time for me - I leave for work at 7.30 am (that's what time it would be on for me) but good news is that ESPN have coverage, so I may get to see this afterall Very Happy

No expectations whatsoever regarding this match, but cmonandy if he feels he's up to it.
Hi Bev! wave  Tried sending you a PM but your inbox was full.  You're obviously a popular person!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 02:09 AM »

Bev lives in NZ so should be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed just now!  Tried sending her a PM but got told her inbox is full.

Anyway thanks MH for providing that info for the H2H. Smile

Embarassed blush  Just emptied a few out and my lunch break is nearly over doh 
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 02:09 AM »

Hi Bev! wave  Tried sending you a PM but your inbox was full.

Sorry Aileen - should be some free space now.
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 02:10 AM »

Thing is with Cipolla he can play some pretty amazing stuff at times. He's sprung some good results in the last 12 months. He is also incredibly inconsistent (the story for most players at that level really), and will often win a set 6-1 then lose then next 0-6 (or vice versa). Andy should have few problems coping with him, but I guess it comes down to if he is able to adapt quickly to the Hard (and cope with the psychological comedown after the Olympic win).
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 03:52 AM »

Thing is with Cipolla he can play some pretty amazing stuff at times. He's sprung some good results in the last 12 months. He is also incredibly inconsistent (the story for most players at that level really), and will often win a set 6-1 then lose then next 0-6 (or vice versa). Andy should have few problems coping with him, but I guess it comes down to if he is able to adapt quickly to the Hard (and cope with the psychological comedown after the Olympic win).
I don't think I've ever seen Cipolla play, but he certainly didn't waste much time in beating his fellow qualifier Jurgen Zopp 6-1, 6-2.  Interesting point about the psychological comedown though - but I suppose it's possible Andy could still be on a high.

Sorry Aileen - should be some free space now.
I'll bear that in mind tomorrow if Andy gets past Cipolla.  Or you could even open the thread ... Very Happy
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #11 on: August 08, 2012, 04:39 AM »

Oh so Andy is definitely playing then? I wasn't sure after reading his presser.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #12 on: August 08, 2012, 07:39 AM »

Well it looks like we're up and running again!  In the absence of any news to the contrary it seems Andy will be playing in Toronto just three days after his Wimbledon triumphs.  The match is scheduled for not before 3 pm Toronto time - 8 pm BST

Flavio Cipolla is currently ranked No. 96 and the two have never played each other.
Thanks Aileen, for the time and information orientation.
We'll just have to wait and see how much the last month may have affected his body, especially the very intensive playing this last week.

Physically, his body must be in need of restituition, plus the need to adjust to new time-zone for his body clock.

I'd like him to beat Raonic, just for the sake of the records, but should he not progress very far in Rogers Cup I wouldnt be shocked or disappointed.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 07:49 AM »

To be honest I think Id like Andy to treat this as a practice match to get playing on hard courts again. Honestly Id be happy if he lost. That would give him a week to get ready for Cincinatti and to put in a good performance there in preparation for the USO.
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 08:03 AM »

He has said that if he does not go far into this tournament he will not be concerned as USO is his target.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 14 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »