Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla

(Read 5954 times)
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #195 on: August 08, 2012, 10:28 PM »

I don't think we'd begrudge a jet-lagged, sleep deprived Andy a wedge of chocolate cake!  Such a nice gesture from the organisers.  Thought in the circumstances Andy played very well even if a bit ragged at times.  Jesus if that's how he's playing when he's hardly slept for 3 days, look out USO.  And other seeds were dropping like flies.  Just hope the knee  is ok though it didn't sound like a real problem from his interview.  It was lovely seeing him look and sound so relaxed in the interview.  It does seem a shame he can't bask in the enjoyment of his medals and has to focus on the matter in hand now.
Yes Ruthie, this kick-off in Toronto has really sorted the men from the boys! We'll see how Djolovic does later on.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #196 on: August 08, 2012, 10:40 PM »

Hi All,

I missed the cake! Did they show it on Sky? My carer was here at the wrong time! What a great thing to do for him, lovely.

Andy said he hasn't had much sleep since Sunday, bless him. He looks like he could do with some. He still looks elated though, so happy! Did he say something about a bit of tendonitis in his knee? You be careful my lovely, I don't want you hurting yourself.

I was glad he got through in straights. Cipolla was becoming awkward in the second, cheeky boy. He obviously didn't read the part of the script that said easy first set, total capitulation in the second. Good on Cipolla for fighting though, but I was glad Andy got through, even if he looked knackered.

To my mind Andy just really needs some sleep. I think it's stupid that this tournament was compulsory, what with what happened at the French there was probably no way he would cite an injury he doesn't have, but if he ends up getting one......Actually let's not go there.

So it will be Raonic tomorrow. I'm going to practice saying "It doesn't matter, it doesn't matter", just in case. The trouble is that as Andy is playing I want him to win. But another part of me wants him to have a rest and some sleep.

I can't get over Andy today though. That light in his eyes is still there, he just looks so happy!

Bloody Berdych managed to win. He annoys me!

Andy go to bed!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #197 on: August 08, 2012, 10:50 PM »

Teejay: I'll put some photos on the Murray pictures thread for you.  It was a lovely cake.
IP Logged
Jayel
Junior

IT JUST GETS BETTER

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #198 on: August 08, 2012, 10:59 PM »

Raonic and Berdych.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!You know they should be afraid of Andy's serve  .... but they do worry me.OK Andy orrabest orratime. Does anyone else remember Parliamo Glesca?
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #199 on: August 08, 2012, 11:06 PM »

Teejay: I'll put some photos on the Murray pictures thread for you.  It was a lovely cake.

Thanks. I did see the pics on here. I should have rewound the Sky+ box, but didn't think of it until I'd turned the TV off. Silly me lol.
IP Logged
scotsgeek28
Futures Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #200 on: August 08, 2012, 11:07 PM »

I didn't watch the second set, what was the problem with Andy's knee when he needed the trainer?  I assume just a bit of tiredness and sore from the surface change.

Love to see him win the tournament here, but that may be a challenge given recent efforts.  Should be the night match tomorrow v Raonic which should suit him as he loves the matches under the lights!
IP Logged
hugoagogo69
Satellite Level

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #201 on: August 09, 2012, 12:49 AM »

Just finished watchin it

First set was easy peasey, just too good. The second set if i am being over critical, he made hard work of most of his service games, had opportunities to get in the locker room much earlier & his first service ended at 52% but i think we can afford the new Olympic champion a break!!!
The much improved forehand was again evident as well as his second serve which has come on no end plus he was able to dig deep when he needed.
A nice touch at the end of the match, Cipolla congratulating Andy On his Olympics heroics!! Then the cake which was a magic touch. The sky sports presenter seemed to think it was the real Gold medal. Great interview with Andy, still on cloud nine, and Mr Lendl wub Well done Andy, but keep focus, that was then, U.S in a few weeks so lets move on!!
I think he should pull out now, have a nice rest then Cinci will give perfect prep for the U.S. yay
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #202 on: August 09, 2012, 04:35 AM »

Called for the trainer now at the break.
Is it serious?
Just been reading through the posts because I missed the match.

The poblem could have been the knee that has the bipartite patella, i.e. the bones that make up the knee-cap aren't properly fused together, thereby leaving part of the tendon behind the knee-cap exposed, which is why it can become inflamed from time to time.  Can't remember if it's his right or left one though.  Anyway Andy says it does give him trouble if he suddenly has to change surfaces, which he's had to do here, and playing a lot of tennis can cause it to flare up too.  Fortunately the problem is well managed by his team and Andy will have had the knee packed with ice after the match.

I still think the ATP showed a great deal of stupidity by not making the Rogers Cup non-obligatory this year.  The top players are either going to get knocked out early or they'll tank.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #203 on: August 09, 2012, 06:20 AM »

Didn't see the match but glad he played in the end because giving him that cake was such a nice gesture Smile
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #204 on: August 09, 2012, 10:38 AM »

Hi Aileen and all,

It was the knee with the bipartite patella. To be fair Andy didn't seem over anxious about it. I think some of us were because it's so unusual to see him get the trainer out. Still, he's entitled to do it, and it is right to do it if he feels uncomfortable. If he does get through Raonic he might be okay physically (if he can get some sleep!), once he's got used to the surface change. It's hard to remember really that they've played an extended grass court season.

I think there's no doubt he's there to play and try to win. Andy has never struck me as a 'make up the numbers' type. That said, if today goes wrong against Raonic it would give him a break before Cincy, and maybe a few days to absorb his success. He looks on such a high still. He seems calmer, more relaxed, more at ease with himself now. I think it's wonderful. Even the interview didn't seem to be an ordeal for him, not that I heard all of it.

It's funny how the commentators were talking about what Andy has done. Petchey sounds delighted but also cautious. I forget what it was yesterday, but something he said made me think he is wary of people putting Andy under too much pressure to perform at the USO, to back up the Olympics success. Peter Fleming seemed delighted and enthused about what could come for Andy now.

I'm sure Lendl's right to keep Andy's feet on the ground. Then again, I take a lot of heart as well from the way Andy played against Cipolla. It seemed hard going for Andy at times, the heat, lack of sleep, etc, yet he came out and played, took the match to Cipolla, when he really could have just gone out and tanked it. His first serve percentage was low, but that was the only area you could pick as a potential problem. Then again, he was able to get it in when he needed to, so it's a plus that he is responding to pressure, just as he did at Wimbledon, and the Olympics.

The thing that gave me encouragement as well was the way Andy dealt with the lesser player, if that doesn't sound rude. Andy didn't let up, didn't revert to being passive. Sure, he had a patch where it was clear that getting off the court asap might be a good plan, but he got through it. In the past Andy has got so caught up with playing cat and mouse with opponents, especially the much lower ranked players, it has made matches longer than they've needed to be. Now, that going out right from the off and putting his foot on the opponents neck seems to be becoming more second nature. I think it's such a good sign.

I really do think that whatever happens today there are good signs that Andy is continuing in the right direction.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #205 on: August 09, 2012, 10:51 AM »

Andy himself said that the knee was just a problem of moving so quickly on to hard court.  He didn't seem worried.  Usually he'd have had time to adjust before playing a match,  And the comms keep saying he does need to be careful as when muscles are tired you're more prone to injury. So another reason for not being too downcast if he goes out tonight.   

Yes Andy made harder work than necessary of the 2nd set but this was a man who was practically playing in his sleep he must have been so tired even if adrenalin is still keeping him going.  So I definitely think he can be excused and like tj says he didn't revert to passive tennis.  Now given he must have been practically on auto pilot that is hugely encouraging because it suggests he is now playing more aggressive tennis more instinctively.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R2: Murray vs Cipolla « Reply #206 on: August 09, 2012, 02:54 PM »

I put a video of Andy cutting his cake and taking a bite on the video thread.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »