Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions, please
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Gulbis in 2
Gulbs in 3

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 32 Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis

(Read 6323 times)
dex
Futures Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 11:02 PM »

What was the score?
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 11:04 PM »

Can anyone explain to me why Mr M qualified to play doubles with Colin Flemming? I can appreciate that Flemming/Marray didn't have sufficient points as a team to enter, but Mr M must have even fewer doubles points. I am very confused.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 11:09 PM »

The Tradesman will lose a set here, Gulbis is improving and always goes all out vs the top players.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 11:24 PM »

What was the score?

1-6, 6-4 , 10-6

Can anyone explain to me why Mr M qualified to play doubles with Colin Flemming? I can appreciate that Flemming/Marray didn't have sufficient points as a team to enter, but Mr M must have even fewer doubles points. I am very confused.

Not 100% sure but although Andy doesn't play much doubles he is quite sucessful when he does and as it tends to be in higher rated tournies than Marray can get into he may well now be higher ranked than him as Marrays Wimbledon points will have come off. Also think there (? or I dreamt this)is some arrangement to let high ranked singles players into draw to raise profile (should they ask) - Rafa is also in the dubs this week and don't imagine he can have too high a ranking either.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 11:32 PM »

Gulbis to take out the trash for Murray. Poor boy beats Rich boy in 2 easy sets.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 12:00 AM »

Andy and Colin just won there doubles match well done to them both
Especially as their opponents are fresh from winning the doubles in Washington.

Hopefully this match will have really sharpened Andy up for his meeting with Gulbis who, when he puts his mind to it, can be a tricky opponent.  This was Nadal's comment though after his narrow escape against him in IW -

“If you hit as hard as you can and hit every ball at 216 or 220 [kph] and that means being the best player, then perhaps he was the best player ..... For me, the best player [tries to] find solutions against the other player. When I served for the second set and I lost and also in the third, I still was fighting and I found solutions, so the best player won.”

However, Andy will need to find his serve today because weak serves will almost certainly be punished.  Also I'd like to see more aces and fewer DFs.  I think Andy will do it, but probably in 3.
[ Last edit by Aileen August 08, 2013, 12:04 AM ] IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 01:41 AM »

This match is on 2nd tomorrow after Nadal vs Janowicz so roughly 7pm uk time 2pm local time
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 01:43 AM »

^ Thanks Gnome.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 02:05 AM »

This match is on 2nd tomorrow after Nadal vs Janowicz so roughly 7pm uk time 2pm local time

Nadal game was 72 minutes in total and the score was 6-2 6-0, so expecting a long match tomorrow (today).  Whatever, expect this to be on when I'm about to go to work Rolling Eyes

cmonandy

Pictures taken from images I found of them from Top Spin and Virtua Tennis Whistle

Congrats to Andy and Colin on their doubles win today clap

* Murray vs Gulbis.JPG (136.92 KB, 843x1014 - viewed 66 times.)
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 02:33 AM »

lmao  Where did you get those pics from Bev?
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 02:46 AM »

What on earth are the schedulers doing?  Andy's doubles match is 3rd on Court 9, i.e. around 9pm!!  At best he won't have any time before the match (and players are allowed a break of up to 1 hour), but more likely he could still be playing this match. confused
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 02:54 AM »

What on earth are the schedulers doing?  Andy's doubles match is 3rd on Court 9, i.e. around 9pm!!  At best he won't have any time before the match (and players are allowed a break of up to 1 hour), but more likely he could still be playing this match. confused

Why are you complaining?

Doubles matches are always scheduled this way - after suitable rest.

Think about it. A player doesn't want to be waiting around hours after their singles match, to play doubles. They want to play whilst muscles are still loose and they are in the zone.

On another note i cannot watch this match properly if it is bang on 7pm because i am taking a survey which gets me 30£ amazon voicher.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 03:36 AM »

Why are you complaining?

Doubles matches are always scheduled this way - after suitable rest.

Think about it. A player doesn't want to be waiting around hours after their singles match, to play doubles. They want to play whilst muscles are still loose and they are in the zone.

On another note i cannot watch this match properly if it is bang on 7pm because i am taking a survey which gets me 30£ amazon voicher.
I'm well aware of that PE - but my point is that the doubles are coming right on top of the singles, which could just possibly still be ongoing when the doubles are due to start, so of course whatever happens Andy will need his break.  That being the case why schedule the doubles for the time they have?

Good luck with the survey!  I think Nadal will see JJ off fairly quickly, but I could be wrong. 
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 07:38 AM »

Good for Andy and Colin.  When I checked score they were being thrashed in the first set so me of little faith had already counted them out. 
Re finding his serve Aileen: the strange thing was that even though he had only one ace and far too many dfs the overall percentage was 77 per cent for much of the match.  I'm not sure what the final percentage was.   Does anyone know?
I certainly think this could be a very tricky match.  Gulbis has the weapons; it's just that he hasn't always had the application.  As Andy himself said, he'll have to play better than yesterday.  But at times he played brilliantly yesterday.  He just needs to cut out so many ues and as he said himself find his timing.  It's fortunate he wasn't up against Gulbis first.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 08:31 AM »

Gulbis is a great player.  He can steamroll any player.   Andy will have to play a lot better.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 32 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »