Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions, please
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Gulbis in 2
Gulbs in 3

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 32 Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis

(Read 6605 times)
michelle
Seed

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 09:11 AM »

:
I'm well aware of that PE - but my point is that the doubles are coming right on top of the singles, which could just possibly still be ongoing when the doubles are due to start, so of course whatever happens Andy will need his break.  That being the case why schedule the doubles for the time they have?

Good luck with the survey!  I think Nadal will see JJ off fairly quickly, but I could be wrong. 
Nadal has his doubles match after his singles, and Andy's doubles is after Nadals' so they are both in the same boat. I don't think much of the scheduling, Nole seems to be having the best of it, while Nadal and Andy both have the heat of the day. shocking
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 09:13 AM »

I think Andy will be better today. The conditions were tricky yesterday, which contributed to some of Andy's UE's. He never double faults like that, so I'm sure the conditions, and the nerves from it being his first match back after a month, were a factor.

Andy started well yesterday, we shouldn't forget that. He also played some great stuff through the match. What I do think he did was drop his focus at times, maybe allowed Granollers back, to a point. I think Andy will be much better in that regard today. Judging by Andy's ability to find his game when he needed it yesterday, I don't think his best is far away. The thing that really impressed me was that Andy didn't get wound up with himself when things got tough yesterday. He just got on with sorting it. It helps.

All being well Andy will show Gulbis how 'boring' a top player really is. It might go to three, but I think Andy will come through.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 09:45 AM »

: Nadal has his doubles match after his singles, and Andy's doubles is after Nadals' so they are both in the same boat. I don't think much of the scheduling, Nole seems to be having the best of it, while Nadal and Andy both have the heat of the day. shocking
I was thinking that Aileen but then remembered that Nole isn't playing dubs and given the convention of putting the singles match before the dubs, it does point to putting Andy and Rafe on earlier and of course they want a prime slot for Raonic.
I agree with tj and others that it was pleasing that Andy didn't get angry when he went behind largely because of his own errors.  Lots of talking to himself yes but as Agassi said in his autobiography it gets lonely out there so tennis players do talk to themselves on court.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #33 on: August 08, 2013, 09:55 AM »

The scheduling is crazy. Murray needs to decide if he's going to be a singles player or a doubles It was okay in the past when he was climbing up the rankings but now he's nearly at the top, he needs to be single minded
IP Logged
snorkel.maiden
Junior

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #34 on: August 08, 2013, 10:02 AM »

The scheduling is crazy. Murray needs to decide if he's going to be a singles player or a doubles It was okay in the past when he was climbing up the rankings but now he's nearly at the top, he needs to be single minded

I think he is being single minded- the only reason he's playing dubs is for match practice to sharpen himself up for the singles, and next week, and the USO.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #35 on: August 08, 2013, 10:04 AM »

I think you will find that Andy didn't set out to play doubles, but as Marray and Fleming couldn't get in because they weren't ranked high enough, Colin went in search of Andy, found him on the practice court and asked if he would play doubles with him and they only had five minutes to register. So it was a case of helping out a friend. I don't expect Andy will play many doubles and never in a Slam.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #36 on: August 08, 2013, 10:46 AM »

: Nadal has his doubles match after his singles, and Andy's doubles is after Nadals' so they are both in the same boat. I don't think much of the scheduling, Nole seems to be having the best of it, while Nadal and Andy both have the heat of the day. shocking
I think scheduling the doubles matches for not long after the singles matches is better for the players, but could pose problems for the ticket-holders who might have to hang around. 
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #37 on: August 08, 2013, 10:53 AM »

Murray is practising with Janowicz today. Nice to see the two get along after Wimbledon SF, shows what happens on court, stays on court. I suspect Andy wanted to practice with a player like JJ as he has a similar game to Gulbis, big serve, big groundies and erratic.
IP Logged
benniebone
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #38 on: August 08, 2013, 01:02 PM »

I think you will find that Andy didn't set out to play doubles, but as Marray and Fleming couldn't get in because they weren't ranked high enough, Colin went in search of Andy, found him on the practice court and asked if he would play doubles with him and they only had five minutes to register. So it was a case of helping out a friend. I don't expect Andy will play many doubles and never in a Slam.

Exactly my point. Is there room for friendship at this level? Andy should be chasing points during the rest of this tournament and starting to reduce the distance between him and Djokovic that is if he wants to be no 1,  By the time he finishes this tournament he'll be too tired to tackle Cincinatti next week which is another opportunity for him to gain points
 Remember he has 2000 points to cover in the US Open
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #39 on: August 08, 2013, 01:09 PM »

^ Don't agree.  Andy's loyalty to his friends is yet another reason why I love him.
Don't expect any of the top players will be bothered one way or another at Cincy. Already rumours Rafa won't play. It's too close to the main event to risk injury, apart from anything else.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #40 on: August 08, 2013, 01:31 PM »

^ Don't agree.  Andy's loyalty to his friends is yet another reason why I love him.
Don't expect any of the top players will be bothered one way or another at Cincy. Already rumours Rafa won't play. It's too close to the main event to risk injury, apart from anything else.

Here, here. Two tiebreak sets and a champions tiebreak won't do him any harm, and I think the odd bit of doubles helps his game. Look at how the mixed doubles at the Olympics really helped him with the Gold Medal match, particularly with going into the net.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #41 on: August 08, 2013, 01:38 PM »

Andy and Colin just won there doubles match well done to them both
I didnt get to follow that match, so I'm very pleased Caroline.  Thanks for the info.
Smile
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #42 on: August 08, 2013, 01:41 PM »

Thanks to Bev for H2H, takes the  originality prize for images Very Happy

Andy i 2 sets, for me.... no change there then. Agree with Gangsta !
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #43 on: August 08, 2013, 02:22 PM »

The reason Noval is getting night matches and Rafa and Andy are not is because they are playing doubles, schedulers have to arrange single matches before doubles. well at least i believe so.

IP Logged
ChrisMac
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Gulbis « Reply #44 on: August 08, 2013, 02:37 PM »

My First Day Cover stamps just arrived!  yay yay
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 32 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »