Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions, please ...
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Raonic in 2
Raonic in 3

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic

(Read 5897 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « on: August 09, 2012, 01:05 AM »

Having survived his first match without too much trouble despite jetlag, lack of sleep and suddenly having to adjust to a different surface, Andy now faces a much tougher opponent in the form of the highly ambitious, powerful serving, 21-year-old Canadian Milos Raonic who defeated him earlier this year on the red dirt of Barcelona.  The question has to be - will Andy now have enough left in the tank to redress that defeat this time round, given that Milos has said that hard courts are his favourite surface and also that he'll be playing in front of a home crowd?

The Murray spirit may be willing, but he has somehow to neutralise Raonic's bullet serve (not easy) and raise his own service game considerably if he is to have a decent chance of winning this match.
Good luck, Andy.  cmon yeah

IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 01:11 AM »

An evening match - not before 7 local time, midnight UK time
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 01:15 AM »

Thanks Elena.  Hopefully it will be 7 pm sharp as I see the preceding doubles match could be switched to another court.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 01:57 AM »

There is 60% chance of rain starting at 7pm right when Andy is supposed to play. I was so sure he was going to play the afternoon match again. Not sure what to do anymore.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 03:57 AM »

Thanks for the info about the weather.  Maybe the rain will either not come or it'll hold off until the match is over.  We can but hope ...
IP Logged
janetx
Challenger Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 04:30 AM »

I think Andy can manage no problem versus Milos - he's on a roll and he's always handled big servers with aplomb.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:24 AM »

Don't care how he does...still on cloud 9 tender But think he needs some proper rest. It's the big one  a-coming.
 yay yay yay
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Will give this one a miss given the timing.  I think we have to accept it's quite possible Andy will go out because his body has to give up at some point and this could be the point if Raonic puts him under real pressure, which I'm sure he will.  So much as I'd like to see Andy put down a marker by beating Raonic I don't think we should read anything into it, if he doesn't do so here. And it could be a blessing in disguise, giving him time for some gentle practice with Mr L before Cinci and allowing him to recover from last week and the flight.
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 08:35 AM »

I'm sure Andy will put in a good effort tonight but even he's mindful of going into USO fresh, and the knee twinge will be a reminder of the possible effect of changing surfaces.  Ideally I'd like him to win tonight and lose to Isner.  Then he'll have 4 or 5 days before playing Cinci.  Qtrs in Toronto would be a fantastic effort
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 09:02 AM »

Andy had this to say about Raonic:
"It will be tough. He'll obviously be very motivated playing in his own country," said Murray. "He's improved a lot over the last year, year and a half. He's playing really, really good tennis. Very big guy with a big game. Serves well and hits the ball very hard." (ATP)

He also remarked on the change of conditions that the ball is playing very quick compared to Wimbledon and bounces much higher, whilst conversly the court is much slower.

Obviously its very challenging to make sudden adjustments coupled with tiredness as well. I'm sitting on the fence wtih predictions, it can go either way. Raonic will certainly be a lot fresher, fully adjusted to conditions and has the home advantage. However, I'll go with Andy in 3, otherwise it may well be Raonic in 2.
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 09:38 AM »

Raonic has one asset - his serve. If that breaks down he has nothing else in his tank.

Players of his ilk are boring to watch.
IP Logged
Ivelina

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 09:50 AM »

I also hope that Andy's participation at R cup ends soon so that he can prepare better for the real thing aka US Open.Plus a lesser player like Raonic will benefit from winning the title.I'm determined that if Milos gets past Murray,he'll be the champion here.
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 10:03 AM »

I don't think I will be up for this one.. lol   Good luck muzz Smile  I wont be bothered if he loses.  Still in disbelief at the gold medal win Very Happy
IP Logged
Mackem
Futures Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 10:23 AM »

Yeah, I'm not staying up for it - 12 midnight in UK.  I'll Sky+ it and watch in morning and maybe use the fast forward a lot if I don't like what I'm seeing.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 10:57 AM »

I won't even sky+ because not enough space left on my hard disk until I've deleted Sunday's all day tennis and don't want to do that until I've had a chance to watch the whole match again.  But they cover the overnight matches the next afternoon at 2pm so will watch then if Andy wins - actually are they even showing it live on Sky as it doesn't say so in Radio Times.  I suppose it's possible they'll change the schedule to do so.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »