Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions, please ...
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Raonic in 2
Raonic in 3

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic

(Read 5522 times)
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #45 on: August 09, 2012, 04:30 PM »

Skybet have Andy has 15-8 ON. Raonic is 11-8 against.

Incidentally they also have Andy joint second favourite with Fed to win the US Open at 7-2. Joker is the favourite.

Surely he is still the favourite only because he's the defending champion.
he has failed to defend anything since the AO
Andy needs to go in there and take this tournament from him, no ifs or buts.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #46 on: August 09, 2012, 04:32 PM »

I think it's very doubtful any matches at all will be played today. It is pissing down here, and is forecast to rain the entire day. In fact, I don't know how they're going to handle the tournament because rain is forecast for the rest of the week with possible thunderstorms.
Glad I got there yesterday. Phew!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #47 on: August 09, 2012, 04:47 PM »

I watched an interview Andy last night with our Canadian commies. They were asking him his thoughts on Milos, and I found his answer quite revealing.
He said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he had a great future ahead of him if he continues to work hard, blah blah.. but then he said that Canada might not see another player of his calibre for a very long time, and that we should appreciate him and that would help him to be a better player.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #48 on: August 09, 2012, 04:53 PM »

I watched an interview Andy last night with our Canadian commies. They were asking him his thoughts on Milos, and I found his answer quite revealing.
He said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that he had a great future ahead of him if he continues to work hard, blah blah.. but then he said that Canada might not see another player of his calibre for a very long time, and that we should appreciate him and that would help him to be a better player.

lol And who would know that better than Andy Murray?
Particularly now his relationship with Britain has seemingly turned around for the best. He's been through it all.
Glad about the rain, if he gets a days rest i want him to put Raonic in his place and go for it. I expect another win against Novak too to start levelling up that head to head.
IP Logged
deb
Seed

I'd like to be impartial, but I can't!

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #49 on: August 09, 2012, 04:54 PM »

I think it's very doubtful any matches at all will be played today. It is pissing down here, and is forecast to rain the entire day. In fact, I don't know how they're going to handle the tournament because rain is forecast for the rest of the week with possible thunderstorms.
Glad I got there yesterday. Phew!
That's good for Andy more rest, glad you saw him yesterday.   yay
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #50 on: August 09, 2012, 04:54 PM »

Yes that's our humble Andy, can you imagine Frauderer saying that?  And I also think that that last sentence comes from experience.  I bet that Andy has not always felt appreciated as a tennis player.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #51 on: August 09, 2012, 05:01 PM »

What a nice thing for Andy to say especially about someone he is about to play and who has beaten him the only time they've met before.  The rain is surely good news for Andy though it does mean he can't get any practice in on hard courts - perhaps there are some indoor courts at least available?  But I just hope he's had a really good night's sleep and gets another one tonight.  He can't keep going on adrenalin for ever.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 05:14 PM »

I don't think there will be much in play until Saturday. It's already terrible right now and it's supposed to get worse tomorrow. This though will give Andy plenty chance to totally sink in after Olympics and then recover from it. He really needs to a lot of rest. He seemed completely disinterested towards the end of the match yesterday and a break is badly needed.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 05:17 PM »

lol And who would know that better than Andy Murray?
Particularly now his relationship with Britain has seemingly turned around for the best. He's been through it all.
Glad about the rain, if he gets a days rest i want him to put Raonic in his place and go for it. I expect another win against Novak too to start levelling up that head to head.

Raonic is very much appreciated here in Canada. I have yet to come across any bad writing about him. It’s all praise all the time and then some more. He doesn't go through what Andy goes through every day or at least used to. Night and day difference if you ask me.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 05:27 PM »

Raonic is very much appreciated here in Canada. I have yet to come across any bad writing about him. It’s all praise all the time and then some more. He doesn't go through what Andy goes through every day or at least used to. Night and day difference if you ask me.

Its the british disease unfortunately EJ. Very self defeating.
But he has definitely turned a corner since Wimbledon & the olympics and it will help him & he knows it as judged by his comments.
What doesn't kill you can make you stronger & hopefully Andy will appreciate the love he will get more after taking the gold against federer last weekend.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #55 on: August 09, 2012, 05:38 PM »

Its the british disease unfortunately EJ. Very self defeating.
But he has definitely turned a corner since Wimbledon & the olympics and it will help him & he knows it as judged by his comments.
What doesn't kill you can make you stronger & hopefully Andy will appreciate the love he will get more after taking the gold against federer last weekend.

He has, yes since Wimbledon. Who knew really but it was so much needed. Andy appreciates the love so much and was longing for it for such a long time, and now, there's no doubt in his mind that the British public love him. This must have lifted his spirit in a massive way. He's a Brit first and for that reason, he needed to be appreciated on all accounts. Now, I believe he can go and play freely and play for his country if he feels he's in a rut. Only good things can come from this, really.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean August 09, 2012, 05:47 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 05:45 PM »

Surely he is still the favourite only because he's the defending champion.he has failed to defend anything since the AO
Andy needs to go in there and take this tournament from him, no ifs or buts.

Yes, I'd think so though his performance against Tomic was rather good. The first few games were tight but once Nole broke him, there's no turning back and he looked might comfortable and lifted after the win. It was a tricky first round match for him after all. Like Andy, he too has a tough road to the final. Even though a few top players aren't playing, the field doesn’t look any less strong surprisingly I'd say.  

But anyway, Nole's real danger doesn’t really lie in the earlier rounds but later. He'll have trouble against both Federer and Murray, as they both now have the mental edge over him and this surface suits them both perfectly well, so he's not alone there in the top favourite list. He’s only one of them. We can never count Nadal out either though this is his least favourite surface. Nonetheless, he ought to be hungry as well.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean August 09, 2012, 06:09 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 05:55 PM »

Great interview.  Andy is clearly still on cloud 9 and a bit spaced-out from jetlag and lack of sleep. Smile

Hmm actually are we over-egging this tiredeness thing a bit? Andy had a 3 (or was it 2?) week break after wimbledon. He then played what was basically a Masters tournament with no long matches. He had a few days rest before yesterdays match. Why should he be tired?
TMH has already answered the last part of your post, so I will only add that Andy had just five days rest after Wimbledon before he started training again.  Add that to everything else, and you wonder why he's tired?  He's probably functioning mainly on adrenaline right now.

I don't think there will be much in play until Saturday. It's already terrible right now and it's supposed to get worse tomorrow. This though will give Andy plenty chance to totally sink in after Olympics and then recover from it. He really needs to a lot of rest. He seemed completely disinterested towards the end of the match yesterday and a break is badly needed.
I feel sorry for you Canadians, but thank goodness for the rain.  Hate to think what it'll do to the tournament schedule if it continues, but at least this will force Andy to have a break, although probably not much rest with Mr L around.  It's a weird feeling when you're feeling pumped up with elation because the adrenline is still running whilst your brain and your body are telling you they've had enough.  He needs time to let this settle.

The problem is though that Cincinnati starts next week.  It's going to be counter-productive if Andy continues in Toronto and manages to pick up a few ranking points, then bombs in Cincy where he has a title to defend - but then it's possible ranking points aren't uppermost in his mind right now, and he did get 750 from winning the Olympics.

IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 06:02 PM »

I feel sorry for you Canadians, but thank goodness for the rain.  Hate to think what it'll do to the tournament schedule if it continues, but at least this will force Andy to have a break, although probably not much rest with Mr L around.  It's a weird feeling when you're feeling pumped up with elation because the adrenline is still running whilst your brain and your body are telling you they've had enough.  He needs time to let this settle.

The problem is though that Cincinnati starts next week.  It's going to be counter-productive if Andy continues in Toronto and manages to pick up a few ranking points, then bombs in Cincy where he has a title to defend - but then it's possible ranking points aren't uppermost in his mind right now, and he did get 750 from winning the Olympics.

Part of me is crying nonstop (didn't get much sleep last night, mind you. Was too excited like a 3 year old lol) because it's more than likely that I probably won't get to see my beloved and part of me is very happy that he's getting the much needed rest in the meantime. If he gets two days rest (today and tomorrow), then I think he'll be ready to compete for the title. In that case, I suggest he skips Cincy altogether.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 06:05 PM »

Leif Sharif said earlier this pm that he thought Andy has more talent than Nole and Nadal in the sense of better tennis and hand skills.  I've always felt that too and am just hoping that finally Andy will have the self belief to let those skills win him the GS title(s) he deserves.  In the meantime I hope he's getting plenty of rest while rain is preventing play outside.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »