Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Your predictions, please ...
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Raonic in 2
Raonic in 3

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Down Reply
Author

Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic

(Read 6717 times)
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #135 on: August 10, 2012, 09:51 PM »

Thanks.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #136 on: August 10, 2012, 10:12 PM »

Nole has just won
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #137 on: August 10, 2012, 10:23 PM »

its all a bit lack luster isn't it?  The fans don't seem that too enthusiastic  by it all.  I don't blame tbh.  Players and fans  are getting frustrated by the rain delays plus,   lots of players are not playing at  their best,  plus there have been some withdrawals.  Its a mess.  Cincy is going to be affected by it as well.  Lots of players withdrawing from that tournie as well. Mainly Spanish and Russian.
   The Olympics has had a knock on affect on these tournaments.  Its a shame really.  I feel for the fans and the organisers.
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #138 on: August 10, 2012, 11:18 PM »

its all a bit lack luster isn't it?  The fans don't seem that too enthusiastic  by it all.  I don't blame tbh.  Players and fans  are getting frustrated by the rain delays plus,   lots of players are not playing at  their best,  plus there have been some withdrawals.  Its a mess.  Cincy is going to be affected by it as well.  Lots of players withdrawing from that tournie as well. Mainly Spanish and Russian.
   The Olympics has had a knock on affect on these tournaments.  Its a shame really.  I feel for the fans and the organisers.
I was shocked to see so many injuries both men and women, if this is the result of Wimbeldon and the Olympics then it was poor planning. I know it cant be easy, but the olympics comes around every 4 years so it's not exactly a surprise.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #139 on: August 11, 2012, 01:07 AM »

I was shocked to see so many injuries both men and women, if this is the result of Wimbeldon and the Olympics then it was poor planning. I know it cant be easy, but the olympics comes around every 4 years so it's not exactly a surprise.
It confirms my view that the Rogers Cup should have been non-obligatory this year.  The ATP and WTA have had plenty of time to think about this, so no excuse.  It seems to me that there has been no consideration whatsoever on their part for the players - although I'm a bit surprised the players didn't complain about it themselves.
IP Logged
MT
Futures Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #140 on: August 11, 2012, 01:37 AM »

Djoko played right through Wimblers and the Olympics. Why is he not feeling it in his knees? I think Andy should have played for all the organisers and the fans as its the right thing to do and when these big tennis stars pull out all the time they are letting everyone down and damaging the game as a spectator sport.  I also think the fact he was playing doubles and playing every day at the Olympics suited Andy and helped him to stay fit and play aggressively with confidence.  Whistle
IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

I'm crazy about Murray

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #141 on: August 11, 2012, 09:39 AM »

It confirms my view that the Rogers Cup should have been non-obligatory this year.  The ATP and WTA have had plenty of time to think about this, so no excuse.  It seems to me that there has been no consideration whatsoever on their part for the players - although I'm a bit surprised the players didn't complain about it themselves.
They probably know it's futile to complain as the players representative, a certain RF, would not support them in petitioning for change. Nadal quit his role as there was clearly no solidarity at the top.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #142 on: August 11, 2012, 12:22 PM »

Raonic lost to Isner last night 7-6 6-4

SF line up is Djoko v Tipsy, Gasquet v Isner.

They had to play two rounds yesterday, with a rain delay during the first lot of matches, so some players (eg Djoko) had to come out three times.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #143 on: August 11, 2012, 12:35 PM »

Well done to Djoko - he must be exhausted but looks odds on to win here now.  I wonder if he will play Cinci.
IP Logged
Philip
Seed

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #144 on: August 11, 2012, 12:44 PM »

I think it is natural that there are many withdrawals at Toronto and Cincy this year.  Preparing and playing at the Olympic (Singles & in some cases Doubles) takes a lot out of people physically and mentally.  Fed's 3rd set 19-17 in the SF must have drained him enormously as he was not as sharp in the final, failing to take advantage of any of his 9 BP chances.

It is definitely bad to make Toronto a mandatory this year. The body needs time to a) recuperate b) adjust to new time zone c) adjust to the hard court surface.   Without sufficient time to adjust, it is almost guaranteed to lead to injuries / loss.  Andy did well to only tweak a left knee.  Hopefully he will be fine comes Cincy.  

I wonder why Andy didn't do a Fed and get a Doctor's note citing exhaustion after the Gold/Silver win.

I can imagine Andy's conversation with the Doctor going something along the line :

Dr.    : many congratulations Andy on the fantastic win over Federer. You really showed him who is the boss now.
Andy : Thanks Doctor. I had a great time. I wonder if you can give me a note citing exhaustion for Toronto please. I have to do media service Monday and flying out on Tuesday gives me less than 1 day to recuperate and get ready for the next match.  It is crazy schedule.
Dr.    : sure Andy. No problem. Now which part of the body do you feel aching ?
Andy    : well, everywhere really. Now there is my back that I have to keep clutching, and there are my bipartite knees, and ...
Dr.   : enough. Get on the X-ray machine please Andy and I will include it in your report.
Andy   : Thanks Dr.
Dr.    : Here is your report.  By the way, can I ask for your signature here for my niece. She is one of your fans.
Andy  : of course. Anything for my fans.

lol
[ Last edit by Philip August 11, 2012, 12:55 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #145 on: August 11, 2012, 03:49 PM »

Raonic lost to Isner last night 7-6 6-4

SF line up is Djoko v Tipsy, Gasquet v Isner.

They had to play two rounds yesterday, with a rain delay during the first lot of matches, so some players (eg Djoko) had to come out three times.

Last night I stayed in to watch this match. It was such an interesting match up for me. I wanted to see how Raonic fares against a player like Isner. The crowd was so pro Raonic that they even cheered when Isner double faulted a couple of times and missed his first each time and were also awfully quiet when Isner won a point. This continued until the end of the match basically. While I really enjoyed the fact that so many people turned up that late a night, I did not enjoy their selective reactions to both players.

Now on to the match, it was a great match actually and I thoroughly enjoyed it (so wish I was there). Raonic was so nervous and missed some really given shots. It was interesting to see this though, because you could almost bet your life, had he been up against Andy where the pressure would have been mostly on Andy, Raonic would have thrived on the situation and would have been on fire. But when he was put against a player like Isner, he crumbled like a cheap cookie. To be honest, I felt very sorry for Raonic and sometimes, for the crowd as well.

Apart from keeping the ball everywhere but in the court, what frustrated Raonic most was Isner's return game. He was reading and returning Raonic serve awfully well and Raonic did not expect that. You could see how clueless he was each time the ball came back to him and that put a lot of pressure on Raonic's serve. Another thing Isner did great was that he played the big points really better and was serving bombs at times.

Anyway, judging by their match just last night, one could easily tell that Isner still has a bit more variety than Raonic and can be a bit more versatile when needed. And Raonic was probably the only player who did not have to play two matches on the same day and still came up rather short in the end. If Raonic wants bigger success than this, he will have to sort out players like Isner, but he's slightly lucky I'd say, because there aren't as many players like Isner in this era so he'll probably see more success anyway.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #146 on: August 11, 2012, 03:54 PM »

I did not see Nole's match much which was happening at the same time apart from a few games in the 2nd set where Haas was 4-1 up. Haas is probably playing some of his best tennis this year. Anyway. I was into the other match so much that didn't get to see what Nole was doing wrong or how he was playing overall. He shouldn't have pushed things to the final set, but still, I don't see anyone else taking the title here other than Nole.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #147 on: August 11, 2012, 05:42 PM »

I think it is natural that there are many withdrawals at Toronto and Cincy this year.  Preparing and playing at the Olympic (Singles & in some cases Doubles) takes a lot out of people physically and mentally.  Fed's 3rd set 19-17 in the SF must have drained him enormously as he was not as sharp in the final, failing to take advantage of any of his 9 BP chances.

It is definitely bad to make Toronto a mandatory this year. The body needs time to a) recuperate b) adjust to new time zone c) adjust to the hard court surface.   Without sufficient time to adjust, it is almost guaranteed to lead to injuries / loss.  Andy did well to only tweak a left knee.  Hopefully he will be fine comes Cincy. 

I wonder why Andy didn't do a Fed and get a Doctor's note citing exhaustion after the Gold/Silver win.

I can imagine Andy's conversation with the Doctor going something along the line :

Dr.    : many congratulations Andy on the fantastic win over Federer. You really showed him who is the boss now.
Andy : Thanks Doctor. I had a great time. I wonder if you can give me a note citing exhaustion for Toronto please. I have to do media service Monday and flying out on Tuesday gives me less than 1 day to recuperate and get ready for the next match.  It is crazy schedule.
Dr.    : sure Andy. No problem. Now which part of the body do you feel aching ?
Andy    : well, everywhere really. Now there is my back that I have to keep clutching, and there are my bipartite knees, and ...
Dr.   : enough. Get on the X-ray machine please Andy and I will include it in your report.
Andy   : Thanks Dr.
Dr.    : Here is your report.  By the way, can I ask for your signature here for my niece. She is one of your fans.
Andy  : of course. Anything for my fans.

lol
Good one Philip! Very Happy
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #148 on: August 11, 2012, 06:09 PM »

I did not see Nole's match much which was happening at the same time apart from a few games in the 2nd set where Haas was 4-1 up. Haas is probably playing some of his best tennis this year. Anyway. I was into the other match so much that didn't get to see what Nole was doing wrong or how he was playing overall. He shouldn't have pushed things to the final set, but still, I don't see anyone else taking the title here other than Nole.
Haas' comeback has been incredible. He's 33 and could feasibly be back in the top 20 by the year end, having only been playing the ATP events since, what, the clay season? One can only wonder where he would be now if not for his injury problems.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rogers Cup R3: Murray vs Raonic « Reply #149 on: August 11, 2012, 06:26 PM »

Haas' comeback has been incredible. He's 33 and could feasibly be back in the top 20 by the year end, having only been playing the ATP events since, what, the clay season? One can only wonder where he would be now if not for his injury problems.
What happened to that other great comeback kid, Brian Baker?  Don't recall hearing anything about him after he got to the QF at Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 [10] 11 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »