Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who will win?
Andy Murray in 2 sets - 24 (75%)
Andy Murray in 3 sets - 7 (21.9%)
Marcel Granollers in 2 sets - 0 (0%)
Marcel Granollers in 3 sets - 0 (0%)
The match is cancelled due to the clay court exploding due to too much watering. - 1 (3.1%)
Total Voters: 32

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 37 Go Down Reply
Author

Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers

(Read 10956 times)
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #435 on: May 15, 2013, 05:27 PM »

I have just come in to see these upsettting news, made even worse by all the stupid comments.  Yahoo have headlined 'Bizarre retirement for Andy.  What exactly is bizarre about an injurwed player,  who has only retired once before  There are also suggestions that he tanked it.  I give up with my countrymen and their attitude to sport except those on here.  I had been suspicious of an injury and it does seem to be clay that brings it on.  Just hope that it is not too serious and he does not need an op.  This is such a shame just when he has worked so hard to reach No.2.  He may be being careful with regards to RG and does not want to say too much.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #436 on: May 15, 2013, 05:28 PM »

I'm not a sports athlete, but I am fairly active and had back surgery over a year ago (caused by doing too much in the first place.)

My back is fantastic now and I can do all the things I used to. I recovered very quickly because I was already fit.

I really hope his injury isn't bad enough to warrant surgery, but I just wanted to share it's gave me my normal life back.

Most athletes carry injuries of some sort.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #437 on: May 15, 2013, 05:28 PM »

Definitely not!

OI! Big ego.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #438 on: May 15, 2013, 05:29 PM »

I think Andy reaction was that's a bit dramatic.

He's probably very upset right now. Not thinking straight. The booing on his birthday is a low blow no doubt.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #439 on: May 15, 2013, 05:33 PM »

As much as it pains me to say this, I think Andy should skip Roland Garros. There's no chance in hell he's winning it, and apart from ranking points he will neither gain nor lose anything if he doesn't enter. His pride will still be in tact and it gives him an extra bit of recovery time + training prep to plan his assault on Queens and Wimbledon. We all know he plays much better Tennis on grass, and he doesn't seem uncomfortable on the surface either.

Rest in Piece Clayray, it's been a short, painful journey. In June, you will rise once more, but this time as GRASSRAY!
IP Logged
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #440 on: May 15, 2013, 05:34 PM »

“I pulled out because there was a good chance I wouldn’t be playing tomorrow even if I was able to get through,” Murray said. “I might have to wait and see on Paris. But I’d be very surprised if I was playing in Paris.

“I have an issue with my lower back that I will try and get sorted in the coming weeks,” Murray added. “But it’s been an issue for a while now. I want to make sure it goes away and doesn’t become something that I’m playing with for a long, long time. It’s not enjoyable when you’re playing in pain, all the players will tell you that.”

“I think the shots that hurt get exaggerated more on clay,” Murray said. “When it’s a back issue, rotation tends to be the problem. And on the clay the ball comes through a lot slower, so to generate power you have to rotate more.

“Also the ball bounces higher and there’s less stability with your movement so all those things combined don’t really help.”  

“When you have the injections, they can help a bit with the pain and take some of the inflammation away,” Murray said. “But that also didn’t make me feel 100 per cent and I want to feel 100 per cent.

“I’ll speak to the guys tonight and chat with the physio and come up with a plan for the next few days. I’ll make a decision on Paris after the next five days I would have thought. I’ll obviously need to take some days off and see how it settles down. But a few days didn’t really make a difference this time so we’ll have to wait and see.”
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #441 on: May 15, 2013, 05:39 PM »

I really hope the talk of back surgery is speculation rather than fact. It seems to be based on Andy's reaction to the question being put to him. I don't know how to interpet that, so I'm not going to try.

The thing that worries me is that Andy has had this issue with his back for some time now. I don't wish to be dramatic, the situation is bad enough without me adding to it, but chronic injuries have stopped players before. Lendl had to stop due to a back problem. If Andy was to need surgery - actually I'm not even going to think about it.

I would just like to give Andy a cuddle at the moment. He must feel rotten. I am just glad Judy is there today, I spotted her during the match, and Leon Smith too. I hope they, and the rest of the team, give Andy lots of support. I'm sure they will. Oh, and I wouldn't normally condone violence, but when they next meet, if Jez Green would like to forget himself and punch Barry Cowan on the nose I will be the first to volunteer to vouch for him. I bet Jez could and Barry Cowan deserves it, hateful man.
IP Logged
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #442 on: May 15, 2013, 05:40 PM »

Federer has a similar complaint in his lower back which he is able to manage somehow, remember at the french last year Andy was in a lot of pain but still managed to make a go at Wimbledon getting to the final, so let's not panic just yet with all this talk of surgery etc, i'm not even sure surgery would be required anyway, lower back pain can mean a lot of things, if it's his disks than that will need sorting out.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #443 on: May 15, 2013, 05:41 PM »

Jez and Matt guys--- you need to work your magic! Make sure Andy recovers properly.

So i'm wondering how long this injury dates back. I wonder if he overtrained in Miami training block b/w AO and Indian Wells, or if he did it in Miami F vs Ferrer.

He has definately been injured all clay season, i think thats what he was reffering to last week when he said 'its impossible to play like this'. Andy made zero excuses for all his losses on clay when he has clearly been struggling for some time, Get well and restup Andy xx
IP Logged
Moozza

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #444 on: May 15, 2013, 05:42 PM »

Think people are maybe jumping the gun a bit on the whole surgery thing. I mean all we have is a tweet which says he was asked about it and 'squirmed'. That could mean anything.

He seemed to have a very similar problem on clay last year and then come the grass season he seemed fine and was back to his best. It is maybe just that his back problem is harder to manage on clay.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #445 on: May 15, 2013, 05:42 PM »

Think people are maybe jumping the gun a bit on the whole surgery thing. I mean all we have is a tweet which says he was asked about it and 'squirmed'. That could mean anything.

He seemed to have a very similar problem on clay last year and then come the grass season he seemed fine and was back to his best. It is maybe just that his back problem is harder to manage on clay.

LAD
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #446 on: May 15, 2013, 05:44 PM »

As much as it pains me to say this, I think Andy should skip Roland Garros. There's no chance in hell he's winning it, and apart from ranking points he will neither gain nor lose anything if he doesn't enter. His pride will still be in tact and it gives him an extra bit of recovery time + training prep to plan his assault on Queens and Wimbledon. We all know he plays much better Tennis on grass, and he doesn't seem uncomfortable on the surface either.

Rest in Piece Clayray, it's been a short, painful journey. In June, you will rise once more, but this time as GRASSRAY!

Good posting!
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #447 on: May 15, 2013, 05:53 PM »

I agree. Best thing is to wait and see what happens in the end.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #448 on: May 15, 2013, 05:58 PM »

Dissapointing day, thing is we can spend 99 pages surmising about Andy's back injury, plain truth is we know nothing, only thing we know is that he will do the right thing as guided by his team, remember he has the best medical services at his disposal.  RG is the least enjoyable slam, it's just boring, comes down to "ball bashing, brute power".  If he is advised to miss it then so be it, could live with that.  Hope he is going to be fit for Wimbledon cos that's a tournament that allows craft, flair and beautiful tennis.
Sensational headlines in the paper, at the end of the day they are interpreting his post match interview, the guy is gutted, worried and scared he's not going to be upbeat!!
He has a great team of experts and a loving and supportive family around him to help him, he will do the right thing......

Oh and by the way Barry Cowan you are a complete and utter **** end!!  You won one title in your whole career and that was a doubles title so you can only claim half the credit, you have never experienced the pressures of playing at the top end of the sport or being the 2nd best player in the world so why don't you shut that awful mouth of yours.

So gutted for Andy, hope he can get himself sorted out not for RG but Wimbledon.......  farewell to the disgusting dirt worst time of the tennis season.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rome 2013 R2: Andy Murray / Marcel Granollers « Reply #449 on: May 15, 2013, 05:59 PM »

Thanks laundry @ 5.34.

Andy has sort of answered the question why he started as well as why he stopped. Sounds like he was hoping a few days rest and treatment would work (and maybe asked for a late start?). He gave it a go today, but realised he wouldn't be able to play again tomorrow.

I suspect that his cry of "impossible to play like this, impossible" the other night is all to do with this. (Just seen Rachie says same)

RG seems fairly unimportant really. I want him to feel 100%

Sounds like not having Sky is a good thing today.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 [30] 31 32 33 ... 37 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »