Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please - and if anyone can't make up their mind there's an option for that too!
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Gasquet in 2
Gasquet in 3
Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author Topic: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet  (Read 5811 times)
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #555 on: May 17, 2012, 06:42 PM »

Perhaps people's expectations were too high? I didn't expect him to win this, or even get past Ferrer so honestly I'm not in the least bothered by this loss.
But to reiterate, if your backs not right, your serve is the first thing to go. Ask Fed.
How can anyone on here possibly know how Andy was feeling physically anyway?
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #556 on: May 17, 2012, 06:46 PM »

I'm sorry but that performance was just unacceptable. losing to Gasquet. :O  he hasn't made it past the QF stage of the clay season.  Your are allowed to be negative if your a fan of someone.  I not even sure he will make it past the 3rd round of RG.  Not looking forward to RG at all.  The grass season may be better but I wouldn't get our hopes up.  Lendl hasn't done anything
positive to Andy  NOTHING

IP Logged
craighateslife
Challenger Level

Gotta eat Protein

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #557 on: May 17, 2012, 06:46 PM »

Perhaps people's expectations were too high? I didn't expect him to win this, or even get past Ferrer so honestly I'm not in the least bothered by this loss.
But to reiterate, if your backs not right, your serve is the first thing to go. Ask Fed.
How can anyone on here possibly know how Andy was feeling physically anyway?

You're so right cmon yeah

I know when Andy is moving well and today he was not moving well.

This is not an excuse as I feel the FO and Wimbledon my become a bust because of his back. People need to realize this could F#ck up the whole season.
IP Logged
drchef
Challenger Level

"Corey, Trevor.....Smokes, let's go!"

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #558 on: May 17, 2012, 06:59 PM »

Ruthie, I think your points are directed at me, so please say this in your posts to avoid any ambiguity. Given that this is a Murray "fan" site, I find it astonishing that you think I and others are gleeful when Murray looses.

Please do not confuse disappointment, disillusionment and frustration with someone who is actively on here to annoy you.

IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #559 on: May 17, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Well I'm very disappointed. His having to take the first step to a tiebreaker was just a step above Tim henmann not being able to close out a match. Let's see what has Lendl done for Andy ?  He's clean shaven, nice hair and calmed him down on court. He has not helped his serve, or anything else. I believe Andy was a better player before Lendl. He needs a coach who will show him how to serve consistently better, create it as a weapon!  I know you diehard fans want to give Andy excuses.....he's coming back from an injury, Rome wasn't built in a day and so on, but till Andy serves better and becomes more consistent, I don't think he has a chance for a slam. He's a great guy and has tons of potential, but like a diamond in the rough, he needs that special someone to make him shine. I suppose this makes me a non fan to some of you, but the truth is, I'm a caring fan who wants the best for Andy.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

I know I'm paranoid. But am I paranoid enough?

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #560 on: May 17, 2012, 07:01 PM »

Berdych or Tsonga would have to win both Rome and RG to take over from Andy, its not going to happen

Yes, but he can get much closer. Say Berdych made the semis or final at RG and Andy lost in an early round, you'd be looking at a 1500-pt swing.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #561 on: May 17, 2012, 07:02 PM »

You're so right cmon yeah

I know when Andy is moving well and today he was not moving well.

This is not an excuse as I feel the FO and Wimbledon my become a bust because of his back. People need to realize this could F#ck up the whole season.

If I am right I hope he skips RG altogether. Frown
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #562 on: May 17, 2012, 07:04 PM »

No shame in losing to Gasquet. Clay happens to be his best surface - 2 titles and 5 finals and a former top 10 player. Andy still has the most significant wins over him to take comfort in the loss.

Having said that, I didn’t get to see the match unfortunately (back to back meetings), but one thing for sure, everyone’s bound to raise their level come RG.

Andy has so far done well in Brisbane, AO, Dubai and Miami. Clay season has been so far a bit below average. A better performance at RG might lift up things but it’s still not essential.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #563 on: May 17, 2012, 07:05 PM »

I quite agree, Lendl has done nothing positive, Andy's game is worse, what is going on.

I cannot see him being at the O2 this year the way things are going.
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #564 on: May 17, 2012, 07:05 PM »

I think he should have skipped the entire clay season.
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #565 on: May 17, 2012, 07:06 PM »

Ruthie, I think your points are directed at me, so please say this in your posts to avoid any ambiguity. Given that this is a Murray "fan" site, I find it astonishing that you think I and others are gleeful when Murray looses.

Please do not confuse disappointment, disillusionment and frustration with someone who is actively on here to annoy you.

No not you in particular drfchec and I'm not certainly so self-centred as to think that people post comments in order to annoy me.  But there are certainly some people who get much more enthusiastic with their criticisms of Andy than with their applause when he is doing well. And indeed your point re it being a fan site is exactly the point I was making about partisanship.  But I sometimes have my doubts as to how far everyone who posts on it is genuinely a fan - and to repeat: I'm not saying noone can be critical, just to avoid all doubt. 
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #566 on: May 17, 2012, 07:07 PM »

I think he should have skipped the entire clay season.

Oh very good, April Fool, not so foolish now clap
IP Logged
Grabcopy
Top Seed

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #567 on: May 17, 2012, 07:09 PM »

Peter Bodo - not a fan of either player:

As it sometimes turns out in pro tennis, this time the wrong guy had the second-set letdown.

Andy Murray, the No. 4 seed in this Rome Masters, easily rolled through a first-set tiebreaker against Richard Gasquet (7-1), after which we were entitled to think the fragile Frenchman would quietly go away, with something like a minor moral victory that left him at no great risk of over-exertion.

But Gasquet, a semifinalist at this event last year, had other plans—and those were greatly abetted by his surly, discontented, potty-mouthed opponent. Gasquet's comeback was prefigured by the way Murray had failed to serve out the first set when he had the chance, and as the second got underway, the entire house of cards began to tumble. The next thing you know, it was a set apiece—and Gasquet would go on to win it, 6-7 (1), 6-3, 6-2.

So let's cut right to the chase, a.k.a. set three, which began after a lengthy changeover during which the music blaring out of the loudspeakers around the court was not merely "electric," it was downright freaky. That set a nice stage for Murray to lapse into his self-abusing and grumpy worst—a human, Adidas-wearing version of Edvard Munch's famous expressionist painting, The Scream.

Murray complained about the shadows mottling the court, while cursing a blue streak and casting vicious glances at the ATP supervisors and umpire sitting nearby. You could hardly blame Murray, although if he thought it was hard to see the ball on court, he ought to have tried watching from my living room, where it was downright impossible.

Murray took no comfort from the fact that Gasquet started the final set with a prodigous double fault. Gasquet appeared to double fault again after leveling at 15-all, but he challenged the call and chair umpire Carlos Bernardes upheld the challenge. Then Murray challenged the overturned challenge. It was just one of the many times that he dragged Bernardes out of the chair, sometimes seemingly just for the hell of it.

(I can see where that might be fun for a player; let me write Serena Williams a note suggesting that she contemplate doing the same should she ever find Eva Asderaki officiating one of her clay-court matches.)

With Bernardes hopping in and out of his chair, Gasquet's serves sending up puffs of smoke (it was the only way for Murray, and us, to tell where they landed), Murray kvetching, that first game finally was resolved in Gasquet's favor. Whereupon an infant in the stands began wailing, and the television audience could hear Bernardes ask, through his open mike, "We lost one ball?"

In other words, it was good stuff—if you like a good old-fashioned mess.

The next game was hardly better, but Murray held. The third game was a masterpiece—the game that ought to be shown if forcing someone to watch tennis ever noses out waterboarding as the preferred form of torture. It started innocently enough, with Gasquet racing out to a 40-o lead. Then he made three errors to allow Murray to deuce. This began a back-and-forth sequence that featured six deuces and three break points. I don't know which was worse—Murray's inability to convert critical deuce and break points, or Gasquet's repeated failure to win two points in a row from deuce. Let's call it a toss-up.

The key thing, though, is that Gasquet held the game. And given how easy it is to get under Murray's skin, holding that game might have been just as valuable to Gasquet as a service break of his own. Although Murray followed with an easy hold for 2-2, his game was running away from him, going downhill.

Gasquet scored the key break after he held for 3-2. With Murray serving at 15-30, Gasquet played a very smart, conservative point—yes, I just used "smart" and "Gasquet" in the same sentence! It was one of the longest points of the match; Gasquet played it carefully but aggressively, and it ended when Murray smacked an on-the-run backhand error.

I thought his head was going to explode.

Although Murray wiped away the first break point with a nice forehand, he made yet another backhand error (it was his Achilles heel on the day) to go down, 2-4.

The rest was academic, and it ended fittingly—with Gasquet flying around the court, acrobatically tagging backhand overheads and feathering drop shots (why do I think this guy ought to have been a ballet dancer?). By the end, the clock was tickling the three-hour mark (it fell under a minute short), both men were covered in clay-dust that had turned black from perspiration, and Murray slowly shuffled off the court in what looked like ski boots (his sneaks plus those attractive ankle braces), his head hanging low.

Stat of the match: Murray was a preposterous 2 of 17 on break points, but Gasquet ought not be the one to point an accusatory finger. He was 6 of 16. And that gives you a pretty good idea of the kind of match it was.

IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #568 on: May 17, 2012, 07:12 PM »

Actually if he'd not done so well last year on clay, I don't think we'd all have been so disappointed with this year's performance.  If bbh and  chl are right about the back ,I just hope that it isn't the kind of back problem that is going to ruin the grass court season as well as RG as feared.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #569 on: May 17, 2012, 07:26 PM »

The two were dead locked on points at 2 all 96 all in the final set. Though Andy couldn't manage to break Gasquet which probably was the longest game of the match, he held his next service game quite nicely, but only to give up in the final serving game, where he was serving to stay in the match. That's what I saw judging by the scoreboard I was following. So if Andy was playing truly horribly then Gasquet should have taken the match in straight sets. It still came down to only a few points. Total points won Gasquest 118 vs Andy 110 – only 10 points or 4% difference.  
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »