Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Andrey Kuznetsov, Saturday, Estimated time - 5:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please - and if anyone can't make up their mind there's an option for that too!
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Gasquet in 2
Gasquet in 3
Undecided

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet

(Read 6956 times)
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « on: May 16, 2012, 07:00 PM »

For the time, see top of thread.  Follows a women's singles and Ferrer vs Simon.

H2H is 3-2 to Murray.  They've met once before on clay - in R1 of the FO 2010, where Murray came from 2 sets down to win the match.

Gasquet's one clay-court title since 2010 was in Nice that year when he narrlowly defeated Verdasco in 3.  Runner-up in Gstaad the same year and in Estoril this year.

[ Last edit by Aileen May 17, 2012, 02:25 AM ] IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06 PM »

Another tough looking match this one although the bookies don't think so.  Skybet have Andy 3/1 ON with Gasquet 9-4 against.
IP Logged
janscribe
Veteran

Let's Go!!!

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 07:07 PM »

Many thanks Aileen. Will it be another roller coaster, a slick 'I'm in command' performance or a very damp squib. Who knows but I will be watching - it's compulsive!
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 07:13 PM »

It could be tough, but not as tough as Nalbandian - depending on which Andy turns up!  However, he should have gained a lot of confidence after Tuesday's win and has had the benefit of a day to recover, so hopefully it'll be Mr Magic.  But ... nervous 
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 07:33 PM »

Those watching today's practice session were not very encouraging - tweeted that there were lots of stops, lots of back clutching and balls missed all over the court - doesn't sound great.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Relax All is good!

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #5 on: May 16, 2012, 07:47 PM »

Supertennis arena, third match after 11 AM Rome time
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #6 on: May 16, 2012, 07:59 PM »

Those watching today's practice session were not very encouraging - tweeted that there were lots of stops, lots of back clutching and balls missed all over the court - doesn't sound great.
So where can I see those tweets?
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #7 on: May 16, 2012, 08:14 PM »

As every good scientist knows, observing is one thing, interpreting may be quite another. nah
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #8 on: May 16, 2012, 08:21 PM »

Gasquet beat Federer last year in Rome at this very stage - he's a dangerous opponent when he plays aggressively. His backhand can create some amazing winners. In the last few years though he's been content to play his tennis miles behind the baseline - hope this version of Gasquet turns up tomorrow!
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #9 on: May 16, 2012, 08:29 PM »

Truth be told, I think Andy will be a loser tomorrow
He,s not in form..... **** the clay....grass is the way.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #10 on: May 16, 2012, 09:58 PM »

I just hope he hasn't messed up his back again.  He did hold it at one point in the 3rd against Nalbandian after stretching for a ball, and the comms noticed it too.  If he has, then prepare for a withdrawal.  On the other hand he could just be stiff after that match, given it was his first for over two weeks.
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 10:10 PM »

The only way Andy will win tomorrow is that Richard blows a Gasquet .
IP Logged
OldScotSupport
ATP Level

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11 AM »

These days Andy tends to hold his back whenever he feels frustrated and loses a point, which he knows he should have won. This new habit is considerably better than his previous manner of cursing, swearing and throwing a wobbly.

I don't believe that he is in any discomfort with his back. Therefore, Andy to win but a tough match nevertheless.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 12:53 AM »

No wobbles, but he got two warnings for audible obscenities in the Nalbandian match.  Mind you Nalby was having a bit of a rant towards the end, and I don't think he was saying "Oh dearie me" in Spanish!  Sad that the umpires always pick on Andy because most of them won't have a clue what foreign players are saying.  My cousin understands Spanish and says that Verdasco can turn the air blue but gets away with it.  Andy really should find or make up a harmless word that he can use to give vent to his feelings.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 01:05 AM »

Aye.. ..
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/murray-claims-players-who-swear-in-english-fall-foul-of-authorities-7758032.html
'Andy Murray admits that he should not swear so much on court but believes that as an English speaker he is punished more than many other players. The world No 4 was given an official warning for a verbal obscenity during his opening victory over David Nalbandian in the Rome Masters at Foro Italico on Tuesday but says his opponent got away with much more because he was speaking in Spanish.'

IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »