Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please - and if anyone can't make up their mind there's an option for that too!
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Gasquet in 2
Gasquet in 3
Undecided

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet

(Read 8370 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 01:34 AM »

Watched Andy/Nalby on tape today.
Great respect for David Nalbandian.. played an exceptional match, but great to see Andy able to dig for the win.
I wondered if Nalby saw himself in Andy... with youth on his side.

Assuming Andy's back is ok..I'm not worried about Gasquet.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 01:43 AM »

Aye.. ..
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/tennis/murray-claims-players-who-swear-in-english-fall-foul-of-authorities-7758032.html
'Andy Murray admits that he should not swear so much on court but believes that as an English speaker he is punished more than many other players. The world No 4 was given an official warning for a verbal obscenity during his opening victory over David Nalbandian in the Rome Masters at Foro Italico on Tuesday but says his opponent got away with much more because he was speaking in Spanish.'

Not surprised Andy feels miffed when he understood what Nalbandian was saying.  Unusually for ESPN, the British commentator felt obliged to apologise "to those who understood it".  Thank goodness Robbie Koenig and the American comms aren't so squeamish!  Federer certainly has a point when he says -  "You shouldn't maybe do it, but who cares? Sometimes it's to yourself and who cares? It happens."  As Andy says, it must be so easy to forget where you are because you're so immersed in the game. Obvious solution, Andy - swear in Spanish!

IP Logged
mcenroeforever
Satellite Level

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 02:11 AM »

After the thrilling match with Nalbandian this is another one to look forward to against another great shot maker..Gasquet is having a decent season and Andy will have to be near his very best to get through. Another similarity with the previous round against Nalbandian is that having his serve broken against Gasquet isn't a huge disaster (like it is against Raonic, Berdych etc) and this takes the pressure off Andy's own service games a bit as Andy is well capable of breaking Gasquet once or twice per set..
If Andy can reproduce the form he showed from 1-3 down in the 3rd set yesterday then he will be in the quarters..C'MON ANDY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged
IonaRed
Challenger Level

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 02:23 AM »

Not surprised Andy feels miffed when he understood what Nalbandian was saying.  Unusually for ESPN, the British commentator felt obliged to apologise "to those who understood it".  Thank goodness Robbie Koenig and the American comms aren't so squeamish!  Federer certainly has a point when he says -  "You shouldn't maybe do it, but who cares? Sometimes it's to yourself and who cares? It happens."  As Andy says, it must be so easy to forget where you are because you're so immersed in the game. Obvious solution, Andy - swear in Spanish!

I've just read an article on tennis.com about the swearing.
http://www.tennis.com/articles/templates/news.aspx?articleid=17674&zoneid=25

I agree with Andy that he does get punished because he swears in English.  My sister speaks quite a few languages and she said the Spanish and French players swear quite a bit.  By all accounts so do the Serbian players - Novak included.

I think Andy has managed to cut out the swearing for the most part. I don't think him learning a few swear words in another language would be a good idea.  Then not only would he be swearing but it would look like he was trying to get away with it by using another language.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 02:28 AM »

H2H stats below.

Richard has a great backhand but I can't stop looking at him strangely - he sometimes wears clothes that give the impression that he's short but he's 6'1" confused lol

Anyhow, highlights of their last meeting on clay Very Happy

* Murray vs Gasquet.JPG (98.83 KB, 658x801 - viewed 77 times.)
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 02:33 AM »

I do feel for Andy regarding the swearing.  The thing is, the umpires can quite clearly speak other languages, so why are they not picking those others up on their swearing? dontknow
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 02:34 AM »

Thanks for the H2H, etc, Bev. Smile  Great pics as usual.  Hope we see more of Gasquet's expression today!
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 02:35 AM »

I actually liked the Andy picture, so had to use it and luckily I had some to choose from for Richard.

Andy could do with a good moisturiser though - all the time in the sun is drying his skin out lol

I should also add that an early start for me yawn
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 03:37 AM »

Those watching today's practice session were not very encouraging - tweeted that there were lots of stops, lots of back clutching and balls missed all over the court - doesn't sound great.
Who were these people, Alis?  I can't find anything on Twitter, only Neil Harman around 7.30 pm BST saying which court Andy would be playing on.  If there had been a problem I think he might have known about it ... wouldn't he? nervous
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 04:15 AM »

Truth be told, I think Andy will be a loser tomorrow
He,s not in form..... f**k the clay....grass is the way.
Robbie, why don't you take your quote to the Gasquet board, why be a downer to this one?
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 04:23 AM »

Oh well, another match I won't see, hopefully atp/wta is working on my phone so I can get the scores.  Andy had to be sore yesterday and maybe today from his long match and also from not being to match tough.

Well good luck Andy, maybe they will show your match on Tennis Channel and I will be able to see it after work.  Let your racquet do the talking and may you win the match in two.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 04:39 AM »

Interestingly, 3 people so far have predicted a Gasquet win ... Think

In the circumstances it's probably as well Andy had a day off yesterday.  Let's hope his physio will have performed his wizardry and eased some of the inevitable stiffness, because Andy's movement round the court is crucial.  If he doesn't move well, he doesn't play well.  I think we could see a slow start by Andy with Gasquet possibly taking the first set.  Could be yet another nail-biter for us fans.
IP Logged
jdonald
Satellite Level

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 05:06 AM »

Why are you all so negative.?  Common A ndy you are going to win. Do not forget gasquet will be weary having played yesterday, Andy shiuld be refreshed.  He will win. he knows he has to as points will be lost.
IP Logged
adb..OH
Seed

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 05:33 AM »

Thanks, I voted the way I felt about it when I just logged on. Thumbs up along with Old Scot this time!

If the person who does not like exclamation marks is reading this. They do not mean the same as shouting.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 07:04 AM »

. The world No 4 was given an official warning for a verbal obscenity during his opening victory over David Nalbandian in the Rome Masters at Foro Italico on Tuesday

What did he say?
IP Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »