Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Matthias Bachinger, Thursday, Time TBA - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predictions please - and if anyone can't make up their mind there's an option for that too!
Murray in 2
Murray in 3
Gasquet in 2
Gasquet in 3
Undecided

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 Go Down Reply
Author

Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet

(Read 6887 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #615 on: May 18, 2012, 01:00 AM »

Left for the weekend to go where? Your post makes absolutely no sense. For one, I never said I was going off forum or out of town. In fact, just yesterday I said I'd like to see Andy this long weekend as I had taken an extra day off on top of our long weekend and wished he'd survive Gasquet today. Two, I have access to Internet no matter what part of Canada I am and can basically post from anywhere anytime I want. In fact, I was posting from the train through my phone on my way back home but then I lost connection temporarily and couldn’t post.  So do you yourself a favour and read me properly next time before you reply to my posts.

Also, I get that you have the luxury to stay home all day and watch tennis but some of us aren't as fortunate as we have to make a living here. But still, I've made two posts based on the match today without watching it and they are more accurate than all the stuff you've posted all day. Andy has taken a tough loss today and some of us are tying to stay positive about it despite the loss.

It's so luxurious to be home all day being unable to work due to illness. Rolling Eyes  I know you are aware of this because we've spoken about this before. I can dig up the posts if you like, so not quite sure why you're being aggressive towards me.
Thank goodness I was able to get my degree before working full-time for the past bleeping years, and continue to pay my taxes (UK and Canadian).
The silver lining is I get to follow Andy in all his glory. The good, the bad and the ugly.
And I keep my sense of humour.
I'm more than happy to explain anything you find difficult to understand.
Enjoy your weekend.
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #616 on: May 18, 2012, 02:53 AM »

Sorry, I didn't mean to be harsh with you but you got a bit personal with me and that was unnecessary. I am well aware of your illness, yes but it still is a privilege to be able to stay home and watch your favourite players. I pay extra money every month to see Andy and half the times Andy doesn't even make the weekends and the other half I am almost always at work. I tried very hard today to watch his match but it was just impossible, because I also had a lunch meeting. So obviously it hurts when someone says did you even see the match, when clearly it’s not so much that I didn’t want to but I just couldn’t. Never mind how frustrating it was.

And I honestly didn’t see how my extra long weekend had anything to do with what I was talking about. I am very open about healthy and constructive criticism and many are able to do it here, but sometimes it just goes over the top and some people are always very negative, but I don’t care for them.  I support Andy win or loss of course but when things are especially down, I want to support him even more. It’s extremely important to give this sort of support when someone struggles this much, so obviously some criticism, like we see sometimes after a loss, can make things far worse, especially on a day like this and when emotions are still running high. It also allows other non Murray fans to take a shot at him and make fun of him. 

Have a great weekend yourself.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #617 on: May 18, 2012, 03:02 AM »

Impressive apology.. much appreciated.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #618 on: May 18, 2012, 04:21 AM »

He has a back injury, obviously this is going to hamper his serve motion.  Hate this site after a loss it's so predictable.  He needs to get fully better for the grass court season.  I am an an Andy fan come hell or high water, this is hell  just now, head not in the right place, back injury hampering his movement which in turn destroys his gane, which then makes him surly.  I will stick with it, all these doubters saying that Berdych and Tsonga will overtake him, not if Andy can sort his back they won't, they have had opportunities before and not done it.  He will come good and I for one cannot wait to re-post some of these comments on here when that day comes.  I am gutted, but am more concerned that he can sort out his back injury, hope he makes the right decision re. RG if he needs to skip it he should!!

He should skip RG.  In fact if his back's that bad then he should have skipped this tournament, given how hard clay is on a player's body, because the way I see it he'll now be lucky to get to the end of the first week in RG, so it seems crazy to aggravate the problem further with Wimbledon AND the Olympics coming up.

As for the surliness - other players too have injury problems but don't carry on like a spoilt child.  He's 25 now, for goodness sake.  He should be mature enough to stop this behaviour no matter how rough he's feeling.

Sorry, but I've stopped making excuses for Andy.  He'll continue to get my support but with a lot fewer expectations.  It's easier that way.   

IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #619 on: May 18, 2012, 07:58 AM »

why don't you find me a post of yours where you said anything positive about Andy?

Err well try 3 posts back where I said he was the greatest British player ever.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #620 on: May 18, 2012, 11:58 AM »

Err well try 3 posts back where I said he was the greatest British player ever.

Dont be so patronising.
Anyway Fred Perry is clearly the best british player ever.
You seem so certain that, to you, the "greatest British player ever" can't win a single slam and never will.
This is according to you a "Fact".
Alrighty then!

btw Thats what makes you a mystic meg type character, your certainty.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme May 18, 2012, 12:03 PM ] IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #621 on: May 18, 2012, 12:17 PM »

The only things certain in life are death and taxes. Who knows what Andy will eventually achieve.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #622 on: May 18, 2012, 12:27 PM »

I read in the paper this morning that Andy has had this injury since December. Also heard him say during his match with Gasquet "I hate this game" so would I if I was playing with an injury.

If I were Andy I would say stuff it and retire from tennis. He has made enough money to do so and live in comfort. He would be free of all those nasty comments being made about him. Then UK would have no 1st class player and be moaning about him not playing tennis an longer. He can't win so why try to please everyone so please yourself Andy and not all those creeps.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #623 on: May 18, 2012, 04:33 PM »

He should skip RG.  In fact if his back's that bad then he should have skipped this tournament, given how hard clay is on a player's body, because the way I see it he'll now be lucky to get to the end of the first week in RG, so it seems crazy to aggravate the problem further with Wimbledon AND the Olympics coming up.

As for the surliness - other players too have injury problems but don't carry on like a spoilt child.  He's 25 now, for goodness sake.  He should be mature enough to stop this behaviour no matter how rough he's feeling.

Sorry, but I've stopped making excuses for Andy.  He'll continue to get my support but with a lot fewer expectations.  It's easier that way.   

I agree about the surliness Aileen. This is where Andy lets himself down and it's a shame as he's such a great guy off-court and not at all like his on-court persona. But when things aren't going well on court for whatever reason - opponent outplaying him, injury, conditions - he frequently turns negative. I don't mind the odd racquet smash or swearing episode, it's the way he turns all his anger on himself that I don't like to see. He's such a perfectionist but he's way too hard on himself when he makes errors.

You might be right about him skipping RG - if he's still got the injury by then (which I guess he will have) then it would definitely be sensible to skip it. He's not a contender to win the tournament anyway, whereas he is at Wimbledon and the Olympics. The nightmare scenario would be for him to play matches at RG, make his injury worse and then not be able to play or exit early at Wimbledon. It's just not worth the risk.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #624 on: May 18, 2012, 04:44 PM »

I agree about the surliness Aileen. This is where Andy lets himself down and it's a shame as he's such a great guy off-court and not at all like his on-court persona. But when things aren't going well on court for whatever reason - opponent outplaying him, injury, conditions - he frequently turns negative. I don't mind the odd racquet smash or swearing episode, it's the way he turns all his anger on himself that I don't like to see. He's such a perfectionist but he's way too hard on himself when he makes errors.

You might be right about him skipping RG - if he's still got the injury by then (which I guess he will have) then it would definitely be sensible to skip it. He's not a contender to win the tournament anyway, whereas he is at Wimbledon and the Olympics. The nightmare scenario would be for him to play matches at RG, make his injury worse and then not be able to play or exit early at Wimbledon. It's just not worth the risk.
That's what I find so disturbing.  Turning his anger in on himself is destructive psychologically.  McEnroe was famous for his on-court outbursts but at least he managed to channel his anger back into his game, so it actually benefited him.  Also Andy has to learn that perfection doesn't exist and that all players, even the very best, make mistakes, but that, of course, could be easier said than done.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #625 on: May 18, 2012, 09:07 PM »

I read in the paper this morning that Andy has had this injury since December.

But we never heard about this injury till recently. Certainly not when he almost beat Djokovic in Australia. Or when he won in Brisbane or reached the final in Miami.

In my opinion if it was serious, or if there was a danger playing would make it worse, Andy would be resting. He would not be playing any tournaments. Most of the top players have some ailment that they can play through. Nadal has his knees, the Joker his shoulder. So I am almost 100% certain Andy will play at Rolland Garros.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #626 on: May 19, 2012, 01:24 AM »

But we never heard about this injury till recently. Certainly not when he almost beat Djokovic in Australia. Or when he won in Brisbane or reached the final in Miami.

In my opinion if it was serious, or if there was a danger playing would make it worse, Andy would be resting. He would not be playing any tournaments. Most of the top players have some ailment that they can play through. Nadal has his knees, the Joker his shoulder. So I am almost 100% certain Andy will play at Rolland Garros.
I think Mike Dickson of the Daily Mail, always a very shrewd and fair tennis columnist, hit the nail on the head when he referred to "an indeterminate problem which apparently started last December but which until the clay-court season hasn't been much in evidence."

Dickson does go on to say that he doesn't deny there is a problem, and acknowledges that clay courts are hard on the body, but doesn't believe it to be serious or chronic, although he adds that, as AM has now turned 25, he may not be able to throw off niggles quite as quickly as he used to.  Well he does have a point, at least as far as sport  is concerned, but Djoko's the same age and Nadal a year older, yet they manage to keep going without making a fuss, and "old man" Federer simply takes a few more breaks than he used to.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #627 on: May 19, 2012, 06:25 AM »

Well, Nadal doesn't keep going regardless. His career has been plagued by injury and we have almost daily bulletins about the infamous knees. Nole had shoulder problem at Christmas.
Simon, Tsonga, Delpot, Haas, I could go on and on,  all have had injury problems that took them out of the game for months.
Fed is the exception that proves the rule and even he had had back problems.
Injuries both major and minor are part and parcel of being a professional player.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #628 on: May 19, 2012, 05:33 PM »

I was referring to niggles, not serious injuries.  Nadal's knees are wrecked.  And it was a torn muscle in his back that kept Djoko out after winning the USO.  And Andy was out for 3 months in 2007 with that wrist injury.
IP Logged
Alis
ATP Level

Re: Rome R3: Murray vs Gasquet « Reply #629 on: May 19, 2012, 05:54 PM »

Unfortunately, my fear is that what has niggled for 6 months may well develop into something far worse if Andy doesn't give himself time to recuperate properly.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 [42] 43 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »