Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 6 (27.3%)
Murray in 3. - 11 (50%)
Cilic in 2. - 3 (13.6%)
Cilic in 3. - 2 (9.1%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic

(Read 7036 times)
Connor
John McEnroe

Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « on: February 13, 2014, 10:42 PM »

Andy had to fight hard to win a topsy turvy encounter with an inspired little known Austrian called Dominic Thiem, winning 6-4 3-6 6-1, but he is safely through to the quarter finals with a few aches and pains. In the quarter-finals, he will play a complete contrast to Thiem, this time a well known opponent to the Murray camp, Croatian Marin Cilic, who disposed of 5th seed Tsonga in the last round. Cilic is in fine form at the moment, winning the Zagreb 250 last week beating Tommy Haas in the final. This encounter will be a step up for Cilic though, as Murray dominates their head to head 9-1, with their last meeting being at the Queens Club last year in the final, where Murray came from a set down to prevail in three.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55 AM »

Unless someone can work miracles on Andy's 'few aches and pains', and his back in particular, I can't realistically see him beating an in-form Cilic after that tough three-setter.  However, as always, a lot will depend on how each player performs on the night.

[ Last edit by Aileen February 14, 2014, 04:24 AM ] IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59 AM »

Unless someone can work miracles on Andy's 'few aches and pains', and his back in particular, I can't realistically see him beating an in-form Cilic after that tough three-setter.  However, as always, a lot will depend on how each player performs on the night.

The way I see it though, is that if even if he does lose this match, then at least he's had three matches he wasn't expecting to have, so that has to be a big plus for him.

If he can play 5 setters then he can play 3 setters.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 01:53 AM »

If he can play 5 setters then he can play 3 setters.
He was playing these matches in hot climates with a day's rest in between, something he hasn't had here.  The tournament might be an indoor one, but I understand the arena is quite cold.  Anyway I never said he WAS going to lose, but he will need to come out with all guns blazing, serve well and preferably get it done and dusted in straight sets.  At least he does know Cilic's game and so is in familiar territory.  And, for the avoidance of any doubt, I think this will be a close match whichever way it goes.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 02:23 AM »

No reason why Andy can't win tomorrow. Just needs to play at a higher level...which he obviously can.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 06:13 AM »

@rob92
For heavens sakes! Even the normally unsympathetic commies were saying back to back matches will be hard for Andy at this stage of his recovery Rolling Eyes
A bit more empathy would not go amiss.
IP Logged
Bevc
Murraymaniac

I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 07:59 AM »

Heart Happy Valentine's Day everyone! flowers

Can't tell you how nice it will be to watch some actual tennis - fecking distracting trying to work and watch livescores at the same time Whistle

Anyhow, H2H below.

Can you guess from what year? Tis easy!

* Murray vs Cilic.jpg (255.42 KB, 733x1100 - viewed 26 times.)
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 08:06 AM »

Thanks for the H2H.  I had never realised Cilic was younger than Andy.  For some reason, I assumed he was a couple of years older. Embarassed

He seems to be on a roll at the minute, and his re-invigorated form will only be enhanced by the knowledge that Andy's still not his best, and this could be a chance to get one back in the H2H.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 08:24 AM »

Andy knows his opponent and what he has to do, a wounded lion is very dangerous! If Andy has got over last nights match physically,mentally he will be very strong having found a way to beat Dominic despite not playing his best throughout the match and getting back to match fitness, I feel that he will be able to overcome Cilic.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 08:39 AM »

^ I agree Michelle. I think last night could end up being what Andy needed if he recovers physically and mentally.

Andy knows Cilic's game very well. He knows Cilic's flaws (brittle mentality for a start) and how to play on them. Providing Andy is physically and mentally all right I don't see why we won't see the usual sort of Andy/Cilic match, which is generally a tight couple of sets before Andy pulls the rug from under Cilic.

Andy in three and a nonplused Cilic wondering where it all went wrong, again.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:43 AM »

Andy to own his lapdog in 2 lol
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:02 AM »

Can't help but think this is Cilic's best opportunity to overcome his dreadful record against Andy and he'll know it.  I don't think we should expect too much of Andy.  Last night's match will probably have taken quite a lot out of him and if it's cold again, his back could well stiffen up again like it did last night.  So my expectations aren't high but would love to be proved wrong.  Even if he loses, it's all good match practice on the road back to full recovery.
IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:17 AM »

Looking at that photo of Andy in Bevc's welcome head to head I'm guessing 2007
 If I was betting money on tonights match versus Cilic I would back Cilic to win Not because he's a better player but because I feel Andy after last night  won't want to risk serious injury
  But as I'm not betting money I'll be supporting Andy all the way
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 09:28 AM »

bb I do hope you don't mean you'd not be supporting Andy had you put money on Cilic?   Whistle 
IP Logged
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 09:41 AM »

Cilic always does well against Andy until he lets him get in his head, when Andy tends to raise his level and Cilic seems to fold.
IP Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »