Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 6 (27.3%)
Murray in 3. - 11 (50%)
Cilic in 2. - 3 (13.6%)
Cilic in 3. - 2 (9.1%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic

(Read 7025 times)
The Gnome
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #300 on: February 15, 2014, 12:05 AM »

He needs to start dictating matches again, at the moment he is being made to run more than his opponent with only his sublime defensive skills keeping in him some points.

I know he is trying to get his form back, and he probably appreciates knowing he can still chase down lost causes, but at the moment all that running is fatiguing him more than it obviously would if he was fully fit.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #301 on: February 15, 2014, 12:24 AM »

I'm concerned in the sense that I havent seen him in form since wimbledon. To me he looks fit but not match sharp enough to beat the top guys. It kinda highlights just how good a shape you have to be in to win the top tournaments.

Also...all the folks raving about Fed and his apparent 2nd coming during OZ need to put his win against Andy in perspective ...Andy wasnt anywhere near fitness and form and that is only reason he won...hence the whipping by Nadal in the next round.

Today Cilic looked good..nothing more or less...little different to what Ive seen from him in past. He looked shakey several times....just that today he faced a well below par Andy who just didnt take advantage like he does and would if 100%.There was no fight from Andy today...to me that suggests he was indifferent to the tournament in terms of winning it.

Hopefully the form and fitness combine to click for Andy by the time the French Open begins. He does need the points gained from that part of the season to seriously mount a challenge in the rankings and also for future seedings.

IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #302 on: February 15, 2014, 07:45 AM »

@ABF - he wasn't in form for most of last year except on the grass, where as I recall he did rather well. He has also played well in Croatia and the USA in the Davies Cup. I hated watching him for most of last year. He looked uncomfortable and in pain. I would far rather he lost a few matches than have to watch him playing like that. That back injury has been impeding him almost since I started watching him in 2011. We are lucky it hasn't caused him to retire like it did Lendl. For goodness sake give the lad time. He doesn't owe any of us anything. (I know your post is supportive). I just think folks are demanding too much of him too soon. It will come, but if perchance it doesn't well we have still had the joy of those ferocious aces he fired in the final game of the Olympic a Final, not too mention Wimbledon last year.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #303 on: February 15, 2014, 10:51 AM »

It's a shame Andy lost but not too surprising either. Returning to full match fitness after surgery is never easy - look how long it took Del Potro after his wrist surgery. Hopefully he'll keep on steadily improving each week.

Cilic has been playing well recently, and I guess after all the close losses he's had to Andy he was due a win - better it be here than at a slam.
IP Logged
dave_ladder
Junior

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #304 on: February 15, 2014, 10:55 AM »

It definitely takes some time to get back to your best after a layoff. I feel like Nadal's comeback last year has skewed our expectations a little bit - that was a freak recovery (if he was even injured in the first place, which is debatable).

When Nadal was injured in 2009, for instance, he came back and looked a bit like Murray does now - he was beating the mediocre players as you'd expect, but when he came up against top 10 or top 20 players he was losing out. It lasted about 5-6 months then he started winning again (and actually had one of his best years in 2010).

There's no point in reading long term trends into it until we get to at least Wimbledon in my view. If Andy is still struggling at Wimbledon then he's got a problem, but until then this is still part of the recovery period.

IP Logged
benniebone
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #305 on: February 15, 2014, 11:32 AM »

It seems that everyone is saying that Andy is match rusty I wonder if he should change his hitting partner if that is the case
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #306 on: February 15, 2014, 11:43 AM »

It seems that everyone is saying that Andy is match rusty I wonder if he should change his hitting partner if that is the case

What difference is that gonna make?  confused
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #307 on: February 15, 2014, 11:46 AM »

I think he hits regularly with a whole range of top guys in any case - but you're right, counts for very little away from tournament conditions
IP Logged
marathonarthur
Challenger Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #308 on: February 15, 2014, 12:50 PM »

I think some of you are hinting that he needs to be stretched a little more in his pre match hitting?  Gulbis and Thiem both seem to have made good progress since they did have worked together.  The problem would be who? Any suggestions?

A Gulbis v Cilic final would be entertaining and suit Andy for rankings. The Dutchman in there would make the final electric. Surprised he got  through quarters so expect it too much for him to go further. All I do not want to see is Berdych in there. To me he is the most boring player on the planet and with his behaviour and lack of personality and invention on court he is just not worth watching.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #309 on: February 15, 2014, 03:03 PM »

I think it comes down to what Martina Navratilova said about Andy at the AO. In my mind that still applies. Andy has a lot of variety in his game in comparison with a player like Nadal. With Nadal it's fairly simple, he will play certain shots all the time, so he doesn't need to make the sorts of decisions Andy has to. Andy has choices in his shot-making, but the issue is that when you are out for a time it takes a while to get back into making the right choices in the right moment.

Andy doesn't need to change what works, not in terms of coaches, hitting partners or whatever. He just needs to be patient with himself and keep going and it will click again.

Andy was injured for two years. In that time he's had to alter the way he plays to a point. Now he's injury free he has to adjust. He just needs time to trust his body, but he also needs matches so the natural instincts come back. What Andy should not do is make changes or panic, because if he does it will be a disaster.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #310 on: February 15, 2014, 03:17 PM »

^ The voice of intelligent common sense as always.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #311 on: February 15, 2014, 03:32 PM »

Andy did seem a bit stiff in the first set, but he seemed to shake it off in the second.  Some of the shots he returned had the comms drooling, particularly the ones  where they said that most players wouldn't even reach the ball let alone return it.

Apart from his outbursts of frustration, which didn't have the former effect of making him lose focus, Andy seemed a lot calmer than some of the folk on here.  I think we will need to be patient for a wee while yet, and spare a thought for how Andy must feel.

Totally agree with you Aileen. I'm afraid I don't bother reading the negative posts, and I know who to avoid.Andy will get there and then we'll have the positives again.
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #312 on: February 15, 2014, 03:34 PM »

I think it comes down to what Martina Navratilova said about Andy at the AO. In my mind that still applies. Andy has a lot of variety in his game in comparison with a player like Nadal. With Nadal it's fairly simple, he will play certain shots all the time, so he doesn't need to make the sorts of decisions Andy has to. Andy has choices in his shot-making, but the issue is that when you are out for a time it takes a while to get back into making the right choices in the right moment.

Andy doesn't need to change what works, not in terms of coaches, hitting partners or whatever. He just needs to be patient with himself and keep going and it will click again.

Andy was injured for two years. In that time he's had to alter the way he plays to a point. Now he's injury free he has to adjust. He just needs time to trust his body, but he also needs matches so the natural instincts come back. What Andy should not do is make changes or panic, because if he does it will be a disaster.
Good posting!
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #313 on: February 15, 2014, 03:59 PM »

Im not sure its such a good comparison vs Nadal. Rafa hasnt won his far superior major haul by accident. I think its fair to say he has displayed alot of variety to his play at times to win big matches.

That said, Andy is a very talented shot maker ...which makes him such an effective counter puncher. When on form he shows so much flair...which part of reason I am such a fan. The strange thing is Ive seen him play brilliant tennis and lose in the the past.. yet he has achieved his success playing 'clinical' tennis  rather than brilliant.

I think Andy and his team should focus on getting his basic game right ..build his own confidence back up...then try the plays he hasnt been able to do prior to surgery.

At the end of the day ..no back surgery is minor... especially for an athelete competing at the very top of their sport. Could be a long haul yet to reach his best tennis...
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #314 on: February 15, 2014, 04:38 PM »

At the end of the day ..no back surgery is minor... especially for an athelete competing at the very top of their sport.

A point the commentators did indeed make last night and we should all do well to remember! Rome wasn't built in a day.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »