Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 6 (27.3%)
Murray in 3. - 11 (50%)
Cilic in 2. - 3 (13.6%)
Cilic in 3. - 2 (9.1%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic

(Read 7113 times)
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #330 on: February 16, 2014, 05:16 PM »

Andy is 26 and is going to be 27 this year. His prime is now and the clock is ticking.

Precisely what do you suggest he does about it?
Miami is crucial to defend.

With the greatest of respect in what way is it crucial? Crucial to what exactly. If he can great, but the odds are that will be too early for him.

This year might well be a bit duff for him. Next year on the other hand.....

Whatever will be, will be. The unrelentingly important thing as far as I am concerned whatever happens from here on, is that that terrified little boy cowering under the desk with his brother whilst the carnage of Dunblane was going in around him won't ever consider himself a failure now. He has a place carved out in British Tennis history as well as on the Wimbledon Champions board. More would be great, but if it doesn't happen so be it.
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #331 on: February 16, 2014, 05:19 PM »

Precisely what do you suggest he does about it?
With the greatest of respect in what way is it crucial? Crucial to what exactly. If he can great, but the odds are that will be too early for him.

This year might well be a bit duff for him. Next year on the other hand.....

Whatever will be, will be. The unrelentingly important thing as far as I am concerned whatever happens from here on, is that that terrified little boy cowering under the desk with his brother whilst the carnage of Dunblane was going in around him won't ever consider himself a failure now. He has a place carved out in British Tennis history as well as on the Wimbledon Champions board. More would be great, but if it doesn't happen so be it.

It's 1000 points that could be crucial for the difference between No. 5/6/7 and say No. 10 in the rankings.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #332 on: February 16, 2014, 05:20 PM »

Well said Masaka some people on here forget he is a human being not a ROBOT. I get so fed up with people picking Andy to pieces give him time.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #333 on: February 16, 2014, 05:23 PM »

It's 1000 points that could be crucial for the difference between No. 5/6/7 and say No. 10 in the rankings.

I appreciate that, but I repeat "In what way is it crucial?"  I doubt he will manage it. Without being facetious,  does that mean the world as we know it will come to an end if he doesn't? - and Wade called Murray a Drama Queen. She should spend some time on here....!!!
IP Logged
Connor
John McEnroe

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #334 on: February 16, 2014, 05:28 PM »

I appreciate that, but I repeat "In what way is it crucial?"  I doubt he will manage it. Without being facetious,  does that mean the world as we know it will come to an end if he doesn't? - and Wade called Murray a Drama Queen. She should spend some time on here....!!!

I'm not saying it would be the end of the world, you are trying to twist my words. But I'm pretty sure if Andy was as low as No. 9 or 10 in the world, you would start worrying. It would be harder to come from that sort of position than No. 6 or 7.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #335 on: February 16, 2014, 05:38 PM »

I'm not saying it would be the end of the world, you are trying to twist my words. But I'm pretty sure if Andy was as low as No. 9 or 10 in the world, you would start worrying. It would be harder to come from that sort of position than No. 6 or 7.

I am not trying to twist your words. I am trying to show how silly this whole debate is. It is outside our control. There is nothing any of us can do about it. If he was falling down the rankings without any identifiable cause then there would be concern for him, but we know why this is happening. This is just something he has got to get through.  I don't know that I would worry - realistically that is going to happen in a few years anyway.  As far as I am concerned there are enough promising signs for me not to be unduly worried at this stage. Perhaps it comes from having had quite a lot if surgery myself. I know just how draining it can be on the whole system, and how the effects last long after the surgical wound has healed. Personally I think he is doing damn well to be playing at this level at all at the moment.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #336 on: February 16, 2014, 06:04 PM »

Well, look at it this way - last year Rafa returned to the tour and almost instantaneously returned to form and winning titles - and had a blinder of a year. Result - much mutterings and finger pointings that this was not achieved by talent alone. This year Andy returns to the tour - and is not instantaneously back to best form and scooping up titles . Result - much mutterings and finger pointings that he will never get back to his best.  confused Can't have it all ways. Andy coming back and instantly hitting top form and winning titles (nice as that would have been) would have made some folk suspicious, and other folk look rather hypocritical.  (I don't neccessarily mean folk on here, just people in general). Let's just take it one event at a time. And if Berdy wins today andAndy drops to 7 - well, we know the power of that number in Andy's career!
Which he has done, so let's hope the magic of number 7 does its work again!

Let's be real here, Andy was asked to play Rotterdam last minute and there was probably some nice bit of ££££££££££££ on the table from Kraijceck that he wouldn't want to refuse. Andy used the event as a bit of a tune up and never cared about winning.
Rolling Eyes  He wanted more match practice, yes, and to see how his back and his body stood up to playing on consecutive days, but to say he didn't want to win is ridiculous.   It's possible he didn't rate his chances of doing so as being too good, but that didn't stop him feeling disappointed that he bowed out in the QF.

Andy is 26 and is going to be 27 this year. His prime is now and the clock is ticking.
Another positive post I see  Rolling Eyes andy cant just "rush" his recovery  to suit your timescale!! He will be back to full fitness when he is good and ready.

Would you rather he pushed himself so hard he done even more damage and had to retire for good?
I agree Angie.  Rob should go back to the negative black hole he crawled out of.  At least Andy has a very positive attitude and a great support team round him plus Lendl as his coach, and Lendl said recently that he thought Andy would be back at his peak by RG and that that was the aim, so given that he knows a darn sight more about what's going on than you or anyone else on here, I much prefer to listen to him.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 16, 2014, 06:11 PM ] IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #337 on: February 16, 2014, 06:09 PM »

May I just say that 7 is a lucky number for Andy. He has only dropped his ranking because he missed quite a few tournaments and is now on his way back to playing matches, he will soon be moving up and we just have to be patient.He is not the only player to drop down the ranking after being out through injury and they have gone back up the ranking. superman
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #338 on: February 16, 2014, 06:19 PM »

May I just say that 7 is a lucky number for Andy. He has only dropped his ranking because he missed quite a few tournaments and is now on his way back to playing matches, he will soon be moving up and we just have to be patient.He is not the only player to drop down the ranking after being out through injury and they have gone back up the ranking. superman
I too really don't see what the panic is.  If we were talking about a few thousand ranking points I could understand it, but in fact Andy is only 155 points below Berdych and 165 below Del Potro, so hardly cause for alarm.  Talk about some people creating a drama out of nothing!
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #339 on: February 16, 2014, 06:21 PM »

Talk about some people creating a drama out of nothing!
  Meat and drink to MWers!
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #340 on: February 16, 2014, 06:28 PM »

IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #341 on: February 16, 2014, 06:33 PM »

Neat.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #342 on: February 16, 2014, 06:42 PM »

lol  Nice one Linda.
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #343 on: February 16, 2014, 07:04 PM »

How exactly is  7 a lucky number for him just because he became the first Brit in 77 years to win Wimbledon which happened to be on 7th of July?

Apart from those things what luck has he had? If any thing he's had nothing but bad luck since he won Wimbledon.
IP Logged
Murray Magic
ATP Level

Andy "Braveheart" Murray

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #344 on: February 16, 2014, 07:08 PM »

Ha Ha a typical day on MW.  Anyone with a shred of realism would have known a comeback from surgery and the subsequent lay off was never going to be easy, if Ivan Lendl says full fitness by RG then I think everyone should listen to that as he knows a lot more than anyone on here.  By the time RG comes around Andy May well have dropped in the rankings but he has no points to defend from the clay court season while others do - he has a chance to make up ground.  Then it moves to the grass court season and we all know Andy is the best grass court player right now and he'll go into the grass court season with a new found confidence as he has done it all before, less pressure, a nation not expecting etc.  He played amazing tennis last year on grass with an injured back - we have already seen signs of improved rotation, the ability to hit his backhand and this is early doors in his rehab.  The second part of the season is when Andy should be judged, very few points to defend and hopefully back to full fitness, I think we will then see Andy's class prevail and him go back to the top part of the rankings.  If you take a step back and look at the situation,he is doing really well to be back so soon, he needs time to get his sharpness back and time to be confident in his own head that his back is good to go.  Look at other players who have had serious injuries, illness etc JMDP and Robin Soderling just beginning to make his way when he was struck down with illness and his career ravaged.  If you apply a little bit of perspective Andy is doing just fine.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »