Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 24 (92.3%)
Murray in 3. - 2 (7.7%)
Thiem in 2. - 0 (0%)
Thiem in 3. - 0 (0%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] Go Down Reply
Author

Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem

(Read 3012 times)
TheMadHatter
World No 1

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #405 on: February 14, 2014, 09:52 AM »

Thiem has a fantastic all-round game. Wicked groundstrokes, powerful serve, great retrieving, decent return. The thing that separates from other players his age and ranking is his consistency with them though - most other players have the weapons but will often error every 5th or 6th shot. Mental strength is the big unknown though, and it is that that separates the very best from the rest. He's clearly a very confident player, but he's also got the advantage of being quite unknown to most players on tour. Once they start working him out it will be interesting to see how he fares. Harrison for instance has gone completely backwards since breaking through, likewise Tomic and Young.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #406 on: February 14, 2014, 10:09 AM »

Thiem has a fantastic all-round game. Wicked groundstrokes, powerful serve, great retrieving, decent return. The thing that separates from other players his age and ranking is his consistency with them though - most other players have the weapons but will often error every 5th or 6th shot. Mental strength is the big unknown though, and it is that that separates the very best from the rest. He's clearly a very confident player, but he's also got the advantage of being quite unknown to most players on tour. Once they start working him out it will be interesting to see how he fares. Harrison for instance has gone completely backwards since breaking through, likewise Tomic and Young.

That's a good point.

It's interesting, it does often work out that newcomers to the tour seem to get a free 12 months or so, because their games are an unknown quantity. It fascinates me to see players working the youngsters out.

Thiem can obviously play, but staying with someone like Andy in a best of three is a different kettle of fish to doing it in a slam, as is doing it not just once, but week in week out.

It will be interesting to see how Thiem goes on. I hope for his sake he isn't hyped too early. I hope he's given time to find his feet first.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #407 on: February 14, 2014, 10:52 AM »

I agree TMH.   He has a good all court game, moves exceptionally well, heavy groundstrokes and I did enjoy watching him.    I would have enjoyed it more if he hadn't been playing Andy.    He is a good prospect but others have come up from the juniors, exploded on to the scene and then either stalled or disappeared altogether.
IP Logged
Katie
ATP Level

Andy Murray - US Open and Wimbledon champion! :)

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #408 on: February 14, 2014, 03:00 PM »

It'll be good to follow Thiem's progress over the next few seasons. He was very impressive last night, great tennis.

Good win for Andy - he did well to step up his level when he needed to after the second set. Hope he's ok physically for today's match after all the running he did yesterday.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #409 on: February 14, 2014, 03:15 PM »

Marianne Bevis ‏@MarianneBevis  15h
@andy_murray on 2hr20min vs Thiem:"I remember playing matches like that when I was his age & it was a lot of fun—now it’s bit more stressful

and ...Interesting from Andy Murray after #Thiem match:"I was talking too much [in the match] today.That was s'thing I was a bit disappointed with"

Full review from Marianne Bevis
http://www.thesportreview.com/tsr/2014/02/andy-murray-dominic-thiem-rotterdam/
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #410 on: February 14, 2014, 06:07 PM »

good to see Andy giving credit to Thiem while acknowledging he wasn't fun to play against.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 [28] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »