Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 6 (27.3%)
Murray in 3. - 11 (50%)
Cilic in 2. - 3 (13.6%)
Cilic in 3. - 2 (9.1%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 22

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Go Down Reply
Author

Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic

(Read 6198 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #315 on: February 15, 2014, 04:48 PM »

tj funnily enough was making exactly the same point about what Martina said to a friend this morning.  And I don't agree ABF that Cilic looked no different from the past.  He has a much stronger and more consistent serve now (Petch explained very clearly how he'd changed it) and that has probably given him more confidence when he's got break points against him.  I agree the rest of his game doesn't seem that different but don't underestimate the difference the serve could have made.
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #316 on: February 15, 2014, 08:27 PM »

tj funnily enough was making exactly the same point about what Martina said to a friend this morning.  And I don't agree ABF that Cilic looked no different from the past.  He has a much stronger and more consistent serve now (Petch explained very clearly how he'd changed it) and that has probably given him more confidence when he's got break points against him.  I agree the rest of his game doesn't seem that different but don't underestimate the difference the serve could have made.

Maybe his serve has a wee bit more power... I didnt see it as especially consistent. Andy had the usual type of opportunities to break his serve that I have seen in the past... he just didnt take them. Cilic looked in choke mode especially mid 2 nd set and Andy let him off with unforced errors. Had he broken serve then Id have put a bet on Cilic crumbling. Thats my belief anyway. Cilic pretty much said afterwards that Andy was sub par ..but he was glad he won... of course. That sums it up...Cilic knows a 100% Andy would have taken his chances.
[ Last edit by ABF February 15, 2014, 08:33 PM ] IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #317 on: February 15, 2014, 08:51 PM »

^ The voice of intelligent common sense as always.

no.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #318 on: February 15, 2014, 08:52 PM »

no.

yes.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #319 on: February 16, 2014, 02:36 AM »

In my opinion anyone who writes some of the vile, and nasty comments about a young man, who has been through so much yet fought relentlessly until he achieved his dream, can't call themselves a fan - proper or otherwise. They are small minded people who glory in the misfortune of others, and present themselves as fundamentally inadequate. People who are secure in their own identity don't need to constantly belittle someone they profess to support.

A psychologist would have a field day reading some of the comments on here....!!!
Never in doubt. Whistle

When I said about Andy keeping calm I didn't really mean when he's playing. What I mean is that to my mind he shouldn't panic about his form, ranking, any of it, for now. There's no point. Andy just needs to keep plugging away, building his confidence, and then the results will come.
He's been making it very clear for a while now that his chief priority is to get back to 100% match fitness, and once that has been achieved, the results will surely follow.
IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #320 on: February 16, 2014, 02:44 AM »

I think it comes down to what Martina Navratilova said about Andy at the AO. In my mind that still applies. Andy has a lot of variety in his game in comparison with a player like Nadal. With Nadal it's fairly simple, he will play certain shots all the time, so he doesn't need to make the sorts of decisions Andy has to. Andy has choices in his shot-making, but the issue is that when you are out for a time it takes a while to get back into making the right choices in the right moment.

Andy doesn't need to change what works, not in terms of coaches, hitting partners or whatever. He just needs to be patient with himself and keep going and it will click again.

Andy was injured for two years. In that time he's had to alter the way he plays to a point. Now he's injury free he has to adjust. He just needs time to trust his body, but he also needs matches so the natural instincts come back. What Andy should not do is make changes or panic, because if he does it will be a disaster.
Good posting!  Although I doubt Andy will be panicking or planning to make changes any time soon - and Lendl will make sure of that!  Also Andy will have to get used to the idea that he can now play the shots he says he couldn't play before because of the pain.  In fact that restriction makes his achievements all the more remarkable.

The one comfort for me is that Lendl, although he never had surgery, knows exactly what back problems can be like, so I can't see him pushing Andy in any way - not that I think he ever has because he knows that that is not the right way to handle him.
[ Last edit by Aileen February 16, 2014, 02:49 AM ] IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #321 on: February 16, 2014, 08:01 AM »

Some good points raised.

I also wonder if part of the plan is for Andy to get back to a certain level of fitness, and to test what hurts and doesn't hurt during real match-play, and then when they feel the time is right, get to work on some of the shots that just weren't possible while he was in pain, including some stuff that is new to Andy.

In other words, Andy getting back to full fitness (whatever that is compared with before) is only the start.  If he's playing pain free, it creates a lot more options.
IP Logged
wimbledonwestie
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #322 on: February 16, 2014, 02:40 PM »

Well, look at it this way - last year Rafa returned to the tour and almost instantaneously returned to form and winning titles - and had a blinder of a year. Result - much mutterings and finger pointings that this was not achieved by talent alone. This year Andy returns to the tour - and is not instantaneously back to best form and scooping up titles . Result - much mutterings and finger pointings that he will never get back to his best.  confused Can't have it all ways. Andy coming back and instantly hitting top form and winning titles (nice as that would have been) would have made some folk suspicious, and other folk look rather hypocritical.  (I don't neccessarily mean folk on here, just people in general). Let's just take it one event at a time. And if Berdy wins today andAndy drops to 7 - well, we know the power of that number in Andy's career!
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #323 on: February 16, 2014, 02:52 PM »

Let's be real here, Andy was asked to play Rotterdam last minute and there was probably some nice bit of ££££££££££££ on the table from Kraijceck that he wouldn't want to refuse. Andy used the event as a bit of a tune up and never cared about winning.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #324 on: February 16, 2014, 03:09 PM »

Another point we haven't discussed is whether or not Andy was given a time frame for when he could expect the back to feel completely over the surgery. A while ago one of the comms, I don't remember who, made the point that it's sometimes the case that if a player is told they'll be fully fit in X amount of time, they won't fully let rip until that time comes, psychologically, and perhaps physically, they won't feel able to let go and play until after that time.

Given Andy was injured for a long time it would make sense for there to be no quick fix, it's all about patience and time.
IP Logged
rob92
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #325 on: February 16, 2014, 03:44 PM »

Andy is 26 and is going to be 27 this year. His prime is now and the clock is ticking.
IP Logged
Tessie
ATP Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #326 on: February 16, 2014, 04:20 PM »

Let's be real here, Andy was asked to play Rotterdam last minute and there was probably some nice bit of ££££££££££££ on the table from Kraijceck that he wouldn't want to refuse. Andy used the event as a bit of a tune up and never cared about winning.

Andy always cares about winning.
IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #327 on: February 16, 2014, 04:53 PM »

Andy is 26 and is going to be 27 this year. His prime is now and the clock is ticking.

Another positive post I see  Rolling Eyes andy cant just "rush" his recovery  to suit your timescale!! He will be back to full fitness when he is good and ready.

Would you rather he pushed himself so hard he done even more damage and had to retire for good?
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #328 on: February 16, 2014, 05:01 PM »

I agree Angie what's all the panic about. When he is good and ready and back to full fitness he will be fine.
IP Logged
Connor
Grand Slam Champion

The great British player will be back!

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 QF: Murray vs Cilic « Reply #329 on: February 16, 2014, 05:06 PM »

Miami is crucial to defend.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »