Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: WWW?
Murray in 2. - 24 (92.3%)
Murray in 3. - 2 (7.7%)
Thiem in 2. - 0 (0%)
Thiem in 3. - 0 (0%)
Comedy 5th option. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 Go Down Reply
Author

Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem

(Read 2838 times)
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #390 on: February 13, 2014, 09:58 PM »

It is frustrating though when Andy playing so far from his best even though against a new kid on the block who had nothing to lose and playing much better than anyone had anticipated.  Kept having to remind myself of my own advice that we have to be patient during the recovery process.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #391 on: February 13, 2014, 10:00 PM »

You are probably right. I was cowering behind the Live Scores as usual. Following it was brutal. I was just waiting for Theim to break him back in the 3rd:-)
At one time, maybe, but I do think Andy is more experienced now, and he can soak up a lot more from his opponents, so I tend not to get so worried.   Credit to Thiem - he did great.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #392 on: February 13, 2014, 10:12 PM »

I thought Andy was looking a bit stiff in the 3rd set but it seemed to be his leg rather than his back which was the problem.   He kept on the move - out quickly to serve - that sort of thing.    The annoying thing about Sky is the ads.    I like to see what is happening at the changeover.     Hope he recovers well for to-morrow.   Did anyone else think Thiem had the look of Tim  Henman from certain angles?     Facially I mean.   
IP Logged
Apollo
Veteran

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #393 on: February 13, 2014, 10:17 PM »

Taking tomorrow off from work and will be able hopefully to watch Andy's match on a real TV.  Wishing everyone a Happy Valentines day and a good luck to Andy for an easier win and wonderful Valentines day as well.
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #394 on: February 13, 2014, 10:18 PM »

I actually think Cilic will be easier no offense to Cilic.
   Don't be so sure - he's in-form just now, won at Zagreb, took out JWT, and has the  formidable Goran Ivanisovic in his corner. His tail will be up - especially after tonights performance.
[ Last edit by Fiverings February 13, 2014, 10:25 PM ] IP Logged
Aileen
Murraymaniac

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #395 on: February 13, 2014, 10:29 PM »

Even if Andy does lose against Cilic, at least it'll be three matches under his belt which he didn't think he was going to have until offered a wildcard to play here.  I don't think waiting three weeks until Acapulco was something he relished as he really has to get himself as fit and as sharp as possible before the Masters start.
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #396 on: February 13, 2014, 10:36 PM »

Stuart Fraser ‏@stu_fraser  2h
Leading 6-4 3-4, Andy Murray's analysis of his performance so far at the changeover: "Absolute f*cking sh*te."

I'm not a great lip-reader, but I did get that!

IP Logged
angiebabez
Veteran

Andy Murray Wimbledon Champion 2013

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #397 on: February 13, 2014, 10:37 PM »

Leading 6-4 3-4, Andy Murray's analysis of his performance so far at the changeover: "Absolute f*cking sh*te."

lol
IP Logged
Fiverings
ATP Level

Andy Murray - Tennis Legend

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #398 on: February 13, 2014, 10:37 PM »

Aye you can take the boy out of Scotland…..
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #399 on: February 13, 2014, 11:26 PM »

was a fair assessment really ... lol

seriously tho ... some folks I think only watch highlights video of the likes of djoko and nadal etc... they all have poor matches, poor periods in matches and just like andy did... do enough to get thru.

Next!
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #400 on: February 13, 2014, 11:30 PM »

It is frustrating though when Andy playing so far from his best even though against a new kid on the block who had nothing to lose and playing much better than anyone had anticipated.  Kept having to remind myself of my own advice that we have to be patient during the recovery process.

It wasn't great from Andy at times, but I think you have to credit him for finding the best when he needed it. He'd never played Thiem, said himself he was surprised by how well Thiem moved etc, and Thiem did play well.

Andy's just getting back in his stride. The encouraging thing for me was that he wanted the win today. How often do people here accuse Andy of not taking tournaments seriously outside of the slams? Well he took it seriously today when he could have bailed and just put a loss down to a bad day.

Andy hasn't played many back-to-back matches since he came back, and also the pressure was on him really. Thiem was free to go out there and go for it, no one would go on about it if he lost, most would have forgotten about him within a few days. Andy's in a position where he's taken a wild card and Krajicek (who is getting higher in my estimation all the time Smile ) is effectively giving him star billing. That's a pressure in a way, but Andy lived up to his billing by finding a way and getting it done.

I really hope Andy recovers from today. I don't want Cilic beating him. In a way, if he recovers physically, the fight today could do Andy good. Cilic hasn't got a good record against Andy. I suspect it will stay that way.
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #401 on: February 13, 2014, 11:56 PM »

Also one of the comms said that Thiem's favourite surface was clay.    Add that to the relatively slow surface in Rotterdam and the nothing to lose factor and you have a difficult match but Andy found a way to win.     What really irritates me is the pleasure with which large sections of the  the press jump on Andy when he has the slightest wobble.             
IP Logged
Elena
Seed

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #402 on: February 14, 2014, 12:04 AM »

What really irritates me is the pleasure with which large sections of the  the press jump on Andy when he has the slightest wobble.             

Who's been doing that then?
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #403 on: February 14, 2014, 06:31 AM »

@Iluvandy
Reminded me more of Roddick......not a good look for me Whistle
IP Logged
Ruthie
Veteran

Touch the sky - and touch it he did.

Re: Rotterdam 500 2014 R2: Murray vs Thiem « Reply #404 on: February 14, 2014, 09:11 AM »

Also one of the comms said that Thiem's favourite surface was clay.    Add that to the relatively slow surface in Rotterdam and the nothing to lose factor and you have a difficult match but Andy found a way to win.     What really irritates me is the pleasure with which large sections of the  the press jump on Andy when he has the slightest wobble.             
I get more irritated when small sections of MW jump on Andy though mercifully few did this time!   Whistle

Seems that Thiem's coach had been working hard on his fitness during the off season and this has rather taken people by surprise.  If Andy had been watching old tapes, he'd not have factored that in.  Petch had said he'd not have the fire power to trouble Andy but seemed to have plenty of fire power to me.  And as already noted his speed round the court took Andy by surprise.   At least Andy knows Cilic's game well but I fear this could be Cilic's opportunity to pounce especially with Goran in his corner.  Whatever, as has already been said, it's good for Andy to have the match practice.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 [27] 28 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »