Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 Go Down Reply
Author

AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic

(Read 13151 times)
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1305 on: January 27, 2012, 11:10 PM »

What was Andy thinking in the 1st game of the 4th set? He missed a simple chance to win the point and probably win the game. The Joker hit a defensive high ball and all Andy needed to do was let it bounce. Instead he hit a silly volley over the baseline. That set the tone for that 4th set which turned into a non-event. His brain went walkabout there. Otherwise Andy played great but The Joker has extraordinary resilience. How many times does he turn defeat into victory in the last few games? Amazing really.
IP Logged
invisibleman18
World No 1

MW 2006 Fantasy WC & Prediction League Champion

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1306 on: January 28, 2012, 04:56 AM »

Djokovic looked absolutely finished at the start of the 3rd set and Murray had so many chances to have won that set much earlier. He really should have buried that 3rd set 6-2 and then continued onto the 4th. Every time he got ahead he just kept gifting it back even when Djokovic could barely move. Murray just doesn't seem to believe he can win when he gets into those positions.
IP Logged
Clydey
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1307 on: January 28, 2012, 05:15 AM »

Me too!  And also, I think his mum's influence less.  She did a great job, but it's time to cut the apron strings.  I want the best for my kids also, but I doubt I'd give my son a lot of confidence if I turned up at the Scottish Parliament every day.  He'd still feel like a little boy looking to his Mum for approval...

So she shouldn't come to his matches and support him?

The way people unfairly criticise Judy irritates the hell out of me.
IP Logged
blueberryhill
Veteran

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1308 on: January 28, 2012, 06:51 AM »

well said.  clap
Verdasco's dad is at every match. Nobody says anything about him. Many, many other examples.
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1309 on: January 28, 2012, 07:28 AM »

I agree.......It irritates the hell out of me too! She's just there as his mother......Not his coach!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1310 on: January 28, 2012, 07:29 AM »

well said.  clap
Verdasco's dad is at every match. Nobody says anything about him. Many, many other examples.
Exactly! If he was my boy, I'd want to see him play!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1311 on: January 28, 2012, 09:09 AM »

I don't care about Judy coming to his matches, you can tell she's a really nice woman & a good mother.
But it bothered me that she was still a major influence in his carreer.
She's done an excellent job but he needed to move on & not be shielded from some hard truths & he has with a new "Tennis Dad"in Lendl.

And look at the improvements already. Although Andy really should be given the credit mostly at this stage.
Anyway the issue is more maturity so I believe it's was important for his development that he moved on as his behaviour on court and general attitude was intolerable and self destructive and Judy clearly wasn't up to the task of sorting it out. If she even bothered at all.
So it's not Judy that's the issue it's Andy. Or was the issue because I think
that he's got a grip now.
IP Logged
Littlebuddha
Seed

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1312 on: January 28, 2012, 01:03 PM »

As far as I am concerned Andy gave his all. He had a few bad patches but continued to fight. He must have been exhausted and gutted, but at least his fighting spirit cam out. I am sure Lendl is going to improve his game on the mental and technical side and he will be mentally stronger and his stroke play will improve.
So lets not think he will not improve, I am sure he will and go on to win slams we must all keep the faith.
He is a great tennis player.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1313 on: January 28, 2012, 02:59 PM »

Regarding Judy:  She is his mom and has been very instrumental in his tennis. We may not have this great player to follow if not for her. She should still come to watch hm play when she can as the mom not coach and leave all that coach stuff to Ivan. My sons both played sports and I was always there when they played, but of course I don't go off to their jobs with them. 

Andy has just begun to be as great as he will be. You can tell he wants to be better and is willing to work at it. He already has made great strides in being #4 in the world and #1 in the UK. Ivan will help him at what he needs to work better at. I'm looking forward to continuing to see the new and even better Andy.
IP Logged
top_spin
Murraymaniac

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1314 on: January 28, 2012, 05:33 PM »

The full match is available to watch on BBC iPlayer until 3rd Feb. yay
IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1315 on: January 28, 2012, 05:44 PM »

The full match is available to watch on BBC iPlayer until 3rd Feb. yay
yay I have recorded it  on sky+ Smile Eurosport HD Smile
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1316 on: January 28, 2012, 11:21 PM »

I agree with Mats Wilander

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/tennis/andymurray/9046503/Australian-Open-2012-Andy-Murray-needs-to-improve-fitness-still-further-says-three-time-winner-Mats-Wilander.html

“What we found out on Friday is that Andy doesn’t play momentum, he plays the scoreboard. He wins the third set and thinks 'OK, I’m ahead now.’ He relaxes, thinking that Novak is going to throw him a bone, and suddenly he has been broken twice.

“I mean, in that first game of the fourth set, he hits the worst shot of the entire tournament. A high ball comes in at 15-30, he should have let it bounce and then belted it right into the crowd. Instead he plays this crazy drive-volley and he hits it long.
IP Logged
BigNose
ATP Level

The Voice of Reason

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1317 on: January 28, 2012, 11:23 PM »

Andy just chucked the 4th set. He couldn't believe he was winning in my opinion. Hence the crazy drive volley at the start of the set. We always say this about Andy but I hope he learns from this.
IP Logged
matchpoint
Futures Level

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1318 on: January 28, 2012, 11:30 PM »

Andy just chucked the 4th set. He couldn't believe he was winning in my opinion. Hence the crazy drive volley at the start of the set. We always say this about Andy but I hope he learns from this.

Had put this in the 'News' thread but maybe it's better here. This is my view on the 4th set:

I think the 4th set was just an automatic reaction to having just won the 3rd set tiebreak. I think the sense of achievement brought a false sense of security, he momentarily lost focus in the first game and before he knew it he was 3-0 down.

In his book Brad Gilbert describes this scenario. He calls them the Happy Camper (the winner of the set) and the Wounded Bear (the loser who can get fired up and can profit from the opponent's vulnerability at this time).

Quote:"It's truly a great player who gets hungrier with a lead, who doesn't get complacent and relax"
 I think it's this that Andy needs to develop - and hopefully Lendl will help him.

IP Logged
lashurst
World No 1

Murray Mad

Re: AO 2012 SF: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1319 on: January 29, 2012, 01:37 AM »

Had put this in the 'News' thread but maybe it's better here. This is my view on the 4th set:

I think the 4th set was just an automatic reaction to having just won the 3rd set tiebreak. I think the sense of achievement brought a false sense of security, he momentarily lost focus in the first game and before he knew it he was 3-0 down.

In his book Brad Gilbert describes this scenario. He calls them the Happy Camper (the winner of the set) and the Wounded Bear (the loser who can get fired up and can profit from the opponent's vulnerability at this time).

Quote:"It's truly a great player who gets hungrier with a lead, who doesn't get complacent and relax"
 I think it's this that Andy needs to develop - and hopefully Lendl will help him.

Interesting viewpoint from Gilbert and yourself. Perhaps you're right, but I still can't get my head around the fact that Andy, wanting a major title more than anything else and especially after losing abysmally to Djoko last year would become complacent, moments after winning a tie-break? A tie break meant the previous set was a close shave and Andy wanted that place in the final, so what reason had he to suddenly stop trying?
He knows Djoko doesnt give up and he knows his acting tricks too. For that reason alone it beggers belief that he consciously just sat back and let his big chance slip away.

It's baffling why his game collapsed as it did in the 4th. Especially with all his efforts to his game and finally acquiring Lendl to help him beat the best.

I dont have a plausible explanation. It could have been mental and/or physical, but only Andy or Lendl will know the reason.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 87 [88] 89 90 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »