Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Serena v Murray ( exibition ) 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Reply
Author

Serena v Murray ( exibition )

(Read 1509 times)
laundry
Top Seed

Re: Serena v Murray ( exibition ) « Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 10:48 PM »

Murray, meanwhile, insisted he is serious about playing Serena Williams, although whether it happens or not remains to be seen.

The potential contest was put to Murray as a challenge by a follower on Twitter and he said he would be keen, with women's world number one Williams yesterday giving a warm reception to the idea.

Murray said: "It's not something I'm really going to push extremely hard to try and set up. I don't think it would prove much for either of us. But if people would want to see it, then I would do it."
IP Logged
AL1874
Top Seed

What was I drinking last night?

Re: Serena v Murray ( exibition ) « Reply #31 on: June 29, 2013, 12:56 AM »

I remember the Connors/martina exhibition in Reno 91/92ish were after serve Natratalova could use the tramlines, terrible idea. Gives papers something to print nothing more.
IP Logged
teejay1
Top Seed

Courage doesn't always roar - but wins Wimbledon

Re: Serena v Murray ( exibition ) « Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 08:23 AM »

I think if both parties wanted to do it and it was seen as a bit of fun, why not? Things that are a bit different aren't bad for the game. They could do it for charity or something.

Serena should have the same rules as Andy though, otherwise it wouldn't be fair.
IP Logged
notnek
Futures Level

Re: Serena v Murray ( exibition ) « Reply #33 on: June 29, 2013, 09:02 AM »

I think if both parties wanted to do it and it was seen as a bit of fun, why not? Things that are a bit different aren't bad for the game. They could do it for charity or something.

Serena should have the same rules as Andy though, otherwise it wouldn't be fair.
Fairness doesn't really matter if it's an exhibition match. If they both followed the same rules then it would be over quickly 6-0, 6-0 and would be pretty dull. They'd need to change something to make it more interesting.

I think Serena vs Mcenroe is a better idea and I'm sure John would be up for it.
IP Logged
*Sparkle*
Challenger Level

Re: Serena v Murray ( exibition ) « Reply #34 on: June 29, 2013, 09:18 AM »

Waiting for some red top to twist the story to make Andy out as arrogant to the woman's game.
It did worry about that, and I think that probably would have happened a couple of years ago, but I think the media and public now respect Andy a lot more.  Once upon a time they'd be happy to throw Andy and his reputation under a bus for a juicy story, but these days they are happier promoting him as a national hero as they do with most of Britain's other sporting stars.

I really think this is where being part of a Management group like XIX comes into play.  I don't believe that they've told him not to be rude about the English etc, but I do think they've encouraged him to give the media more, which builds your stock without you having to be fake.  I'm sure some of their early digs were down to them having their collective noses out of joint because Andy wouldn't pander to them.  I don't think he panders to them now, but he gives the good ones reasonable access, and I think the rest have learned to accept that he is private, and respect that.

It also helps being an Olympic medallist.  There seems to be a rule in the British media that they are all treated as heroes, and where taking your training seriously is a virtue, not boring.

As for the match, I can't see it happening - at least not as a straight match.  Something may come out of the banter, but IMO, it really is just the players going along with a joke, and the press using it as an opportunity to write yet another Wimbledon related story.  I do think it's interesting that the story has made it abroad too, and so long as everyone realises Andy wasn't being boorish in his challenge, it's good for him and the sport.  It's in a transitional period, and for many casual fans, Federer and Nadal are the big stars while Djokovic and Murray are still bit players, so this kind of story, while silly, is a good for that.  It's also going to come as quite a shock to a lot of British moaners that someone like Serena rates Andy!

It probably helps that Andy has a genuine interest in and respect for the women's game, and that's known amongst the women players and commentators.  They would think twice before presuming that he was being arsy.

There are features like this one on ESPN, which are just good fun.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9429453
[ Last edit by *Sparkle* June 29, 2013, 09:30 AM ] IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Reply 
« previous next »