Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
Andy Murray vs Fabio Fognini, Thursday, Estimated time - 1:45pm BST - Discuss the match
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predict the outcome?
Not on your life. - 7 (16.7%)
Murray in 2. - 8 (19%)
Murray in 3 - 25 (59.5%)
Djokovic in 2. - 2 (4.8%)
Djokovic in 3. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 ... 115 Go Down Reply
Author

Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic

(Read 19880 times)
scotnadian
World No 1

You (still) ain't seen nothing yet..

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1620 on: October 14, 2012, 10:39 PM »

.. the 50,s??
Did they have schools back then?
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1621 on: October 14, 2012, 10:43 PM »

roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao

I'm sending you a PM

U got 1 back Wink
IP Logged
robbie
Top Seed

Your goals minus your doubts equal your reality

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1622 on: October 14, 2012, 10:44 PM »

I think we are all a bit fraught, it has been a funny year. Mr M has turned in some really rubbish performances, particularly in the early part of the year. I can recall some very savage comments about Lendl having made him go backwards. However it has all been part of the process of changing his game/attitude to tweak it enough to make the big jump. I don't think anyone can argue that he has achieved that, but there are undoubtedly still a few rough edges. Personally I think there is still more that will come as a result of that partnership.  I also think that all of us on here are going to need to modify our approach as I suspect that there are going to be many more matches like today's to stress us all out. We can watch him now not merely with the expectation of a semi, but the real prospect of major finals that he has a good chance of winning. Equally like today, he won't win them all.  My only real irritant with the comments today are those that say he gave away 5 match points. He didn't any more, than ND gave away those endless set points in set two of the US Open, or Cillic in the US Open match (can you imagine the comments Cilic might have got from his fans.. !!!). Murray was suffering from some form of virus during this tournament. He did really well to get to the final, much less dismantle the Fed as he did yesterday.  Much as it pains me to say it ND played a really good tournament and probably deserved to win.
At the end of this year Murray has managed to break that all important GS Duck, made major changes to aspects of his attitude/game, been the first Brit to reach a Wimbledon final since the dark ages, played a brilliant Olympic Tournament managing to block the Gold Medal that Fed had probably already made a space for in his trophy cabinet before the games started, gone a big way to altering the attitude of the Great British Public, and got to Number 3. Time for a period of reflection before next year I think. Finally Murray lost today - lets count our blessings it would be much harder being a Tsonga or Ferrer supporter, they frequently get very close but don't seem to manage to ever get the really big prizes.
I too hate a lot of the negativity - mainly because I am soft, and sometimes I do think that people are over critical, but I have learnt that a lot of it is said in the heat of the moment. Gnome does have the option of not coming on here. I don't think new folks like me have the right to march into other people's playgrounds, and expect people to change their ways, even though I have questioned things. People like TMH and Boogers have been here seemingly for ever. If folks like Gnome or me don't like it then we always have the option setting up our own "Only positive comments permitted forum".  However I think I will stay on here if that's ok.
Another waffle........
Love waffles.... with honey: Little tongue man
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1623 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46 PM »

Cmon, are you trying to say it was called Academy in the 50,s??

Well ...yeah ..they couldnt call it Behavioural Disorder Rehab Centre in those days.... lol
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1624 on: October 14, 2012, 10:46 PM »

At the end of this year Murray has managed to break that all important GS Duck, made major changes to aspects of his attitude/game, been the first Brit to reach a Wimbledon final since the dark ages, played a brilliant Olympic Tournament managing to block the Gold Medal that Fed had probably already made a space for in his trophy cabinet before the games started, gone a big way to altering the attitude of the Great British Public, and got to Number 3.

I just love this so much!Very well said Very Happy
IP Logged
ABF
Challenger Level

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1625 on: October 14, 2012, 11:02 PM »

Love waffles.... with honey: Little tongue man

w/ cream , banana & coconut .... not too shabby
IP Logged
Iluvandy
Seed

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1626 on: October 14, 2012, 11:06 PM »

I agree with Gnome up to a point - mainly because I think Andy gets enough stick from other quarters.     I don't think I have ever known of a top sportsman who has

been criticised so much with so little justification.     I don't look on MW during a match but flick through afterwards.     Some comments are disappointing and criticism

is all very well but should be tempered with the reality of the occasion remembering that every match is different.     Andy lost this match because his legs gave out on

him and no matter how mentally strong you are you still need your legs.
IP Logged
Apollo
World No 1

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1627 on: October 14, 2012, 11:37 PM »

At the risk of being jumped on, gnome was only expressing [perhaps more forcefully] what some of the rest of us say from time to time. In particular his points that some people react as if Andy were deliberately messing up at times in order to make them feel bad and what would Andy feel were he to read some of the insults.   Of course we have free speech on the forum but with free speech comes responsibility and I do think we have responsibilities as fans of Andy.  So thanks gnome for reminding people of them. 

i have to agree. i always think what if andy joined with a name we didn't know and read some of the comments. i have to wonder what he'd think.  would he consider us fans?  So when i post i try to stay positive.  i also try to remember how easy it is to sit in my easy chair and tell Andy who is outbon the court trying to do the best job he can what to do.
IP Logged
Rachie
Seed

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1628 on: October 14, 2012, 11:48 PM »

I think we are all a bit fraught, it has been a funny year. Mr M has turned in some really rubbish performances, particularly in the early part of the year. I can recall some very savage comments about Lendl having made him go backwards. However it has all been part of the process of changing his game/attitude to tweak it enough to make the big jump. I don't think anyone can argue that he has achieved that, but there are undoubtedly still a few rough edges. Personally I think there is still more that will come as a result of that partnership.  I also think that all of us on here are going to need to modify our approach as I suspect that there are going to be many more matches like today's to stress us all out. We can watch him now not merely with the expectation of a semi, but the real prospect of major finals that he has a good chance of winning. Equally like today, he won't win them all.  My only real irritant with the comments today are those that say he gave away 5 match points. He didn't any more, than ND gave away those endless set points in set two of the US Open, or Cillic in the US Open match (can you imagine the comments Cilic might have got from his fans.. !!!). Murray was suffering from some form of virus during this tournament. He did really well to get to the final, much less dismantle the Fed as he did yesterday.  Much as it pains me to say it ND played a really good tournament and probably deserved to win.
At the end of this year Murray has managed to break that all important GS Duck, made major changes to aspects of his attitude/game, been the first Brit to reach a Wimbledon final since the dark ages, played a brilliant Olympic Tournament managing to block the Gold Medal that Fed had probably already made a space for in his trophy cabinet before the games started, gone a big way to altering the attitude of the Great British Public, and got to Number 3. Time for a period of reflection before next year I think. Finally Murray lost today - lets count our blessings it would be much harder being a Tsonga or Ferrer supporter, they frequently get very close but don't seem to manage to ever get the really big prizes.
I too hate a lot of the negativity - mainly because I am soft, and sometimes I do think that people are over critical, but I have learnt that a lot of it is said in the heat of the moment. Gnome does have the option of not coming on here. I don't think new folks like me have the right to march into other people's playgrounds, and expect people to change their ways, even though I have questioned things. People like TMH and Boogers have been here seemingly for ever. If folks like Gnome or me don't like it then we always have the option setting up our own "Only positive comments permitted forum".  However I think I will stay on here if that's ok.
Another waffle........

I'm with you Masaka. we've suffered so many disappointments the last 7 years. I for one am content that Andy is fufilling his potential, and playing world class tennis.

Where were we this time last year huh? celebrating a win in shanghai for about an hour maybe...wondering why Andy couldn't quite do it on the biggest stage? wondering if Andy would get himself a coach some direction? burnt out? injured? .....that wasnt a particuarly good place was it?
IP Logged
ProdigyEng
Veteran

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1629 on: October 15, 2012, 03:02 AM »

Had to post this on the Daily Mail Online in defense of mister Murray.....

The amount of hate Murray gets when he loses is a disgrace. Its' funny how NONE of you were anywhere to be seen when Murray demolished SmugFed in straight sets. You all soon turn up after he narrowly loses to one of the greatest Hard Court Players in the last 2/3 years and call him a minor player, who lucked out. KEEP IT SHUT! Murray is not a minor player, in the last 2/3 months he beat Djokovic for his maiden Grand Slam, which happened to be a hard court, and prior to that beat Federer for the Olympic Gold, when Federer happened to be World Number 1 and wanted a Golden Slam. The bitterness and Jealousy of one of Britain's most successful sports stars of 2012 really is laughable. You all sit behind your computers bashing him, when you couldn't even dream of achieving what he's achieved. Keep up the hate you deluded bunch of fools, Murray will have the last laugh when he wins yet more tournaments.

DJoker - Murray Era #2013
IP Logged
blueberryhill
World No 1

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1630 on: October 15, 2012, 06:43 AM »

@Iluvandy @11.06
I actually think that's the crux of it. I defend Andy to the hilt on other sites Sword fight
and admit I do get a little aerated  ranting when I come here see the criticism on his fan site. Rolling Eyes
IP Logged
tamila
Challenger Level

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1631 on: October 15, 2012, 07:30 AM »

I have just watched Nole's post match interview on court and he hit the nail on the head I think when he said that Andy basically ran out of stream which is so unusual.  I am sure had he been fit and well the result would have different.  If you look at the stats you can see the difference was minimal.  Their results are 3-3 fopr this year with Andy taking the most important, Olympics and USO.  I do not think it matters if he does not take a Masters this year as long as he goes deep into Paris and does as weel as possible at WTF.  He needs time to get over the virus as they take alot our of your system especially if you try to keep going.

Roll on next year with a different schedule and with the pressure off hopefully.
IP Logged
flowerpower
Challenger Level

Let your racket do the talking

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1632 on: October 15, 2012, 07:32 AM »

At first a look on the bright sight of yesterday Smile

- The Chinese people with their Scottish flags Smile
-  Good for tennis to have such matches in a final
-  Such great tennis to watch
- Andy was only one point away...
- he did win from Federer to reach the final
- he loose from the former (and next) number one, it's not a shame...

And the other side, I'll think about it and returm later...
[ Last edit by flowerpower October 15, 2012, 09:11 AM ] IP Logged
backhandslice
Seed

You love my shenanigans. Admit it.

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1633 on: October 15, 2012, 08:25 AM »

Q.  It was one helluva match.  Seemed to take a lot out of you.

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah.  Matches like that tend to.  There were a lot of long rallies, long points, long games.  A very physical match.

Q.  How do you comment on the organization of this tournament this year compared to last year?  Do you think they improved this year?

ANDY MURRAY:  I mean, every time I've come here, it's been very good, the facilities.  I don't think they've changed much, but they also didn't need to.  You have excellent food here.  They have a lot of practice courts.  They have a good gym on site.  They're very, very organized.

So that's why it's been one of the best tournaments on the tour the last few years.  It doesn't need to change much.

Q.  Five match points came and went.  How long is it going to take to get over that one?

ANDY MURRAY:  Not long.  You know, I maybe had one on my serve, I think.  I mean, I said yesterday jokingly, but when you talk so much about serving matches out, going on and on about it, it's bound to happen at some stage.

Yeah, it was a disappointing one to lose.  I've lost tougher matches than that before in the biggest events.  So I'm sure I'll recover from it pretty well.

Q.  And physically how are you holding up now?  You seemed to be very stiff and sore, and that was a long match.  Did you have any difficulties during the match?

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, it was a long match.  I'm sure he'll feel the same.  It was like 3 hours, 30 minutes.  It's not the first week of the year either.  Also after the US Open, for me anyway, took a bit of time off and stuff.

You're never going to be in 100% peak physical condition in terms of your endurance, so I struggled a bit towards the end.

Q.  The match can go either way.  Novak said on court he got lucky and you were the better player.  Do you feel the same?

ANDY MURRAY:  Well, the third set he played better than me.  The first set, there were a lot of breaks.  It was fairly even.  The second set, I probably played a little bit better.  But he came up, served very well on the match points.  The one match point I had on my serve, he hit the forehand onto the edge of the line.  I mean, on the game where I also served for the match, he also came up with some good shots.

It's not like I threw the match away.  I didn't make I don't think any real glaring errors or anything.  When I had my chances, he just served very well and hit a couple of lines when he needed to.

Q.  We've seen this year there's not much between you and Novak.  Is he for you the benchmark of where you need to get to to progress on?

ANDY MURRAY:  I don't know.  I mean, on hard courts I think his game's right up there.  We played a few times on the hard courts this year.  Most have been incredibly tight, very close matches.  And, yeah, the one today, you know, like you say, could have gone either way.

I feel like my game's there.  If I had won one of whatever it was, one of five match points, I'd be sitting here in a slightly different mood.  Obviously I would have liked to have turned that around.

But, yeah, he's been at the top of the game now, likely to finish No. 1, that will be two years in a row.  Of course, the No. 1 player in the world is what you want to get to.

Q.  Some players can have a bit of a dip after the sort of summer you had, Olympics, US Open.  I imagine you must feel pretty happy with semifinals in Tokyo and the final here?

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, I mean, I played pretty well for the most part.  You know, the match against Stepanek wasn't particularly good, but I played fairly well in Tokyo.  Could have been a different story.  I could have come away with two wins.

But, you know, last year I came away from Asia with three wins.  I didn't win a Grand Slam and the Olympics.  Kind of a big year.  Didn't go necessarily as I would have liked.  This year I would have signed up for the way I played here and having won the US Open.

Q.  You obviously didn't get the happy ending you were looking for in Shanghai.  Is the emotion one of frustration for you getting so close?

ANDY MURRAY:  No.  To be honest, I don't feel that frustrated right now.  You know, maybe previously that would have been the case.  There were obviously some moments in the match, I guess both of us showed a bit of frustration.  We obviously wanted to win a lot.

But, I mean, I feel okay just now.  I'm sure after a few days, you know, I'll get over it.  But, yeah, you're disappointed to lose matches like that when you obviously had the chance to win them.

Q.  You do sound incredibly philosophical about putting things into place very quickly.  It's still very fresh in your mind.  Is that just purely because of having won a Grand Slam or is it because of the lady you've been talking to, or you've come to a realization?

ANDY MURRAY:  Probably be a combination of a lot of things.  I think also, yeah, I'm obviously disappointed I lost the match.  But, yeah, I mean, it was a top quality match.  Both of us played some unbelievable tennis at times.

Like I say, it was literally the difference of one, two centimeters in winning the match and losing it.  You have to put things into perspective.  It was obviously a bit frustrating, but it was so close and could have been a different outcome.

Yeah, probably having won the US Open may help a bit with that, being able to deal with it a little bit better.  But it's still obviously disappointing to lose.

Q.  Have you heard that Roger Federer recently made a comment on you?  He said you may be the future No. 1.  What do you think of his comment?  Do you still think you need to make some change for that goal?

ANDY MURRAY:  I think I need to keep going about it like matches like tonight in the same way I have been the last eight, nine months really, being aggressive, going for my shots.  Then, yeah, hopefully I'll win more matches than I lose playing that way.

In terms of getting to No. 1, I'm going to say it all the time, it's an incredibly hard thing to do and it's not something right now I'm focusing on.  I think mathematically this year it is impossible for me to finish No. 1, so I don't need to answer that any more this year.

But, you know, it's something I'll try to achieve at some stage in my career, if I can.
IP Logged
xxdanixx
Seed

Dream big, because little dreams have little magic

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1634 on: October 15, 2012, 09:05 AM »

ANDY MURRAY:  Yeah, I mean, I played pretty well for the most part.  You know, the match against Stepanek wasn't particularly good, but I played fairly well in Tokyo.  Could have been a different story.  I could have come away with two wins.

But, you know, last year I came away from Asia with three wins.  I didn't win a Grand Slam and the Olympics.  Kind of a big year.  Didn't go necessarily as I would have liked.  This year I would have signed up for the way I played here and having won the US Open.

Thanks so much for posting John!I have to say,I'm really glad Andy is taking this attitude about it,because it's so true.So glad to see that while he's disappointed,he's still (rightly) very proud of his recent achievements,and is looking at the positives,rather than getting mired in negativity.Good man Andy!
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 [109] 110 111 112 ... 115 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »