Home Search Calendar Help Login Register
Did you miss your activation email?
MurraysWorld Discussions  >  Murray Community  >  Andy Talk  >  Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Poll
Question: Predict the outcome?
Not on your life. - 7 (16.7%)
Murray in 2. - 8 (19%)
Murray in 3 - 25 (59.5%)
Djokovic in 2. - 2 (4.8%)
Djokovic in 3. - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 Go Down Reply
Author

Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic

(Read 21311 times)
Caz
Murraymaniac

I'd like to be the good person my dog thinks I am!

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1650 on: October 15, 2012, 02:22 PM »

I guess a lot of us on here don't realise the impact of our comments, and to think they may rebound on Andy is quite a sobering thought. I'd like to think that no-one on here who is clearly a total Murray fan would want that to happen.  God knows it must be hard enough for him without having to grapple with crap from his fans.  I. for one, am taking all of this on board. 
A good point very well made Elly! Though I've been around here long enough to get well used to reading some negative comments on the match threads after a loss, I can't ever remember it being as bad as this. When I think of what Andy has achieved this year, it saddens me and the thought that he might read them makes me feel sick! I guess there's just no pleasing some people! I always thought the word 'fan' and the word 'supporter' were one and the same thing! Seems I was wrong. It now appears that 'fans' only support when he's winning.........when he doesn't need support! I think Andy put in a tremendous effort this week, and to be honest, given his state of health, I never expected him to get this far. I sooo wanted him to beat Fed, just for his own peace of mind........So he could consolidate his gold medal and lay his old bogey to rest. I was surprised and delighted when he did! Although I voted for him to beat Djoko in 3, I never held out any expectations of a win, because I knew, as we all did, that he wasn't 100%. I voted with my heart, rather than with my head. Again, I was delighted that he managed to put up such an incredible fight. Yes, it was very disappointing that he didn't manage to convert 5 matchpoints, but I doubt that any of us were anywhere near as disappointed as Andy! No doubt he'll be kicking himself for some time to come and the last thing he needs is his 'so called' fans kicking him while he's down. He did his best on the day. What more can we ask!
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1651 on: October 15, 2012, 02:30 PM »

A good point very well made Elly! Though I've been around here long enough to get well used to reading some negative comments on the match threads after a loss, I can't ever remember it being as bad as this. When I think of what Andy has achieved this year, it saddens me and the thought that he might read them makes me feel sick! I guess there's just no pleasing some people! I always thought the word 'fan' and the word 'supporter' were one and the same thing! Seems I was wrong. It now appears that 'fans' only support when he's winning.........when he doesn't need support! I think Andy put in a tremendous effort this week, and to be honest, given his state of health, I never expected him to get this far. I sooo wanted him to beat Fed, just for his own peace of mind........So he could consolidate his gold medal and lay his old bogey to rest. I was surprised and delighted when he did! Although I voted for him to beat Djoko in 3, I never held out any expectations of a win, because I knew, as we all did, that he wasn't 100%. I voted with my heart, rather than with my head. Again, I was delighted that he managed to put up such an incredible fight. Yes, it was very disappointing that he didn't manage to convert 5 matchpoints, but I doubt that any of us were anywhere near as disappointed as Andy! No doubt he'll be kicking himself for some time to come and the last thing he needs is his 'so called' fans kicking him while he's down. He did his best on the day. What more can we ask!

I haven't read all of the comments on this site Today or even many, but I for one agree with the above.
Andy was superb against Federer his ROS was quite unbelievable and a straight sets win was more than I anticipated although Federer himself had a hand in it. I knew Andy would up his game, and he did.
Last night Novak and Andy both showed us emphatically why they will be the future and now present of mens tennis playing a quite breathtaking classic of a final.
Andy ran out of steam at the end that's all. he certainly wasnt 100% and thats what you need to be facing Novak on a hardcourt, ask Nadal.
Remember many players after they win their first slam disappear off the map. But not our Andy this loss has not changed anything for me and people should have a bit of perspective on it.
Andy despite losing has done us all proud so please lighten up on him and yourselves. The future is bright.
[ Last edit by theycanbillme October 15, 2012, 02:43 PM ] IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1652 on: October 15, 2012, 02:45 PM »

I don't know if Apollo remembers but Tennis Magazine wanted to interview some of Sampras' fans in 2000 I think as they were doing a cover story on Sampras and they chose our site to do the interview. Joy, our president back then, had offered two posters to do the interview but the reporter wanted to read the forum first and wanted to pick his own, so he pretty much ended up reading the entire site. Samprasfanz forum used to be an email based forum so it was a bit different than this one, but the point is, we really didn't have to worry about this reporter reading anything bad or negative, because there was virtually none. Anyway, long story short, he did choose someone but that someone didn't want to give an interview over the phone, so the whole deal kind of got postponed.

It was a cover story of course and it did get published but my point is, once Andy becomes more and more popular and becomes No. 1, similar things can happen here. And if it does happen, it won't be a fine reading for them though they may find it quite juicy, but they just might find it surprising that some of his fans weren’t very positive about his game all that much and at times it got even nasty on his own fan site. Also, I do feel that Andy reads this forum. If you watch the Bio channel, you’ll see that almost all the celebrities and athletes read about their own performances, reviews, fans’ reactions etc. to see how well he or she’s received by fans, public etc. and I think that’s quite normal and I don’t feel our Andy is any exception to that.  Andy does love his fans but he’s been also criticized enough in every possible way by his own country people and to see some of his fans do it too is kind of sad. There’s something very selfish about this negative frustrations time and again even after what he’s done this year alone.  As if nothing’s really changed even after all that hard work.
[ Last edit by Emma Jean October 15, 2012, 02:50 PM ] IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1653 on: October 15, 2012, 03:00 PM »

I think the bottom line is that we are all on here and want our man to win - of course.  There are times when he wipes the floor with his opponent - times where he misses out by a baw hair (as some would say). Surely it is our job as fans to offer him the best support - not to get on his case. We do not have to see him as some God - just to see him as a very determined guy who does his best.  I did doubt for a long time, but I didn't come on here and shout about how disappointed I was or offer negative expletives and slag the guy off during match threads.  I think those who do need to take a long hard look at themselves.  Have you ever been No. 2 in the world at anything?  I know I haven't - and if I did achieve that I'd be laughing at the morons who sit in their armchairs and try to tell me how to do my job.
[ Last edit by Elly October 15, 2012, 03:06 PM ] IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1654 on: October 15, 2012, 03:00 PM »

There’s something very selfish about this negative frustrations time and again even after what he’s done this year alone.  As if nothing’s really changed even after all that hard work.

I have, after a hangover criticised Andy on this site.
His behaviour has been in the past very frustrating,
But not now, I can barely recognise the player that is playing now to even 12 months ago.
Andy Murray will be the next number 1 player in the world, of that I have no doubt. Soon there will be no stopping him and we have a lot to look forward to.
The penny has well and truly dropped, that much is clear and it would be absurd to start complaining now.
Not after this long being in the trenches with him and seeing how he has come through & delivered on the biggest stages.
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1655 on: October 15, 2012, 03:02 PM »

During the match yesterday, there were over 1300 posts from probably over 40 different people.

Out of all those numerous posts, a mere handful were negative. Gnome quoted some negative comments, but didn't quote the positive ones from the same posters he's referring to.

I don't agree with some posters remarks at all, but I believe everyone is entitled to express themselves. Some people are completely calm until they get behind the wheel in their car.. we all react differently to sorrow/joy. Look at how calm Andy is until he's on-court and gets passionate.

I dunno.. maybe the match thread should go to Underground? Shrug
IP Logged
Emma Jean
Veteran

We will be Victorious

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1656 on: October 15, 2012, 03:19 PM »

I have, after a hangover criticised Andy on this site.
His behaviour has been in the past very frustrating,
But not now, I can barely recognise the player that is playing now to even 12 months ago.
Andy Murray will be the next number 1 player in the world, of that I have no doubt. Soon there will be no stopping him and we have a lot to look forward to.
The penny has well and truly dropped, that much is clear and it would be absurd to start complaining now.
Not after this long being in the trenches with him and seeing how he has come through & delivered on the biggest stages.

I don't mind constructive criticism at all and I really think we should have that going on here, but as you can see, every time Andy loses, some fans end up fighting each other and more often than not, it’s about these negative comments and yesterday was no exception. I've spent years defending Andy on the other forum and here I've done so quite a few times already and it just makes me sad. There are times I get really frustrated with Andy (if you remember the time right after this year's AO), but I just feel that things should change now to give Andy a proper break. He owes us nothing. Not a thing.

But anyway, you can see what it does afterwards. It typically upsets some fans as usual and instead of the match, which I thought is worth talking about, we tend to get off course because of this ongoing silly issue. 
IP Logged
michelle
Seed

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1657 on: October 15, 2012, 03:24 PM »

During the match yesterday, there were over 1300 posts from probably over 40 different people.

Out of all those numerous posts, a mere handful were negative. Gnome quoted some negative comments, but didn't quote the positive ones from the same posters he's referring to.

I don't agree with some posters remarks at all, but I believe everyone is entitled to express themselves. Some people are completely calm until they get behind the wheel in their car.. we all react differently to sorrow/joy. Look at how calm Andy is until he's on-court and gets passionate.

I dunno.. maybe the match thread should go to Underground? Shrug
Yes we should be free to express ourselves but there is a time and a place, I think what some of us are saying that if we are feeling negative and angry and feel the need to write it do it, but perhaps not a public site where it can hurt Andy. If we are not calm behind the wheel , then we shouldn't drive on a public highway where we can hurt someone, but go and drive somewhere private and get our anger etc outside ourselves.
IP Logged
theycanbillme
ATP Level

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1658 on: October 15, 2012, 03:33 PM »

I don't mind constructive criticism at all and I really think we should have that going on here, but as you can see, every time Andy loses, some fans end up fighting each other and more often than not, it’s about these negative comments and yesterday was no exception. I've spent years defending Andy on the other forum and here I've done so quite a few times already and it just makes me sad. There are times I get really frustrated with Andy (if you remember the time right after this year's AO), but I just feel that things should change now to give Andy a proper break. He owes us nothing. Not a thing.

But anyway, you can see what it does afterwards. It typically upsets some fans as usual and instead of the match, which I thought is worth talking about, we tend to get off course because of this ongoing silly issue.  

I think people will soon have to review their perspective on Andy as he has moved on, even with the occasional murdered tennis racquet still going to the great tennis court in the sky.
Perhaps they are not ready to do that yet as it has been a long wait & a long time with the attended feelings that go with the Murray rollercoaster..
It really isn't a big deal to lose to one of the possibly greatest players ever on his best surface, and Andy to me is at least as good as Novak.
But it is not reasonable to expect him to beat him every time they meet.
Would be boring too after a while.
IP Logged
Elly
Murraymaniac

The mind doubts, but the heart never does.

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1659 on: October 15, 2012, 03:38 PM »

I think people will soon have to review their perspective on Andy as he has moved on, even with the occasional murdered tennis racquet still going to the great tennis court in the sky.
Perhaps they are not ready to do that yet as it has been a long wait & a long time with the attended feelings that go with the Murray rollercoaster..
It really isn't a big deal to lose to one of the possibly greatest players ever on his best surface, and Andy to me is at least as good as Novak.
clap  Good, sensible and astute post!
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1660 on: October 15, 2012, 04:25 PM »

Scot, I too believe that people are entitled to express themselves. It just saddened me to see 'how' some people expressed themselves, especially in view of his magnificent achievements this year and coupled with the fact that we 'all' knew Andy was still fighting off a chest infection! It made me wonder if some people really appreciated just how 'hard' Andy has worked this year to get to this point. Maybe those people should try walking a mile in his shoes before they express themselves.......LOL in their dreams anyway! Eh......This is only me exercising my right to express myself by the way!  Whistle
IP Logged
Caz
Murraymaniac

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1661 on: October 15, 2012, 04:31 PM »

Yep.......I agree! Andy's not as good as Nole at raquet smashing though! It must have been in smithereens! They had to sweep the court!  w00t Oh well.......Something else for Andy to practice then!  lmao
IP Logged
scotnadian
World No 1

Give me your JMac, Henman, Cash & 2 balls.

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1662 on: October 15, 2012, 04:56 PM »

Eh......This is only me exercising my right to express myself by the way!  Whistle
Exactly my point. hug
Like I said.. I don't agree with some posters remarks at all, but I do believe we all have the right to express ourselves.

Or maybe we should have 2 separate match threads. One 'G' rated, and one 'R', then folks can choose which one to join into.
Or maybe, as I said earlier, it should be moved to Underground so the general public couldn't access it.

And if you're reading this Andy, you are brilliant and I love you!   Heart
IP Logged
ally
Challenger Level

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1663 on: October 15, 2012, 05:55 PM »

I just look on it as a case of 'some you win, some you lose'.  The man has had a great year this year, winning when it really counted.  They all count, but you know what I mean, Olympic Gold and US Open Champion.
IP Logged
Masaka
ATP Level

Re: Shanghai Final: Murray vs Djokovic « Reply #1664 on: October 15, 2012, 06:02 PM »

I think one of the issues was simply the way Gnome came here and started attacking people a bit brutally. I know when I first joined I commented about the negativity, but I think I was a little more subtle about it.  Just like yesterday when I asked people to be kind in the match write up. I think overall if Mr M does read this site, he will recognise that many of the comments are his supporters equivalent of his in match murdering of innocent tennis rackets, (which by the way I think is a strategy be has been encouraged to deploy, to vent the immediate frustration, and move rapidly on). Overridingly the comments are positive and the joy in his achievements shines through. However if any of the mods were up for amending the title of the Chardy match, that I felt was unkind and it still makes me wince , that would be appreciated.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 108 109 110 [111] 112 113 114 115 Go Up Reply 
« previous next »